• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • dreadpirate

Ultimate Member
    Mar 7, 2010
    Cuba on the Chesapeake
    This is supposed to be 100% pure Tung oil. It looks likes it curdled. has it gone bad?

Attachments

• 20180809_204505.jpg
      20180809_204505.jpg
      49 KB · Views: 308

marko

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Jan 28, 2009
    Oil (or petroleum) base products do "Pill" over time.
    You can go to a paint store and get a cheap Cone Strainer to remove blobs and the 'pills'.
    Lame - but can be used as touch up for old paint.

I would NOT use this stuff you show in your pics on anything valuable. It's obviously 'gone'.

iH8DemLibz

When All Else Fails.
    Apr 1, 2013
    Libtardistan
    I wouldn't use that.

Those solids probably include what ever hardeners are in the oil.

Thereby taking hardeners away from the remaining oil.

Thereby making the remaining oil more difficult to harden/dry/cure properly.

iH8DemLibz

When All Else Fails.
    Apr 1, 2013
    Libtardistan
    That stuff isn't expensive.

No wood project worth working on is worth taking the chance.

The last thing a person wants is a finish that won't fully cure. And by fully, I mean fully. Not just a surface cure.

Toss it and buy a fresh can.

Threeband

The M1 Does My Talking
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 30, 2006
    Carroll County
    I have some that's at least ten years old. It's probably been two years since I've looked at it, but I don't recall seeing it do anything like that.

What happens if you thin some of it 50-50 with mineral spirits, then shake it really well to mix it?

I doubt it would seriously mess up a Garand. Try rubbing some into some scrap wood. Try removing the stock and rubbing it into your barrel channel. Try rubbing it on the stock. See if it clouds.

Maybe try straining a few ounces, and compare the strained with the unstrained on a scrap of wood.

Or maybe just toss it and get some more.

Looking over these links https://www.google.com/search?q=Doe...9i57j69i61.24805j1j8&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8 people talk about the oil trying to cure in the bottle, bevause it reacts to air in the bottle. I saw a mention of people putting marbles in the bottle to reduce the air space.

fred2207

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Mar 14, 2013
    PG
    My dad used to boil tung oil or Lindseed oil, if he didn’t like the viscosity. However, as cheap as it is, I would just buy a new small can. Wife may not like you using her stove for that process — may not like the pungent aroma of boiling oil.:D

willtill

The Dude Abides
    MDS Supporter
    May 15, 2007
    If you are a frugal minimalist, you can take it to Lowes and maybe they can shake the can for you in their paint shaking/mixing machines. I'm sure they'll just do it for free and the solids may reblend back into the rest of the soup...

Bolts Rock

Living in Free America!
    Apr 8, 2012
    Northern Alabama
    As mentioned strain and test it on scrap. If it fully cures use it. If not pitch it and buy new. When you buy new also get a can of Bloxygen and squirt a little in the can before you seal it back up. I recommend a trip to Woodcraft for both.

Whoever mentioned driers, pure tung oil has no driers in it.

dreadpirate

Ultimate Member
    Mar 7, 2010
    Cuba on the Chesapeake
    As mentioned strain and test it on scrap. If it fully cures use it. If not pitch it and buy new. When you buy new also get a can of Bloxygen and squirt a little in the can before you seal it back up. I recommend a trip to Woodcraft for both.

Whoever mentioned driers, pure tung oil has no driers in it.

Thanks. One other bit of info, this can was exposed to near of just below freezing temps in my garage; probably did not help.

I did test on some scrap wood and on the inside of one of the hand guards; no discoloration; will see how it dries. The solid stuff seems to wipe off (or in, hard to tell) after application.

dreadpirate

Ultimate Member
    Mar 7, 2010
    Cuba on the Chesapeake
    Scrap wood treated last night with it; uncoated (top) versus coated (bottom) on pine scrap. Looks ok to me.

Attachments

• 20180810_103528.jpg
      20180810_103528.jpg
      33.8 KB · Views: 98
    • 20180810_103458.jpg
      20180810_103458.jpg
      42.7 KB · Views: 102

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members