• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • offthepaper

Ultimate Member
    Sep 7, 2007
    Harford County
    It is the Savannah , the first nuclear ship used for commerce it was commissioned by Dwight D. Eisenhower as an Atoms for Peace it was to show nuclear could be for peaceful reasons and for commerce . This ship was used for freight as well it transported passengers as well with a swimming pool and a bar/lounge barbershop . Lots of the ship has been restored , it now has modern heat and air conditioning .

Oh man, that sounds like a great opportunity for someone. I love history and wish I had the time to do this. Very special to observe history being preserved.
    If another opportunity arises in the future, please post.

antco

Ultimate Member
    Apr 28, 2010
    Calvert, MD
    PM me if weekend slots are available. I know how to stay awake in the cold while babysitting a weld and F/E. I don’t have a TWIC but I can pass any background checks they want to throw at me.

welder516

Deplorable Welder
    MDS Supporter
    Jun 8, 2013
    Underground Bunker
    You don't need a TWIC card but we have them for any other work at the terminals , they are good i believe for 5 years so they do pay for themselves . This work is inside and temp. controlled . It is a couple hour class to take for the ships info. and then a fire watch class . No test .
    We are sealing very large hatch deck doors around all the hinge areas with 1/8" thick x 4" wide flat bar . I can say some areas are un-touched , a couple months ago we were working in the pilot house the controls and systems were amazing .

Rusting and water damage are the worse for these old ships , water lays everywhere there are waves in the steel and all the low spots where water never dries out .

rseymorejr

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 28, 2011
    Harford County
    It is the Savannah , the first nuclear ship used for commerce it was commissioned by Dwight D. Eisenhower as an Atoms for Peace it was to show nuclear could be for peaceful reasons and for commerce . This ship was used for freight as well it transported passengers as well with a swimming pool and a bar/lounge barbershop . Lots of the ship has been restored , it now has modern heat and air conditioning .

You should have mentioned the bar and pool in the first posting! LOL!

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    I have a couple week job that may need 2 fire-watches and labor work for a couple weeks .

I was putting some feelers out to see if anyone here might think it would fit them .
    Work is on a ship and you will be given a short training from the ship's personnel and the history of the ship .
    You will need to be able to walk a good distance and carry some things and be thoughtful about safety .

I will give you details in private , but it would be great for someone retired .There is Covid screening every day with a heat gun and a questionnaire (daily)
    Man, I wish I was a kid again. Sounds like it could lead to adventure.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    angel45z

Latest threads

Top Bottom