Go Back   Maryland Shooters > Maryland Regional Discussions > Capital Region
Don't Have An Account? Register Here

Join MD Shooters

Old October 27th, 2020, 11:50 PM #1

Any dirt bikers here?

I am considering getting into the sport, more so to go on trails as opposed to racing/stunts/anything like that.

Is it possible to do while living in MoCo? Are there trails around here and a good community?

I have zero experience on a dirt bike or motorcycle but have always been interested.
sixspeedshift is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 28th, 2020, 07:56 AM #2
Hooligan #10

Hooligan #10

Best advice if you want to get into the sport in this day and age is to buy/build a dual sport. There are plenty of events for these types of bikes that allow some trail riding, some street and they are competitive if that's your thing, or can just be plain fun. The availability for trails to just tool around have been dwindled to almost nothing these days unless you own land. There are some trails out in Western MD, but not many around here that I know of anymore unless you want to pay for track time.
Trek4Ward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 28th, 2020, 08:04 AM #3

It is fun.
D. A. M.N. Riders is a great group. They are a group of dual sport adventure riders in MD
http://www.damnriders.org/

"THOSE WHO WOULD SACRIFICE FREEDOM FOR SECURITY DESERVE NEITHER"
boothdoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 28th, 2020, 12:09 PM #4
For great Justice

For great Justice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trek4Ward View Post
Best advice if you want to get into the sport in this day and age is to buy/build a dual sport. There are plenty of events for these types of bikes that allow some trail riding, some street and they are competitive if that's your thing, or can just be plain fun. The availability for trails to just tool around have been dwindled to almost nothing these days unless you own land. There are some trails out in Western MD, but not many around here that I know of anymore unless you want to pay for track time.
This, for actual off-road trails, unless you know someone with land, probably have to trailer bikes for a couple hours. We go to the AOAA in central PA a couple times a year, lots of trails, lots of fun, but far. Of course anyone with 0 experience TAKE A RIDER COURSE FIRST!!!!! they are usually free or cheap, can include your MC license, and can not only save you money on insurance, but can save your life.

With a dualsport, you can ride ride offroad, but can also ride on crappy rutted up dirt roads, in some parks and trail systems not open to non DOT vehicles, and of course public roads.

I own both, my CRF250L wears supermoto wheels 99% of the time, and it's fun around town and for short trips on the highway, so I can ride it as often as I want. It's light and nimble by streetbike standards, maintence intervals are measured by thousands of miles not just a few hours, it's lower and easier to ride on mild trails, and with a few mods can keep up with enduros offroad, and small sport bikes onroad. If I want to explore dirt roads, or take it to trails, I can swap wheels in 30min and have a set of barely DOT legal knobbies, which suck on pavement. Have Yamaha TTRs for the wife and kids, off-road only, so they sit for months till we get a chance to ride around friends/family property, or trailer all of them up to the AOAA. Only downside of a DS is they tend to be heavy, have more road oriented suspension, and lack the power of offroad bikes. Have had offroad 2 and 4 stroke bikes in the past, they are faster, a bit more durable if dropped, definitely lighter and easier to ride through tough stuff, but even so, they are somewhat specialized. My YZ125 was a 2 stroke MX bike, and was tough to "ride slow", tons of power and really light, but was a handful riding in a group with slow riders, and as tall as it was, actually a little tough to go up or down steeper hills. Had enduros, and 4 stroke TTR play bikes(still own a little wheel 125), much easier to ride, much more forgiving, easier on maintenance, but you give up a lot on fast trails, and miss having a plate to ride onroad and to and from trails. Even DS bikes have a range, large heavy "adventure" bikes can't handle much offroad, midsize/price DS like my CRF250L, WRs, and the DRZ400, and at the top are KTM and Husky DS that are essentially full blown enduro bikes made factory street legal with mirrors and turn signals as an afterthought.

With a wheel / gearing swap, I can ride anything from twisty backroads to cruising at 80+ on the interstate, or ride enduro trails and mud.

Same bike,
Attached Images

"Unfortunately, freedom allows sh*theads to get away with stuff. You always know the mark of a coward. A coward hides behind freedom. A brave person stands in front of freedom and defends it for others."
-Henry Rollins
alucard0822 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 28th, 2020, 12:12 PM #5

Mountain Ridge ATV park in Central City, PA
SummitCnty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 28th, 2020, 12:21 PM #6
21st Century Hoplite

21st Century Hoplite

Mountain biking you can do on local dirt trails and it’s good cardiovascularly. You be the engine. All the cool kids ride mt bikes.
Bikebreath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 28th, 2020, 02:25 PM #7
For great Justice

For great Justice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bikebreath View Post
Mountain biking you can do on local dirt trails and it’s good cardiovascularly. You be the engine. All the cool kids ride mt bikes.

They are fun too, don't have to drive as far, and easier to haul, but kinda nice having a bike with an engine, and not having to pedal.
Name:  20200608_104007.jpg
Views: 804
Size:  137.5 KB
"Unfortunately, freedom allows sh*theads to get away with stuff. You always know the mark of a coward. A coward hides behind freedom. A brave person stands in front of freedom and defends it for others."
-Henry Rollins
alucard0822 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 28th, 2020, 04:08 PM #8

Simple to get involved in the "dirt bike culture"
Steal a dirt bike,, head to Wash DC, evade the cops and ride on the sidewalks.
Slackdaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 28th, 2020, 08:14 PM #9
21st Century Hoplite

21st Century Hoplite

Quote:
Originally Posted by alucard0822 View Post
They are fun too, don't have to drive as far, and easier to haul, but kinda nice having a bike with an engine, and not having to pedal.
Attachment 297530
I was obsessed with mt. biking before I became obsessed with guns.
Bikebreath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 28th, 2020, 09:18 PM #10

anywhere nearish that I could rent a bike and/or take an absolute beginner class?
sixspeedshift is offline   Reply With Quote

Home Page > Forum List > Maryland Regional Discussions > Capital Region