Coming soon...(maybe?) 80% for dummies..

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • randomuser

Ultimate Member
    Nov 12, 2018
    Baltimore County
    Epic. Thanks for posting. Personally, I think its functionality and simplicity is beautiful. Sure its 150-200 (according to their site) but no real tools or jig needed. It's cheaper than a 50 dollar 80% lower. I won't order one but I think its awesome.

GuitarmanNick

Ultimate Member
    Jan 9, 2017
    Laurel
    No bolt catch, hammer smacking a brass spacer, and an open chassis make me think that this is more of a novelty than a practicality. Looks like a cool project that I would not want to carry into a fight!

Allen65

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jun 29, 2013
    Anne Arundel County
    I'm kinda surprised if ATF considers this kit a non-gun. The logic behind allowing receiver blanks to be considered not a firearm is that they require skilled (okay, maybe not that skilled) machining, and proper placement and drilling of selector, hammer pin, and trigger pin holes, to complete. This looks like it only requires simple assembly.

kdmag88

Jan 10, 2018
    I've thought about doing something very similar recently, just for myself, not to sell. But their website says 150 to 200 dollars for one lower kit, with as cheap as 80 lowers are right now, I just cant imagine spending that much. I always give credit to people who think outside the box, but man price needs to come down.

I'm kinda surprised if ATF considers this kit a non-gun. The logic behind allowing receiver blanks to be considered not a firearm is that they require skilled (okay, maybe not that skilled) machining, and proper placement and drilling of selector, hammer pin, and trigger pin holes, to complete. This looks like it only requires simple assembly.

If you watch the video he makes it clear that the holes that you mentioned do NOT come pre drilled. He drilled those himself to facilitate a quicker assembly in the video.

I've thought about doing something very similar recently, just for myself, not to sell. But their website says 150 to 200 dollars for one lower kit, with as cheap as 80 lowers are right now, I just cant imagine spending that much. I always give credit to people who think outside the box, but man price needs to come down.

If you already have the jig you are correct, but a decent jig (80% arms or 5D) is going to set you back $100 or more...And have you priced 80% lowers lately? $50 and up is the going price.

Rockzilla

Ultimate Member
    Feb 6, 2010
    55.751244 / 37.618423
    If you already have the jig you are correct, but a decent jig (80% arms or 5D) is going to set you back $100 or more...And have you priced 80% lowers lately? $50 and up is the going price.

Yep ...time for the vendors to stick it to us...like the last Clinton scare..
    anything involving parts, parts kits, etc., the "new bill"

look for Jig's to go up also.. basically anything to do with 80%

-Rock

kdmag88

Jan 10, 2018

that depends, "my friend" has made a few without a jig. You can find dimensions on how to lay out the holes online. Yeah, aluminum's 80's can be found for around 50, a third of the plate kits cost. Polys can be bought for under 20. May not be top quality, but same can be said for this plate kit. As long as it goes bang....

that depends, "my friend" has made a few without a jig. You can find dimensions on how to lay out the holes online. Yeah, aluminum's 80's can be found for around 50, a third of the plate kits cost. Polys can be bought for under 20. May not be top quality, but same can be said for this plate kit. As long as it goes bang....

I don't have the skill or time to mill an 80 without a jig and neither do most people.

The first 80 I did was poly...it is now the lower for a dedicated AR22 after seeing what relatively few rounds (few thousand) of 5.56 did to a friend's polymer lower...

An 80% aluminum lower might only cost $50 but time is money and it will take far longer to mill one than assemble this. I've done 9 aluminum 80 lowers (so far) and although the last couple only took an hour or so I want to try one of these...Because as you are assembling this, you are also installing the LPK...I just got a 300 BO pistol kit in the mail today (without lower) I may save it for this...I have a beautiful set of 1911 grips that would look great..

Docster

Ultimate Member
    Jul 19, 2010
    --He stated a jig was going to be included to assist drilling

-- A Polymer 80 Glock clone only requires sanding and drilling of 3 hole in plastic yet is still not considered a firearm. In lieu of sanding/dremeling the plastic pieces all the way down they can be cut nearly all the way with tin snips in 5 seconds. Hardly a machining skill.

--Really, who cares about looks when states are considering bans on AR 15s??

erwos

The Hebrew Hammer
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 25, 2009
    Rockville, MD
    I 3D printed something like this a while back, and it seems to work - haven't test fired it yet. I'm sure this will work; the question is whether there's going to be stresses put on the screws causing them to shear, ala screw AK builds.

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015

Yeah, I wonder if they’ve run it by the ATF. Seems like since there is only assembly required they’d consider it a firearm.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Rotorboater

Latest threads

Top Bottom