• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Patrick

MSI Executive Member
    Apr 26, 2009
    Calvert County
    Budget being what it is, the "temp" bridge will probably stay until another "temp" bridge is needed to replace it.

The Nice bridge is slated for replacement, but there are no dollars for it. I wonder how long before they shut that one down for good? There will be no "temp" for that one. The detour would be massive - up over the beltway. I'd be faster in a Kayak.

Sportstud4891

Resident SMIB
    Jun 7, 2011
    Chuck County
    The Nice bridge is slated for replacement, but there are no dollars for it. I wonder how long before they shut that one down for good? There will be no "temp" for that one. The detour would be massive - up over the beltway. I'd be faster in a Kayak.

I thought part of the problem with the Nice bridge is that they were trying to acquire land beside the current bridge so they wouldn't have to impact traffic and VA didn't want to give any for the build??

Patrick

MSI Executive Member
    Apr 26, 2009
    Calvert County
    I thought part of the problem with the Nice bridge is that they were trying to acquire land beside the current bridge so they wouldn't have to impact traffic and VA didn't want to give any for the build??

They want the Navy to give up part of the NSWC Dahlgren, but that ain't gonna happen. The Navy has several buildings close to the existing roadway and not all of the are pure Navy - other agencies and DoD elements are tenants and I can say for a fact that they are using those spaces heavily. None of those elements will sign up for an encroachment. They do some secure stuff over there, and the Death Ray Machine (aka: Rail Gun) is not far from 301, either.

Virginia has some state park on the other side of the bridge, but they do not want to use that, either. Just like the Wilson bridge, someone is going to get upset. The northern side (state land) looks the most possible, as most of it is undeveloped.

I heard that the Solomon's bridge is first in the budget to be replaced. That makes sense, based on the amount of traffic it carries. But an article suggested that would be at least ten more years, which leaves the Nice Bridge somewhere into the 2020s. Yikes.

guthook

Grrr.
    Apr 7, 2008
    St. Mary's
    The missing bridge was just rebuilt within the past few years. I imagine that left a bad taste in their mouth when it disintegrated. If the temp bridge works long enough for them to design one that won't float away during a measley Cat 1 storm, let them have at it.

There's something to be said about doing it right the first, second, third time.

Tree Rat

Always a good target
    May 20, 2005
    Looks like their rolling with it pretty well. Me thinks this ain't no shovel ready union gig.

TR

Sportstud4891

Resident SMIB
    Jun 7, 2011
    Chuck County
    Yep, went across it last night and this morning. Neat little thing they did by jogging it around the old bridge (or empty space that used to be a bridge) so they'll be able to build the permanent one without closing the road. I was wondering how they did that.

Polecat you want pics of a bridge? Just click the link in post #36 then click on media at the top.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    LikeThatHendrix

Latest threads

Top Bottom