• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Laddertowr

trigger puller
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 3, 2013
    I have a 1941 6.5x52 Carcano and when the last shell is fired it wants to send the magazine back up through the top and not drop out the bottom …. any ideas ?

CasualObserver

Who Observes the Observer
    Apr 27, 2012
    Maryland Born Now in Vermont
    hmmm.... I've shot one or two that some friends have and the clips don't always fall free. They don't drop until you pop a fresh one in and it then pops out the bottom. I figured it was caused by reusing them over and over (which I figured they probably weren't originally designed to do). Trying to remember how it worked.... isn't there a clip latch you can depress to have the clip pop back out the top with the bolt open? Could that be sticking? Could the clips just be bent out of shape (do you have several to try)?

j8064

Garrett Co Hooligan #1
    Feb 23, 2008
    Deep Creek
    Unlike Garands (whose clips exit from the top) the enbloc clips on Carcano's (like Steyr M95's) were designed so the clip exits the bottom port when empty. If the clip does not fall free, the next clip will push the empty clip out.

The follower on a Carcano action should not bind on the clip and allow the clip to fall free when empty. Based on what the OP describes it sounds like the clip is bent or out of alignment and contacting the follower. If so, spring tension of the follower could cause the clip to be thrust upward.

Alphabrew

Binary male Lesbian
    Jan 27, 2013
    Woodbine

Attachments

• image.jpg
      image.jpg
      24.9 KB · Views: 281

jkeiler

Mar 25, 2013
    Bowie
    The enbloc clips in the Carcanos are a major issue (among many) with these rifles. Enbloc clips preceded the Mauser style magazines and the Mauser owes a lot of its early popularity to this fact. The Garand clip is unusual among this loading system in that it is actually reliable and works well. My Carcano clips sometimes fall out, sometimes have to be pushed out, and sometimes ride up. It could be a damaged clip as stated, or the clip latch. The latch locks the clip in place on loading, and should release when the magazine empties, but they are not robust or particularly well designed. I replaced the clip latch in one of my Carcanos (not for this problem particularly) but it helped the function overall (though not by much.) I'd get new clips, then consider replacing the latch. But the fact is, it might never work smoothly.

G O B

Ultimate Member
    Nov 17, 2007
    Cen TX
    Give thanks that you can get clips, I have a '38 Carcano in 7.92 and thoes clips are vaporware!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Claude

Latest threads

Top Bottom