• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    Have you pulled the barrel and given the chamber a GOOD look with lots of light?

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    I googled 1911 Precision LLC , and I'm seeing both Martinsberg WV and Nottingham Md , which is John C's current location ?

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    My curiosity up , I looked into the sourcing of SA 1911's . ( I'm ok with the quality of their guns , and don't consider IMBEL to be a bad thing .)

As best I can determine , the actual hand built Custom Shop guns are totally USA sourced , but the production pistols are Imbel forgings . S.A. likes to advertise Made in USA , based upon the amount of machining , fitting , and finishing done in Illinois . Kind of dancing around the 49% vs 51% of " build" . Imbel is a legit ISO defense contractor, who formerly made licensed 1911's for Brazil millitary , nothing to be ashamed of .

TheOriginalMexicanBob

Ultimate Member
    Jul 2, 2017
    Sun City West, AZ
    Imbel makes...or at least made...high quality firearms or raw forgings for others to finish. I have a Springfield Armory SAR-48 I bought new back in the '80s. I've read opinions where the Imbel license built clone of the FN-FAL was better than the Belgian made versions.

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    Big Shoutout to John from Md !

John was nice enough to offer to take a look for me .

At first everything seemed to be in spec , albeit " mass production " fitting of barell hood , and short leade .

Primary issue #1 - While the extractor tension was 1.5lb , there was a rough edge . John give it a quick polish and radius .

Issue #2 - The Fiocchi 200gr jhp ( that I have a big stack of ) , the bullet ogive doesn't play well with my leade .

Issue #3 - While everything individually in spec , the tolerence stack will sometimes make it sensitive to the exact feed presentation from the magizine . The Good News is my recently arrived Checkmate Hybred mags are just right !

As soon as made home , tested both Underwood loads from Checkmate mags .

Mostly Good News - I am now good to go with 2 feed everything mags, plus a good hardball mag .

Disapointing - I now have a stack of defensive loads that have to be dedicated to P-90 , leaving in search of stackable defense loads suitable for both pistols .

Still left on medium priority - See if Tripp followers and springs can redeem the CMC and S&W mags .

Longer range - Eventually fit a new barell .

My Toy

Ultimate Member
    Jul 31, 2008
    Westminster
    Don't know if this was your problem but an interesting thing happened to me about 2 weeks ago. I took out an old Colt 1911 that I hadn't fired in 20 years. At first accuracy and function were exactly as I remembered. After about 25 rds of hardball accuracy started to go and slide would not lock back after last rd. Next I noticed slide was hard to move. When I got home and disassembled I found that a synthetic recoil buffer I had installed 20 years ago had disintegrated (dry rot I guess) and the action of the pistol began distributing oily crumbled recoil buffer material around the barrel and slide. Cleaned it up-- took it out the next week -- it ran like a top.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Sarca

Latest threads

Top Bottom