• Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Aug 1, 2020
    Apoligies if this has been asked, I seen many posts about moving into Maryland, but none about moving out of Maryland.

I will be doing just that shortly, to a state which does not infringe on our 2A rights. That being said, is there a process that I reach out to the MSP and tell them I am will no longer be at my home address associated with my HQL?

It is enraging enough that the MSP has a controlled firearm (pistols etc) registration. I will obviously be taking my firearms, and would ideally like to be removed from the registration database.

Thank you in advance for your input!

Very Respectfully,
    Whelming

budman93

Ultimate Member
    Mar 1, 2013
    Frederick County
    Apoligies if this has been asked, I seen many posts about moving into Maryland, but none about moving out of Maryland.

I will be doing just that shortly, to a state which does not infringe on our 2A rights. That being said, is there a process that I reach out to the MSP and tell them I am will no longer be at my home address associated with my HQL?

It is enraging enough that the MSP has a controlled firearm (pistols etc) registration. I will obviously be taking my firearms, and would ideally like to be removed from the registration database.

Very Respectfully,
    Whelming

I don't think there is anything you can do. I have been told that even if you sell a gun that is registered to you it remains linked to you in the system.

rbird7282

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 6, 2012
    Columbia
    You don’t need to do anything as far as I know.
    Personally, I wouldn’t tell them a damn thing

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

jmb122mp

Nov 2, 2016
    The HQL has your driver's license # on the back. They "should be" linked. So, when you acquire new ID in your new state MD "should" know about it.

That said, it's probably more likely along the lines of what Budman93 said and MD either doesn't know, doesn't check or doesn't care.

Michigander08

ridiculous and psychotic
    MDS Supporter
    May 29, 2017
    They don't care. You aren't producing any more money for the state of MD.

TheOriginalMexicanBob

Ultimate Member
    Jul 2, 2017
    Sun City West, AZ
    When you get a drivers license in Free America they will likely take your MD license and MD will be notified. As far as MSP and your firearms that have been "voluntarily" registered...they will stay in the system forever.

Michigander08

ridiculous and psychotic
    MDS Supporter
    May 29, 2017
    Don't forget to change your car insurance and register in free state. After that, mail back your car plates (2 of them) to the address of MD's DMV in Glen Burnie. Don't forget to put a note in there telling them that you have moved out of state. If you fail to do that, MD may charge you for having no car insurance crap!

You may get a refund check for your car registration fee depending on how many months you have left on your MD registration.

trickg

Guns 'n Drums
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 22, 2008
    Glen Burnie

Very Respectfully,
    Whelming
    Looking at this from the perspective of a data analyst and database administrator, I seriously doubt if there is anything you can do to remove your records of transfer from the database. It doesn't matter that you no longer live in the state. What matters to them are the records of what transfers occurred for residents living in the state at the time. The fact that you left really doesn't matter because the state no longer has jurisdiction over you anyway.

This is part of what makes laws like this so maddening. You buy handguns in Maryland and they all go through the whole transfer/background check BS, but if you move to a state where private gun sales are regulated, then there's no way to know if you still have the guns - you could have sold every last one. At that point, there's really no way to track down the gun other than to ask if you still have it. If you say "no," then that's the end of it.

Then there's the part about moving to the state and needing to fill out forms for the guns you own. Riiiiight. Like I'm going to voluntarily give any state entity information about my private belongings that are no concern of theirs. The state has no idea who does and doesn't own guns when they move in, so unless you voluntarily comply, there's no way to know if you are a gun owner or not. Or, in the case of people who moved into the state before that ******** law went into effect, they have no way of knowing what you owned prior to coming to the state, and what you purchased after moving to the state provided the guns in question have a manufacture date that predates the law and when you moved into the state.

welder516

Deplorable Welder
    MDS Supporter
    Jun 8, 2013
    Underground Bunker
    Once you are here you are stuck here either in body or by computer , they don't care if you stay or go they already have the data on you . This state is a chit-hole ready to get into a California chit-hole .

Vodnik4

Between two waters
    Jan 8, 2021
    Slower, lower MD
    You know, your guns and ammo have MD cooties on them.
    I’ll take them off your hands cheap, so you can start with fresh, new, un-MD’d guns in a free state.
    This way MDSP won’t track them to you in the new locale.

nedsurf

Ultimate Member
    Feb 8, 2013
    You can always do private trades and sales in the state you are moving to with your MD bought firearms.

trickg

Guns 'n Drums
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 22, 2008
    Glen Burnie
    You can always do private trades and sales in the state you are moving to with your MD bought firearms.
    Yep - once you are living in another state, those guns are now subject to the laws of the state where you are currently residing, and Maryland can go pound sand.

I moved to Tennessee in 2019. There is good advice on this thread. When I got here, I asked a state cop about registering my firearms (not necessary) and concealed carry (easy to obtain permit for for both concealed and open carry) and he gave me good advice on local gun shops and ranges. I thanked him and he said, "You're a Tennessee resident now. We work for you." It made me miss Maryland not at all.

rbird7282

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 6, 2012
    Columbia
    I moved to Tennessee in 2019. There is good advice on this thread. When I got here, I asked a state cop about registering my firearms (not necessary) and concealed carry (easy to obtain permit for for both concealed and open carry) and he gave me good advice on local gun shops and ranges. I thanked him and he said, "You're a Tennessee resident now. We work for you." It made me miss Maryland not at all.

Damn, how refreshing

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    christian04

Latest threads

Top Bottom