• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • ken792

Ultimate Member
    Sep 2, 2011
    Fairfax, VA
    So I got this Romak 991. JB at NOVA Firearms was going to Dremel out the mag well to take double stack mags, but never got around to it, so he let me take it off his hands at a very generous price. JB is such a nice guy that he let me pay for it and held on to it while I became a VA resident and waited for my driver's license to turn 30 days old before I could pick it up.

The Romak 991 is a single stack AK, that only takes their proprietary mags. This is an early one dated 1999, so it has a single stack trunnion. As I understand it, the early WASR's also had single stack trunnions, which Century simply milled out. The obvious problem is that it grinds away the insides of two trunnion rivets, but the rifle still works fine. Later on, they switched to double stack trunnions, so it was a lot easier to convert those rifles.

The bolt lug is slightly thinner than a regular AK bolt, to be able to fit through the single stack mag, but the sides aren't beveled like on some other single stack AK's like the Zastava PAP, so it will still work with double stack mags.

My goal is to have an evil AK for under $100 total. A coworker gave me some takeoff furniture from a Century RAS-47, so I just need a US trigger group for 922r compliance. I'll keep posting as it progresses.

Here's what it looked like originally with the ugly stock.
    IMG_20150814_1912582_zpsn8gztivp.jpg

Here, I have cut the mag well out. I left it a hair on the small side so that I can carefully fit it larger later. I got started on the trunnion, but the aluminum oxide stone isn't doing too great on it, so I need to find my carbide cutter. After the trunnion, I just need to cut back those mag supports you see in the center.
    IMG_20150921_204723_zpss3betm7z.jpg

Last edited:

ken792

Ultimate Member
    Sep 2, 2011
    Fairfax, VA
    It took me probably four hours total to grind out the trunnion and mag well. I ended up using an aluminum oxide attachment. At first, I did not relieve the trunnion enough, so the mag was not sitting high enough or far enough forward. The single stack bolt was overriding rounds from the left side of the mag. I ground out a bit more from the trunnion and got the mag sitting high enough. However, I had ground too much off of the mag catch, so I'm waiting on a new one to arrive.
    IMG_20150928_194535_zpsi1sjtdfz.jpg

Here's what the evil AK looks like. It's a very plain and basic AK, but I get to tell people how I have $50 AK that I rescued from AWB era political correctness. It also has zero mag wobble. Total cost after the parts that I had to buy is just under $100, which will be brought down as I sell off some of the stuff it came with. Also, I've gotten really good at installing AK trigger groups, including the shepherd's crook.
    IMG_20150926_184817_zpssbnpwnw4.jpg

ken792

Ultimate Member
    Sep 2, 2011
    Fairfax, VA
    Update

Today I threaded the muzzle to 1/2x28 and installed an A2 flash hider. The front sight block is set further back than on a standard AKM, so I needed to use two crush washers. With the black Arsenal furniture, I think this AK is complete. Total cost was $94.79.

IMG_20160520_192937_zpsonunrez2.jpg

IMG_20160102_161307_zpsronuafxx.jpg

mopar92

Official MDS Court Jester
    May 5, 2011
    Taneytown
    Update

Today I threaded the muzzle to 1/2x28 and installed an A2 flash hider. The front sight block is set further back than on a standard AKM, so I needed to use two crush washers. With the black Arsenal furniture, I think this AK is complete. Total cost was $94.79.

IMG_20160520_192937_zpsonunrez2.jpg

IMG_20160102_161307_zpsronuafxx.jpg
    If thats a 7.62×39 gun I would be very cautious before firing it as the A2 flash hider is designed for .223 diameter projectiles not the .30 caliber the AK fires.

ken792

Ultimate Member
    Sep 2, 2011
    Fairfax, VA
    It's greater than .30 cal by a good bit (seems like all of the A2 flash hiders I've bothered to check are). I measured it before putting it on and then checked to make sure it's concentric after installation. I dropped a .30 cal erosion gauge in the muzzle and could see a good sized gap all around.

HordesOfKailas

Still learning
    Feb 7, 2016
    Utah
    What mopar said... As far as I know, 1/2 x 28 threads are 22 cal exclusively. A lot of muzzle devices are on the big side, but still...

EDIT: If you checked then I guess you're fine. Still, seems sketchy.

ken792

Ultimate Member
    Sep 2, 2011
    Fairfax, VA
    What mopar said... As far as I know, 1/2 x 28 threads are 22 cal exclusively. A lot of muzzle devices are on the big side, but still...

EDIT: If you checked then I guess you're fine. Still, seems sketchy.

The YHM Phantom on my AR is definitely a .22 cal sized hole, but my A4gery from PSA has the same large hole on it's flash hider as on this one. I guess they do that so you have enough space to scrape the carbon off the crown with the threaded portion of a steel cleaning rod (friends said they were forced to do that in the military).

HordesOfKailas

Still learning
    Feb 7, 2016
    Utah
    The YHM Phantom on my AR is definitely a .22 cal sized hole, but my A4gery from PSA has the same large hole on it's flash hider as on this one. I guess they do that so you have enough space to scrape the carbon off the crown with the threaded portion of a steel cleaning rod (friends said they were forced to do that in the military).

Makes sense. Just set off the NONONO bells in my head haha.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    SrAIC

Latest threads

Top Bottom