• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • brianong18

Nobody
    Jul 11, 2011
    Pasadena, MD
    Rented a Kimber 1911 at a range awhile back. I loved the feel and the way 1911's shoot so I got myself one. I bought a SA Loaded SS back near the beginning of the year. I find that I don't shoot it that often mainly because of how much time it takes me to clean. How do you all go about cleaning your 1911s? I want to see if there are any tips to make the job easier so I can enjoy my 1911 more often.

ThawMyTongue

Ultimate Member
    Sep 26, 2009
    Dublin, OH
    What is the most time consuming part of your process? I have a SA Loaded Stainless as well and don't consider it THAT much harder to clean then my other guns.

Also how many times have you cleaned it? It gets easier and faster with time.

Freedom

Aug 15, 2011
    When I picked up my Colt Commander XSE, I found field stripping to be a real pain. To the point where I hated breaking down the pistol. I almost took my eye out more than once removing the recoil spring plug.

A Wilson Combat bushing wrench completely changed my feelings. With a bushing wrench and some practice, field stripping is no big deal anymore. It's never going to be as simple or fast as a Beretta 92FS (for example), but youtube has some good videos that really helped me.

Numidian

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Jul 25, 2007
    Shrewsbury, PA
    Do you have full length guide rod? Mine had one when I first got it. It also had a GI length guide rod in the box with it, so I swapped over. Now I don't need any tools to disassemble the gun at all, unless I'm feeling lazy or my thumbs are sore, then I grab a pen cap to push down the spring housing.

zombiehunter

Ultimate Member
    Jul 8, 2008
    When I picked up my Colt Commander XSE, I found field stripping to be a real pain. To the point where I hated breaking down the pistol. I almost took my eye out more than once removing the recoil spring plug.

A Wilson Combat bushing wrench completely changed my feelings. With a bushing wrench and some practice, field stripping is no big deal anymore. It's never going to be as simple or fast as a Beretta 92FS (for example), but youtube has some good videos that really helped me.

I LOVE when movies or tv shows (Eureka, Burn Notice) make that some kind of "test" or proof of badassery. It's probably the easiest gun in the world to take down

CWood

May 2, 2011
    S.MD
    For only a few hundred round shooting session I lock the slide open and clean it that way. I don't care for a one piece guide rod at all, but it can still be done. My 1911s are tight so I use a wrench made by Cylinder and Slide, Brownell's #206-000-043 . Makes things easier and safer. 1911s that are older and loose it only takes a seconds to get it appart and put it back together.

Mt Airy

Ultimate Member
    Nov 28, 2010
    Frederick county
    I clean mine every 4-5 hundred rounds and than just do the top end. I do the bottom end about once a year. most people over clean there 1911 and get that idiot scratch.

Indiana Jones

Wolverine
    Mar 18, 2011
    CCN
    I clean mine every 4-5 hundred rounds and than just do the top end. I do the bottom end about once a year. most people over clean there 1911 and get that idiot scratch.

i love the idiot scratch on my GI1911. it is suppossed to be there. every one of them ive seen has that scratch. so i guess ALOT of servicemen are idiots? ouch...? now my stainless smith and wesson doesnt have it. and NEVER will

Mt Airy

Ultimate Member
    Nov 28, 2010
    Frederick county
    i love the idiot scratch on my GI1911. it is suppossed to be there. every one of them ive seen has that scratch. so i guess ALOT of servicemen are idiots? ouch...? now my stainless smith and wesson doesnt have it. and NEVER will
    That is a term that has been around for a long time.

brianong18

Nobody
    Jul 11, 2011
    Pasadena, MD
    Thanks for the replies everyone. I normally do a basic field strip. Breakdown is easy. It's just all the extra little recesses and grooves that are a PITA. I guess some qtips or pipe cleaner would help like others have suggested.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Spb5205

Latest threads

Top Bottom