• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Russ D

Ultimate Member
    Nov 10, 2008
    Sykesville
    That article is all well and good, and true. However a well made piston driven AR can go essentially the life of the barrel before requiring cleaning in order to fire reliably. The real difference is the cleanliness of the gun. Anyone who said that difference is not dramatic, does not own both systems.

-Jim

LUBE, DI's require LUBE not extra cleaning.

dev

Ultimate Member
    Apr 4, 2011
    When I see the " The gun that killed Osama" I find it more of a insult to the HK416 especially the circumstances by which he was killed.
    If you were to give me a vial of the poison that killed Rasputin or the sword that killed a famous warrior in history while in battle that would impress me.

EngageSmith

Industry Partner
    May 31, 2011
    Kensington, MD
    Don't knock that idea. When we have to shoot out to 200 or more yards in the "urban prone" (also known as "ghetto prone") position in Tactical Shoots, this just might be the ticket.:D

I realize that, it just made me think of this :D:

tacticoolAR15.jpg

Ron

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Apr 2, 2011
    That is all the crap you you can fit on a AR if you can afford all the crap!

:lol2:

And here I was waiting for Marvin The Martian to pick it up and ask where is the great big earth shattering kaboom......;)

Kingjamez

Gun Builder
    Oct 22, 2009
    Fairfax, VA
    So you are telling me that given the choice, you'd trust your life to a filthy uncleaned but lubed DI AR over a clean and will stay that way piston driven AR?

I don't see the lube flowing any gunk out of the first AR in your links.

-Jim

clandestine

AR-15 Savant
    Oct 13, 2008
    Elkton, MD
    not knocking the DI system here

but lube turns to gunk...and gunk is worse than just fouling...so the more lube you use, the more cleaning you need.

Nott correct. The more lube the less you need to clean.

:thumbsup: As always, Russ is on point.

So you are telling me that given the choice, you'd trust your life to a filthy uncleaned but lubed DI AR over a clean and will stay that way piston driven AR?

Yes, all day every day in any enviorment.

I don't see the lube flowing any gunk out of the first AR in your links.

-Jim

The article may not show it but it does move fouling and debris off reciprocating parts.

Piston AR's are a marketing fad that people have bought hook line and sinker. There is no advantage.

SCARCQB

Get Opp my rawn, Plick!
    Jun 25, 2008
    Undisclosed location
    Piston guns also get dirty.

Attachments

• 3548693999-efaf0fe1d3-b-tm.jpg
      3548693999-efaf0fe1d3-b-tm.jpg
      13.6 KB · Views: 107
    • 3548689487-8449978d0e-b-tm.jpg
      3548689487-8449978d0e-b-tm.jpg
      17 KB · Views: 110
    • 3548680695-2d8feb0d23-b-tm1.jpg
      3548680695-2d8feb0d23-b-tm1.jpg
      14.1 KB · Views: 107

Kingjamez

Gun Builder
    Oct 22, 2009
    Fairfax, VA
    Well, I respect Russ and Chad's opinions, but we'll just have to disagree on this one. I have restarted shooting AR's for fun with the advent of the piston. Before then the AR was a gun I'd only shoot at work because I was paid while cleaning it.

Edit, SCARCQB posted as I was. Those pics show a HK 416 with a silencer (M42000) on it after 2000 rounds and zero lube. It had no malfunctions. Think how bad it would be if DI.

-Jim

clandestine

AR-15 Savant
    Oct 13, 2008
    Elkton, MD
    Well, I respect Russ and Chad's opinions, but we'll just have to disagree on this one. I have restarted shooting AR's for fun with the advent of the piston. Before then the AR was a gun I'd only shoot at work because I was paid while cleaning it.

Edit, SCARCQB posted as I was. Those pics show a HK 416 with a silencer (M42000) on it after 2000 rounds and zero lube. It had no malfunctions. Think how bad it would be if DI.

-Jim

My DI AR has 4500 rounds of 855 through it. No cleaning the system, just the barrel (Wipe Out Bore Foam), just lubing with Syn Motor Oil after a wipedown and relube.

BCM M4 Upper/M4 Ramps
    Spikes NiB M16 BCG with Extractor Insert
    14.5" Mid Gas Noveske 1/7" Afghan Barrel (Pinned Muzzle Device)
    PWS 5.56 YHM Brake (For Q.D. YHM Suppressor Use)
    YHM 12.5: LW FF Rail
    Magpul MBUS2 Sights
    Magpul ACS Stock with Enhanced Pad
    Magpul ASAP and MS2 Sling
    Magpul Front Sling Attachment
    Vltor Receiver Extension
    CS Flat Wire Action Spring
    Spikes ST-2 Buffer
    Magoul MIAD Grip w/Trigger Guard
    Magpul AFG
    DD Offest Mount with Aimpoint Micro
    LaRue LT104 with Nikon 3-12 M223 Scope
    POF Forged Lower
    Magpul PMAGS
    20W50 Syn Motor Oil
    NiB FCG with Chopped Hammer/Trigger Job/JP Springs
    Magpul B.A.D.
    PRI Gas Buster
    YHM 7.62 Suppressor w/Silicone Cover

Gun shoots sub M.O.A. with almost any brass cased ammo I run through it. The only malfunctions it has seen is with the suppresor and crappy ammo with bad crimping, it blows some primers out and can jam up the works.

Scott Gunsmithing is now an S.O.T. so he wants me to build an identical one with Select Fire capibilities, I will run the dog poop put of it.

Russ D

Ultimate Member
    Nov 10, 2008
    Sykesville
    The dirty gun in the link was shot past the point of normal barrel life with no cleaning. Who is ever really going to run a gun that dirty for that long. Honestly if cleaning an Ar is that difficult or unpleasent then I thin maybe you are doing something wrong. I can get a filthy Ar spotless in 10 min.

krashmania

Still dont know anything
    Feb 6, 2011
    churchville
    Besides if you want a good piston gun then get a Scar. It was designed as a piston from the start.

I have no problem with piston ar's, but this has kinda bbeen my opinion the more I think of it. It's like buying an actual race car, versus the civic that some guy dumped 30k into. One has every piece meant for itself, and the other has been fiddled with with hopes that it all works.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Spb5205

Latest threads

Top Bottom