Go Back   Maryland Shooters > Topics of Interest > Competitive Shooting
Don't Have An Account? Register Here

Join MD Shooters

Old February 2nd, 2020, 03:24 PM #21
Smile!

Smile!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ammo Jon View Post
Practice makes perfect. Be careful with Glocks they have a tendency to multiply....I started off with 1.
I, like you, started with one. Hoping they multiple at a faster rate than current. Ive got 2 in my sights for sure.
ducky996 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 2nd, 2020, 03:27 PM #22
Smile!

Smile!

Quote:
Originally Posted by knovotny View Post
Hey! Like others have said, Steel Challenge is a great way to get your feet wet in competition. It's competitive, but it's fun to compete against yourself too. You generally do 5 strings at each stage, so you can try to improve each string. Once you get to know people, there is generally good natured trash talking, excuse making, alibis, and congratulating. It is absolutely free to show up and watch. Just bring eyes and ears. The steel challenge matches at AGC are not yet affiliated, so they do some extra fun stuff too.

AGC also has 3 gun (rifle, pistol, shotgun) that can also be done as 2 gun (rifle, pistol). For rifle, AR's are the standard platform there's a lot more movement in 3 gun than steel challenge. And there's generally someone willing to lend a shotgun if you are new and are trying to figure out what to buy.

York Isaac Walton League does a lot of 3 gun as well, and I'm sure there are others around. 3 gun is equipment intensive. Steel Challenge is easier to get started. You can even shoot from the low ready position instead of drawing from a holster if you'd like.

There's usually a couple other ladies at events as well. I won't be there tomorrow for steel, but my hubby will. He will be RO'ing a squad and has a really great squad of people who would love to show off their equipment and tell you all about it. Really anyone is generally happy to show off their stuff! And being a woman, so therefore a unicorn, they are even happier to.
Sounds like fun! Id love to connect with you at a match sometime simply to say hello, talk, watch, and learn.
Old February 2nd, 2020, 03:32 PM #23
Smile!

Smile!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Occam View Post
Definitely do NOT need to be a member to come watch. Everyone is very friendly and always ready to addict new people.

Requirements arenít so bad! Ear protection, wrap-around eye protection. A pistol (9mm is most common, rimfire is also a thing). Donít even need a holster/rig - you can shoot from low ready, and just bag the gun between stages. Helps to have several magazines if you got Ďem. If you participate, just tell the range officer youíre one of the noobs, and you will be very well and safely taken care of, walked through everything.
Ive got severals mags for all i have. Kicken wing made sure of that! Have a question: you mentioned wrap around eye protection. I wear prescription glasses and was under the impression that would be fine? Or do i need something special. I know someone posted about riding his bike with antifog prescription glasses, perhaps used them for shooting. Cant remember the entire post. Is this something i should invest in if regular glasses wont do?
Old February 2nd, 2020, 03:44 PM #24
Smile!

Smile!

Quote:
Originally Posted by davsco View Post
from washington county, these are prob your two closest clubs that are doing steel challenge. these are below hagerstown and above winchester and about 10 minutes apart. after you have some sc under your belt, both also do "run around and shoot falling steel" matches, which are super fun. peacemaker calls it supersteel and shadowhawk calls it outlaw steel.

https://practiscore.com/clubs/peacem...raining-center

https://practiscore.com/clubs/shadow-hawk-defense
Ive heard of Peacemaker. A girl i sewed for used to go there and told me how awesome it. Havent been as of yet. I saw the video on this thread that shows something that i dont know what it is called but there is what i would call a "flower" with 5 targets. Id have to practice that one cause Ive never had an opportunity to shoot moving targets. Well i have shot trap twice while i worked at the NRA and lets just say that didnt go so well. Need. More. Practice.
Old February 2nd, 2020, 07:06 PM #25

flower, that's funny! look up 'texas star.' once you've shot it a couple of times it isn't that hard and is actually a lot of fun. and for an even better challenge, look up 'polish plate rack' or 'propeller plate rack.'
davsco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 2nd, 2020, 07:49 PM #26
Smile!

Smile!

Quote:
Originally Posted by davsco View Post
flower, that's funny! look up 'texas star.' once you've shot it a couple of times it isn't that hard and is actually a lot of fun. and for an even better challenge, look up 'polish plate rack' or 'propeller plate rack.'
Haha! I told you I didnt know what it was called! I cant imagine a bunch of dudes calling it a flower now that i think about it. Texas star sounds much more appropriate. I'd be up for the challenge of trying it out. But it will have to wait til I get my feet wet.

Will google what you mentioned because im curious now. Thank you for the reference!
Old February 2nd, 2020, 07:51 PM #27
Recovering Lurker

Recovering Lurker

Quote:
Originally Posted by ducky996 View Post
Have a question: you mentioned wrap around eye protection. I wear prescription glasses and was under the impression that would be fine?
In a perfect, budget-doesnít-matter world, I suppose that some dedicated prescription shooting glasses would be ideal. But in the meantime, and for practically pocket change, you can get some slide-on side protectors to protect you from lateral splatter. Below is a shot of some Mrs Occam keeps in her range bag for just such occasions. I think she got six sets of them on Amazon for just a few dollars. I keep some in my bag for needy range guests.

Also pictured here: my knuckle from just yesterday at the AGC shoot. A piece of copper jacket came frisbee-ing in to bay seven from, Iím guessing bay six. Up and over the berm with enough speed to cause a bloody nick. No big deal! But it would have been, if it had slipped in behind glasses from the side and cut up a cornea. So, itís worth the dorky add-on!
Attached Images

Occam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 2nd, 2020, 08:16 PM #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by ducky996 View Post
You are right Occam, the membership does seems complex. Do you know if you have to be a member in order to attend and watch? I wont be able to make it tomorrow as i am working but will keep an eye on the schedule for another steel challange.

That video you posted is awesome! Looks fun but it looks like a lot of requirements. Aint scared though. I would, however, be nervous. Ha!

You donít need to be an AGC member to watch OR shoot in the 3 gun or Steel Challenge matches. Only difference is that itís $20 for non members and $10 for members.
I would suggest that you just sign up and shoot a match. Maybe a little nervous in the beginning but everyone is very friendly and welcoming. Just let them know itís your first time shooting there.
Itís TONS of fun!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old February 2nd, 2020, 11:24 PM #29
Eqinsu Ocha

Eqinsu Ocha

One of these days, I will remember to start filming from the very beginning...as the shooter (hopefully Katie ) gets to the box and is instructed to "Load and make ready..." all the way to the very very end, "Unload and show clear." Based on questions from new shooters, it would be useful to show them exactly what to expect out of the whole process. I do have this one, that shows all five strings and should answer a few questions (like when do you reload? what if you miss? (answer: keep shooting), etc.

"Dear autocorrect: I'm really getting tired of your shirt!"
The problem with people on the internet...is that they are people.
"People are monsters" --Chicadee
Art3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 2nd, 2020, 11:29 PM #30
Eqinsu Ocha

Eqinsu Ocha

Quote:
Originally Posted by Occam View Post
In a perfect, budget-doesnít-matter world, I suppose that some dedicated prescription shooting glasses would be ideal. But in the meantime, and for practically pocket change, you can get some slide-on side protectors to protect you from lateral splatter. Below is a shot of some Mrs Occam keeps in her range bag for just such occasions. I think she got six sets of them on Amazon for just a few dollars. I keep some in my bag for needy range guests.

Also pictured here: my knuckle from just yesterday at the AGC shoot. A piece of copper jacket came frisbee-ing in to bay seven from, Iím guessing bay six. Up and over the berm with enough speed to cause a bloody nick. No big deal! But it would have been, if it had slipped in behind glasses from the side and cut up a cornea. So, itís worth the dorky add-on!

Yikes! We definitely felt some debris falling on us periodically, but nothing like that!

Dorky glasses are obviously a must. I also recommend a hat and ear muff protectors (rather than plugs), just to keep as much of our sensitive bits shielded as possible.

Nowadays, they also make slightly less dorky looking safety glasses that fit completely over prescription glasses. I bet one would get made fun of a lot more overall for spending the rest of their life with an eyepatch than a couple hours in dorky PPE

"Dear autocorrect: I'm really getting tired of your shirt!"
The problem with people on the internet...is that they are people.
"People are monsters" --Chicadee
Art3 is offline   Reply With Quote

Home Page > Forum List > Topics of Interest > Competitive Shooting