• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • kfrede86

Ultimate Member
    Feb 22, 2010
    St. Marys
    I've been thinking about getting a Mauser K98 for sometime now. What should I look at before i purchase one and what is a decent price for one? I'm new to the C&R world and don't know to much about them. I do have a custom built .270 with a Mauser action and just love how smooth it feels.

Neot

Ultimate Member
    Mar 11, 2009
    South County
    What kind of Mauser are you looking for? A shooter? Collector? You could get a Russian captured K98 for around 325-350 easy enough. They won't be matching numbers now, the Russians tore them apart, reassembled them haphazardly and then just electropenned them together. If you're looking for a collectable, matching numbers Mauser than the sky is the limit.

Neot

Ultimate Member
    Mar 11, 2009
    South County
    Make sure you check the bore on the gun. They shot corrosive ammo through these and sometimes the Russians didn't take the greatest care of them. Also, make sure the headspacing is correct first...many times the bolt was mismatched to another gun. I would recommend checking out a large gun show to see if you can find a deal there. The Harrisburg show is this weekend and has around 800 tables...I'm sure there will be quite a few to handle and inspect.

kfrede86

Ultimate Member
    Feb 22, 2010
    St. Marys
    Thanks for the information. I'll see what it looks like and the next show I go to I'll see what deals I can find.

Scott7891

Love those Combloc guns
    Sep 4, 2007
    Back in MD sadly
    If you want a good K98 the Yugo re-arsenals are a bargain. They are all-matching and are priced below the Russian captures. They can be found for less than $300 and IMO a better deal than the Russian captures and in way better shape. (Yes I mean Yugo captured K98's not the M48 or M24's that are numerous).

KMK1862

Ultimate Member
    Oct 12, 2010
    York County, PA
    $350 doesn't sound bad. I've had good luck at shows. I like my guns to be intact and have no defaced markings, so RC's with the pinged swastikas don't appeal to me. There was a dealer at the York show who had probably 15-20 K98ks, but every one I looked at had the firing proof defaced.

Also worth noting is that an RC won't have the locking screws in the triggerguard, sight hood, cleaning rod, and (depending on model) the sight leaf pin. None of these "missing" parts are needed for correct operation of the rifle, but I like to replace them on my RC's.

K98 Rifles Rock!

Greetings all,

I purchased this 1938 S/237 Mauser on gunbroker for $375.00 in 2008. I think it's a Russian capture but the finish looks great, there is no electro-pencil and the swastikas are intact. The rear light leaf and adjuster match the barrel and receiver. The stock is laminated. The cleaning rod is correct and wa marked, the rear sight pin is present as are the locking screws.. This thing shoots great. I've been shooting 1940 Turkish 8mm ammo. The bore looks great too. I recommend a K98. I'll be adding more to the family.

Attachments

• k1.jpg
      k1.jpg
      124.4 KB · Views: 220

Jimbob2.0

Ultimate Member
    Feb 20, 2008
    Stop talking and start buying,

someone in my family just scored a deal on the below. Its imported but has an actual real WWI Kaiser stamped trench mag. I wont say how awesome a deal he got on the whole thing.

Mauser%20Trench%20Mag.jpg

I am super jealous.

VAshooter

Oct 28, 2009
    If you want a good K98 the Yugo re-arsenals are a bargain. They are all-matching and are priced below the Russian captures. They can be found for less than $300 and IMO a better deal than the Russian captures and in way better shape. (Yes I mean Yugo captured K98's not the M48 or M24's that are numerous).

Do you have a website I could find one of these Yugo re-arsenals at? I would appreciate it as I'm in the market for a Mauser also. SOG has RC Mausers but they are strait bolt, thats why I haven't bitten on one of those yet. Thanks.

Scott7891

Love those Combloc guns
    Sep 4, 2007
    Back in MD sadly
    Do you have a website I could find one of these Yugo re-arsenals at? I would appreciate it as I'm in the market for a Mauser also. SOG has RC Mausers but they are strait bolt, thats why I haven't bitten on one of those yet. Thanks.

Only on the secondary market. I am guessing they came in with the M24's and M48's but were snatched up quickly. I took mine shooting a few days ago and it was great.

Here is one on Gunbroker that is started at $100:
    http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=221154910

enforcer

Mar 24, 2011
    Hampstead
    Just remember to clean the hell out of it after you shoot it. The ammo is corrosive so you should clean it as soon as you can. Lots of Mauser's at gun shows have horrible bores because the owners shot them and then stuck them in the closet to rust.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Scot2024

Latest threads

Top Bottom