Any gun-like rules apply to archery equipment?

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • aray

Ultimate Member
    Jun 6, 2010
    MD -> KY
    So I now have my crossbow, and on Wednesday I joined the Berwyn Rod & Gun Club which means I have a place to shoot it. I want it both for fun and eventually to go turkey hunting once I practice my skills and get my hunting license.

But here's my question: Are there any gun-like rules, regulations, or laws that apply to archery equipment in general or crossbows in particular? For example I have been unable to find any reference to things that do apply to firearms such as:

* You must have one of an enumerated list of reasons to transport it in your vehicle
    * It must be stored in a particular fashion while inside the vehicle
    * You cannot stop, make side-trips, or even leave it unattended locked inside the vehicle while you exit to get food, go shopping, or whatever.
    * Etc.

I don't think any of these sorts of rules/regs/laws apply to archery equipment, but as with all things in Maryland I want to make double dog sure, so I'm asking the questions of those more experienced than I am.

And yes of course, I intend to apply plenty of common sense. I know it is an inherently dangerous item; I know it is an expensive item; I know it is a theft target and not to leave it in plain sight where it would provide an excuse to break into the vehicle; I know I shouldn't leave it in there unattended for an excessive period of time for a variety of good reasons; I know that regardless of everything else to transport the crossbow unloaded and uncocked; etc.

I'm not asking about any of that. I just want to know if I'll get in legal hot water if I exercise a bit more freedom than I ever could do if this were a firearm. For example I'm so paranoid about the intentionally vague Maryland laws on firearm transportation that I don't even stop for potty breaks on my way home from the range, drive-throughs for food are a grey area, and I'd never in my wildest dreams stop at a sit-down restaurant with a gun in the car - even if it was unloaded, even if it was in a locked case, even if it was in a locked and alarmed car, even if it was out of sight and not visible to prying eyes, even if it was inaccessible to the driver or any passengers, etc. But can I make "reasonable" stops with my crossbow? If I apply common sense can I carry it pretty much anywhere and everywhere? I think so. But have I overlooked any land mines? What say ye?

Thanks.

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    Leaving aside for the moment any hunting specific rules , in general :

No transport rules requiring specific destinations. Don't get stupid and aim it at people or threaten them , etc

County and local ordances may well adress where you can shoot archery equipment. Check before doing backyard practice.

Inigoes

Head'n for the hills
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 21, 2008
    SoMD / West PA
    The crossbow can be cocked, but not loaded when transporting.

Must be cased if you are within Leonardtown, Rockville, or Baltimore.

The 4 firearm safety rules apply :)

aray

Ultimate Member
    Jun 6, 2010
    MD -> KY
    As for shooting; it will either be at the range or in my backyard or another friend of mine & I already know the AACO rules on that. Hunting will follow but that's a separate discussion.

And as for the 4 firearm safety rules and other threatening displays around people - no worries there.

Thanks for confirming my suspicions on this point, and for the extra insight about specific locations!

Inigoes

Head'n for the hills
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 21, 2008
    SoMD / West PA
    Learn about "degloving"

As a hunter education instructor, I have heard some doosies! The worst: a fellow picked up a cocked crossbow by the rail. There was some kind of malfunction, releasing the bow string. Needless to say, the meat on his fingers were stripped away instantly.

Beware of Dog
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 16, 2013
    AA Co
    I have traveled about the state with a compound bow in the backseat many hundreds of times, been stopped along the way once or twice as well, never had an issue.
    I shoot a lot of competitions all over the state with a freestyle compound and I normally don't break it down and case it. It takes up the whole backseat in my old SUV's and have never had an issue with it being there.

That said, I would not transport a crossbow when cocked. It is just asking for a dry fire and I know from personal experience, that is really bad with a crossbow.. any bow.. LOL

aray

Ultimate Member
    Jun 6, 2010
    MD -> KY
    Learn about "degloving"

Made me look: I googled degloving images. Ewww! :puke:

No, even without this I knew to keep everything out of the triangle of the string and limbs. I also added an anti-dry fire mechanism to my crossbow (Excalibur Axiom SMF). I'm very safe by nature in my procedures.

Inigoes - you said you're a hunter education instructor; I have a question for you. I'm going through the online hunter course right now and plan to sign up for the field class as soon as I can. But here's where I'm confused: there seems to be generic classes and also hunter classes specific to archery. What are the pros & cons of taking either one?

And yeah Sticky I know not to leave it cocked. Besides the safety issues discussed, I just don't want the ongoing stress to the limbs and string. Excalibur's web site says you can leave them cocked all the time, but this is a multi-hundred dollar investment; why would I keep that tension on the device when not needed regardless?

Inigoes

Head'n for the hills
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 21, 2008
    SoMD / West PA
    The Hunter education classes (traditional or internet) are what is needed to get your DNR ID and/or hunting license. You will touch on a little of everything (modern firearm/black powder/bow/treestand), safety is the most critical.

The Bowhunter class is more about the technical aspects of the "primitive" equipment. The bowhunter course is not needed to hunt in Maryland. People who hunt managed areas or go on managed hunts (say in Canada or out west) seek the certification. If you shoot the qualification course with a veritical bow, you will get a card. If you qualify with a crossbow, the card is X'd, meaning you can only use a crossbow.

Roneut

Oct 10, 2010
    Virtually no laws at all at the state level except for hunting regs. There are some at county level like MontCo where you cannot shoot near roads or buildings without permission, but nothing about transport. I can provide more detail with cites if necessary.

I shoot trad archery and have not only drive with my gear all over the state, but once time my archery group decided to get barbeque after a shoot and we took our bows (not arrows) into the restaurant! They didn't bat an eye and neither did the county cop having lunch. Granted they were all in bow socks and we told them we were afraid of damage from the summer sun.

aray

Ultimate Member
    Jun 6, 2010
    MD -> KY
    Inigoes if I understood what you said correctly, it sounds like I just want the generic hunter education field day class. That seems to give me the ability to hunt with anything right (modern firearm/black powerder/bow ... as long as I have the proper equipment for the right season)? But if I take the bowhunter class am I restricted to vertical bows or crossbows only? If that's all true, why would anyone take the bowhunter class, other than perhaps the managed hunts/areas you mentioned? It seems like I'd be limiting my future options...

Inigoes

Head'n for the hills
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 21, 2008
    SoMD / West PA
    Inigoes if I understood what you said correctly, it sounds like I just want the generic hunter education field day class. That seems to give me the ability to hunt with anything right (modern firearm/black powerder/bow ... as long as I have the proper equipment for the right season)? But if I take the bowhunter class am I restricted to vertical bows or crossbows only? If that's all true, why would anyone take the bowhunter class, other than perhaps the managed hunts/areas you mentioned? It seems like I'd be limiting my future options...

Yep, You only need the hunter education class to hunt (modern/BP/Bow) in Maryland.

The bow hunter class is a specialty course for the people to get into more technical aspects of bow hunting. A good example is the time to wait after shooting a deer: With a firearm 30-45 minutes, bow (best shot placement) 2-3 hours.

There is also a Muzzle loading specialty course.

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    The generic class will give you the legal authorization for hunting with any equipment. Tbe specialized classes will give you more specifc knowledge in the particular specialized method.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Easydoesit

Latest threads

Top Bottom