• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • TylerFirearms

, , Class-7 FFL, MRFD
    Industry Partner
    Dec 27, 2013
    Halethorpe, MD
    I used mine at the range today, and overall it worked pretty well, I did notice it "counting" slide drops a couple of times. I need to go back through the app to delete those. I also noticed that the mounting screw was about to fall out when I finished my session. Make sure to check yours if you use it for live fire (was mounted on a PX4 in 40 FWIW)

Also, interesting that my scores were significantly lower, but I guess that's to be expected. Dry vs live is very different, and frankly I have a lot of work to do on both.

Make sure you tell the app that you’re doing live fire. It adjusts the sensitivity of the reading and might eliminate the slide drops.

MEGARMS

KnowNothing
    Jun 3, 2012
    Carroll County
    Just picked up a Mantis X at the Great American Outdoor Show and joined the MDshooters Group (t7731mg).

Anyone have any suggestions on how to get started with this thing? I went through the Mantis X Introduction Tutorial last night and have started on the Basic Markmanship course.

I am sure I need to give this thing some time, because at this point, the feedback seems to be overwhelming and all over the board. Breaking wrist up, Heeling, Tightening Grip, Pushing Forward, Tightening Fingers, etc (this was all in one 10 shot session). I have idea how I should be using the Hold movement and Trigger press movement charts other than to look at it.

So again, I am looking for some suggestions from those of you that have had success with this little gadget.

ToolAA

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jun 17, 2016
    God's Country
    Just picked up a Mantis X at the Great American Outdoor Show and joined the MDshooters Group (t7731mg).

Anyone have any suggestions on how to get started with this thing? I went through the Mantis X Introduction Tutorial last night and have started on the Basic Markmanship course.

I am sure I need to give this thing some time, because at this point, the feedback seems to be overwhelming and all over the board. Breaking wrist up, Heeling, Tightening Grip, Pushing Forward, Tightening Fingers, etc (this was all in one 10 shot session). I have idea how I should be using the Hold movement and Trigger press movement charts other than to look at it.

So again, I am looking for some suggestions from those of you that have had success with this little gadget.

I’ve had one for about a year but at first I really didn’t think it was helping. Let me explain.

Prior to buying this I had very little pistol experience. I took an Intro to IDPA class and sucked badly. My range trips were just all over the place. I got a delta point RDS and seemed to do much better but still not good.

So like you when I first tested it out the readings were all over the place. I didn’t feel like I was improving. The problems seemed random indicating no one clear fundamental marksmanship issue. I’ll say that I sort of stopped using it for a while.

Some time after I got Lasik and I immediately noticed a substantial improvement in pistol shooting. I put quite a few live rounds down range and started to understand that I was having a huge issue seeing the target and sights. I removed the RedDot and realized that I was adjusting the dot aim point to compensate for bad shooting habits.

When I tried the Mantis again I was still pretty bad but I did start to see a pattern of pushing the gun down. Then I tried to correct. This is when the Mantis became useful. I began to pay much more attention to my grip and trigger control. I mean taking a real long time just holding and shooting and seeing how the device recorded my score. I would dry fire 100-200 times at a session carefully paying attention how i held the gun, how I positioned my arms, how I pulled the trigger. Eventually started to see consistent scores in the 90’s.

I then setup the audio feedback to ding with any hit over 90. I stopped looking at the ipad and just worked on firing faster and more consistent and keeping track in my head if I was hitting above 90 most of the time.

I also got a CO2 double action blow back pistol. This really helped practice the drills where rapid firing is measured.

Eventually I came up with a new idea. A member here had given me some laser target thing. I set it up in my basement and started shooting the laser target with the Mantis x attached. I masked off the sensor to make just a 1/2” dia hit area. This provided even more feedback that correlated with the Mantis x scoring. The video link at the bottom shows the setup in action.

I’ve recently started taking the Mantis X to the range to record live fire sessions. Again at first my scores were really bad like in the 60’s but after a few sessions I’m improving and last week my average for 50 rounds was 76.

I recently attached it to my .22 Rifle and practiced standing offhand shooting at the same 1/2” target from 45ft. At first my scores were crap but very quickly I was doing better.

So overall I find it a useful tool. It’s no substitute for live shooting but it’s a good supplement to practice.

Good luck.

https://youtu.be/UPOQbhyA3bo

MEGARMS

KnowNothing
    Jun 3, 2012
    Carroll County
    I’ve had one for about a year but at first I really didn’t think it was helping. Let me explain.

Prior to buying this I had very little pistol experience. I took an Intro to IDPA class and sucked badly. My range trips were just all over the place. I got a delta point RDS and seemed to do much better but still not good.

So like you when I first tested it out the readings were all over the place. I didn’t feel like I was improving. The problems seemed random indicating no one clear fundamental marksmanship issue. I’ll say that I sort of stopped using it for a while.

Some time after I got Lasik and I immediately noticed a substantial improvement in pistol shooting. I put quite a few live rounds down range and started to understand that I was having a huge issue seeing the target and sights. I removed the RedDot and realized that I was adjusting the dot aim point to compensate for bad shooting habits.

When I tried the Mantis again I was still pretty bad but I did start to see a pattern of pushing the gun down. Then I tried to correct. This is when the Mantis became useful. I began to pay much more attention to my grip and trigger control. I mean taking a real long time just holding and shooting and seeing how the device recorded my score. I would dry fire 100-200 times at a session carefully paying attention how i held the gun, how I positioned my arms, how I pulled the trigger. Eventually started to see consistent scores in the 90’s.

I then setup the audio feedback to ding with any hit over 90. I stopped looking at the ipad and just worked on firing faster and more consistent and keeping track in my head if I was hitting above 90 most of the time.

I also got a CO2 double action blow back pistol. This really helped practice the drills where rapid firing is measured.

Eventually I came up with a new idea. A member here had given me some laser target thing. I set it up in my basement and started shooting the laser target with the Mantis x attached. I masked off the sensor to make just a 1/2” dia hit area. This provided even more feedback that correlated with the Mantis x scoring. The video link at the bottom shows the setup in action.

I’ve recently started taking the Mantis X to the range to record live fire sessions. Again at first my scores were really bad like in the 60’s but after a few sessions I’m improving and last week my average for 50 rounds was 76.

I recently attached it to my .22 Rifle and practiced standing offhand shooting at the same 1/2” target from 45ft. At first my scores were crap but very quickly I was doing better.

So overall I find it a useful tool. It’s no substitute for live shooting but it’s a good supplement to practice.

Good luck.

https://youtu.be/UPOQbhyA3bo

Thank you for taking the time to write all of that up. I have been using the system for a few days now. I have found that turning on the audio scoring is the most useful tool. I find it much easier to try and duplicate the 95+ scores than going back and using their tips.

If the weather cooperates, I plan to get out and use it while running some live fire drills .

lisa788

Jan 13, 2019
    Thanks for the heads up on the Mantis X3. I bought the MantisX a few weeks ago...still have time to return it and get the new system instead. Hoping the new version will mount to my Sig P365 without an adapter.

DanGuy48

Ultimate Member
    Quick question. I used my Mantis X for the first time last week. Pretty cool. The RSO told me it was displaying a diagnosis for each shot, e.g. thumbing, pushing, etc. I know it saves the trace pattern, video replay and gives you a circle with indicators on the margin but does it save those verbal comments for each shot somewhere?

Ah, never mind, found it while typing this............will post this instead of erasing in case others might be as clueless as I am. If you go to history and click on the bar for a session in the histogram at the bottom, it brings up a screen with two concentric circles, your average score, and red tags around the periphery of the inner circle. Clicking on any of those tags will bring up a detailed window of the problem.

Edit: so in looking through the app’s comments, I didn’t seem to have any dominant type of behavior; it included most problems at one time or another, nothing consistent throughout the session which seems weird to me. My scores were decent enough (I think) with one session below 90 (89.4) a high of 94 something and an average of 92. I’m not sure what to make of it when I don’t seem to have a specific problem to address????. Is this typical of what other folks see, a smorgasbord of little problems?

ToolAA

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jun 17, 2016
    God's Country
    Quick question. I used my Mantis X for the first time last week. Pretty cool. The RSO told me it was displaying a diagnosis for each shot, e.g. thumbing, pushing, etc. I know it saves the trace pattern, video replay and gives you a circle with indicators on the margin but does it save those verbal comments for each shot somewhere?

Ah, never mind, found it while typing this............will post this instead of erasing in case others might be as clueless as I am. If you go to history and click on the bar for a session in the histogram at the bottom, it brings up a screen with two concentric circles, your average score, and red tags around the periphery of the inner circle. Clicking on any of those tags will bring up a detailed window of the problem.

Edit: so in looking through the app’s comments, I didn’t seem to have any dominant type of behavior; it included most problems at one time or another, nothing consistent throughout the session which seems weird to me. My scores were decent enough (I think) with one session below 90 (89.4) a high of 94 something and an average of 92. I’m not sure what to make of it when I don’t seem to have a specific problem to address????. Is this typical of what other folks see, a smorgasbord of little problems?

If your dry fire scores are averaging high 85+ then you may not be doing anything consistently wrong. Keep practicing and examine your worst individual shots and see if there is any trend there.

Next try to use it for live fire too. After practicing several thousand dry fire shots and getting averages in the mid 90’s I had a chance to test live. My very first live fire practice was horrible. I think I scored low 60’s. However I have about 200 live fire rounds now with the Mantis and the last session wasn’t bad, coming in at the mid 80’s.

DanGuy48

Ultimate Member
    If your dry fire scores are averaging high 85+ then you may not be doing anything consistently wrong. Keep practicing and examine your worst individual shots and see if there is any trend there.

Next try to use it for live fire too. After practicing several thousand dry fire shots and getting averages in the mid 90’s I had a chance to test live. My very first live fire practice was horrible. I think I scored low 60’s. However I have about 200 live fire rounds now with the Mantis and the last session wasn’t bad, coming in at the mid 80’s.

Thanks. I should have been more clear. I’ve not used it for dry fire yet. Since I’m close to TMGN, it’s just too easy to run over there and live fire, so that’s all I’ve done so far. It just seemed odd to me that I had such a mix of behaviors although nothing that I could put my finger on as a big contributor.

ToolAA

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jun 17, 2016
    God's Country
    Thanks. I should have been more clear. I’ve not used it for dry fire yet. Since I’m close to TMGN, it’s just too easy to run over there and live fire, so that’s all I’ve done so far. It just seemed odd to me that I had such a mix of behaviors although nothing that I could put my finger on as a big contributor.

If you are scoring 85+ in live fire exercises then thats a good start for sure. Just curious which pistol are you using?

DanGuy48

Ultimate Member
    If you are scoring 85+ in live fire exercises then thats a good start for sure. Just curious which pistol are you using?

Stock Glock G19 Gen4 MOS with RMR dual illuminated. I’m 71 now and focusing on the front sight got to be a royal PIA. I like being able to focus at infinity and see the superimposed dot clearly. My far vision is good but that distance at the end of my reach and closer is poor.

ToolAA

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jun 17, 2016
    God's Country
    Stock Glock G19 Gen4 MOS with RMR dual illuminated. I’m 71 now and focusing on the front sight got to be a royal PIA. I like being able to focus at infinity and see the superimposed dot clearly. My far vision is good but that distance at the end of my reach and closer is poor.

I’m in agreement that having the RDS helps quite a bit with respect to seeing the target and sights. Lately I have been wearing +1.0 safety glasses. The target at 25yds looks just slightly out of focus but I can see the sights well enough to get a sight picture.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Eric_Hehl

Latest threads

Top Bottom