• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • kidcadet1996

Jan 5, 2015
    Waldorf MD
    Any long range guys in this group? I’m looking to buy something to reach out far with, target shooting but also want a bigger caliber just for kicks. Maybe 300 PRC or 338 LM. I just started doing my research, so I’m new to this. I’m looking to keep the cost around $2500 for the gun. The Ruger PR and Savage Elite Precision seem like early standouts? Any thoughts?

erwos

The Hebrew Hammer
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 25, 2009
    Rockville, MD
    Both of those will do quite well for you.

However... make sure you have a place to shoot whatever you choose. IIRC, PNTC was not a fan of letting you shoot 338 LM on their steel. I know it's cliche, but even something like 6.5CM will get you about as far as you can shoot around here.

Speed3

Ultimate Member
    Aug 19, 2011
    MD
    How far is far? 1k, 1,500 or 2k + yards.

1k yards, id go straight. 284 Winchester, 1,500 likely 300 norma mag. 2k +, 375 cheytac or 416 are hard to beat.

The longer distance you wanna shoot, the more expensive the tool gets.

Both the RPR and savage shoot well for factory guns. More preference on the user side than anything.

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    Where do you plan on shooting it? What range?

Kind of stupid to shoot a 338 Lapua at 100 - 200 yards at $3 a trigger pull. :)

I REALLY want a .338 Lapua, but really have little use for it.

WRT budget, don't forget optics. You are talking about $2500 and up for optics for very long range.

I have also considered a .300 Win Mag. You can reach out to 1500 with it, but more reasonable cost per round, and finding places to shoot.

kidcadet1996

Jan 5, 2015
    Waldorf MD
    Both of those will do quite well for you.

However... make sure you have a place to shoot whatever you choose. IIRC, PNTC was not a fan of letting you shoot 338 LM on their steel. I know it's cliche, but even something like 6.5CM will get you about as far as you can shoot around here.

Thanks for the reply I’ve thought about that as well. I’m military and moving back west or down south next summer. Most likely Alaska or Florida, many more options to shoot distance. 6.5 CM is great, but I’m looking to go big. Because, well, why not!

kidcadet1996

Jan 5, 2015
    Waldorf MD
    Where do you plan on shooting it? What range?

Kind of stupid to shoot a 338 Lapua at 100 - 200 yards at $3 a trigger pull. :)

I REALLY want a .338 Lapua, but really have little use for it.

WRT budget, don't forget optics. You are talking about $2500 and up for optics for very long range.

I have also considered a .300 Win Mag. You can reach out to 1500 with it, but more reasonable cost per round, and finding places to shoot.

Yes the optic will come. Just focusing on the platform for now.

davsco

Ultimate Member
    Oct 21, 2010
    Loudoun, VA
    just fyi if you want to do actual prs or similar matches, most limit to 30 cal and something like 3200-3300fps.

if you can live with 6mm, check out the GA Precision production rifle. $2500 to keep it at prs production max $$. think they guarantee 3/8.

if you want to build/assemble something, look at bighorn tl3 action, proof carbon prefit barrel, krg bravo stock/chassis, triggertech trigger, sub $3k. i have this in 6.5prc but haven't live-fired yet.

steves1911

Ultimate Member
    Dec 2, 2011
    On a hill in Wv
    Those two would certainly be up to the task as well as many others. Glass is more important than the rifle. You can have the best rifle in the world but if you have a scope that won't track consistently while dialing your just pissing in the wind. What ranges do you plan on shooting? I have a couple sub $1k rifles that I shoot out to 1kyds that do quite well. One is a savage 110 desert tactical in 300win mag and its the most accurate rifle I've ever owned routinely printing 5 shot groups right around an inch at 300yds when i do my part. If I were just starting out I would look to stay under $1500 on the rifle and put the extra twords the glass.

kidcadet1996

Jan 5, 2015
    Waldorf MD
    I’m looking at 800-1000 yards primarily, may step out further on occasion. I’m not really interested in shooting matches, but that may change in the future. You can never have too many firearms. I’ll look into that GA Precision production rifle as well.

4g64loser

Bad influence
    Jan 18, 2007
    maryland
    I vote for setting up a bighorn tl3, like davsco suggests. If you want to go big, get the long action with both standard and magnum bolt faces. This means that you can have barrels for big cases (300prc, 300wm, etc) and standard cases (284, 30-06, etc). While some prefer chassis you may wish to go with a stock. Your call.

Semper Noctem

Desk Rabbit
    Aug 9, 2011
    Fairfax, VA
    For 800-1000 yards why not just stick with a 308? Soft shooting, cheaper than everything you've mentioned per pull, and easier to source. I don't know, just seems kinda silly shooting more than that at those ranges. Like taking a howitzer for cqb, unless that's your thing. Just my $0.02.

erwos

The Hebrew Hammer
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 25, 2009
    Rockville, MD
    For 800-1000 yards why not just stick with a 308? Soft shooting, cheaper than everything you've mentioned per pull, and easier to source. I don't know, just seems kinda silly shooting more than that at those ranges. Like taking a howitzer for cqb, unless that's your thing. Just my $0.02.
    6.5 CM would be marginally better in my experience, but cost may outweigh that. But I agree that 338 LM for shooting to 800-1000 is just a total waste. Even 300 PRC is spending a bunch more money for not really much performance difference at those ranges.

Sundazes

Throbbing Member
    MDS Supporter
    Nov 13, 2006
    Arkham

I am getting a RPR in 308 for those exact reasons. I wanted a 65CM, but I don't have any ammo or want to spend $3 a round.
    I got plenty of 308....

ToolAA

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jun 17, 2016
    God's Country
    You may want to check out this video and research some before buying a Savage. Savage is one that I had considered, but not sure now.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XA4wkCYriqI

I have a 110BA stealth the predecessor to the Elite. I’ve probably have about 700 rounds through it without issue. There is more slop in the bolt than a precision helix cut design but it has not been a problem. I’ve never had a failure to extract either. My only complaint is that sometimes the mag isnt seated all the way, but that’s probably just me not slapping it in there all of the way. I’ve proven it to shoot better than .3 MOA at 500-600 yds and .5 at 1200. I’m very happy with it.

DaemonAssassin

Why should we Free BSD?
    Jun 14, 2012
    Political refugee in WV
    I am getting a RPR in 308 for those exact reasons. I wanted a 65CM, but I don't have any ammo or want to spend $3 a round.

I got plenty of 308....
    If you want to try a RPR 308 before you buy one, let me know. I still need to zero it with FGMM 168gr that I have, but after it's zeroed, it's all yours to play with.

KRC

Sep 30, 2018
    Cecil County MD
    All good advice here. I would add for your consideration . . .
    1) Considering just the rifle itself, the barrel is by far the most critical component for precision.
    2) A custom build will allow you to select a superior SS lapped BR barrel (i.e. Kreiger, Bartlien, Rock Creek, Brux etc.), as well as other high quality components. (Although you can rebarrel a purchased system, but why pay twice for a component?)
    3) Next to the barrel, handloading and tuning your loads to your rifle will be most critical. If you don't reload now, consider investing and learning.
    4) You might want to consider barrel life in your chambering - some of the choices mentioned are serious barrel-burners.
    5) Look up competition results to see what equipment and chamberings are winning at sanctioned matches of the type and distance you are interested in.
    6) A used rifle may present a good value.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Spb5205

Latest threads

Top Bottom