• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • kfrede86

Ultimate Member
    Feb 22, 2010
    St. Marys
    Having a hell of a time getting this A2 birdcage off my barrel. It's a 16" SS BCM barrel so it shouldn't be pinned. I don't have a barrel block but tried a vice with wood blocks and decided I didn't wanna F my upper up. Anyone know of a smith or someone who has the right tools who could take a look at it? Thanks

BradMacc82

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Aug 17, 2011
    Thanks! Let me know what works best for you; I have a flexible schedule and am in no real hurry. I work in Prince Frederick so am in your neck of the woods often.
    :beer:

:thumbsup:

This weekend may be able to work, I'll PM later this week when I have a better idea of what the weekend is looking like.

kfrede86

Ultimate Member
    Feb 22, 2010
    St. Marys
    Got bored after work and had one more go at it. Made a makeshift vise block out of two scrap pieces of wood, used a piece of hose to wrap around the barrel and secure it tightly in the vise, and.....drum roll........F'n thing is tighter than a tick on a dog's ass! This upper is staring at me laughing right now. I'm thinking BCM used loctite to secure the FH on the barrel. It was spinning with all that on there. Maybe the wood was too soft and didn't grip like an aluminum vise block would have.

iH8DemLibz

When All Else Fails.
    Apr 1, 2013
    Libtardistan
    I'll assume you're using the righty tighty lefty loosy process.

Try warming the area up a bit with a torch (not red hot). That will soften whatever thread sealant is on there.

kfrede86

Ultimate Member
    Feb 22, 2010
    St. Marys
    Yeah, looking down the barrel from the FH turning left. I'm just going to hold off and let Brad take a look. I had some free time tonight so I thought I'd give it another go.:sad20:

BradMacc82

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Aug 17, 2011
    BCM may possibly have used some sort of thread-locker, but I wouldn't bet money on it.

If it's a 16" (or greater) barrel, it should just be whatever specified torque they set it to.

FWIW - A few years ago I had a hell of a time getting the birdcage off a Stag upper, that sumbitch was REALLY on there. Was sure I'd damage the upper before it let loose, but it did finally give in, no damage to the upper or threads.

A proper vice, receiver block/action rod and an armorer's wrench go a long ways sometimes. :)

kfrede86

Ultimate Member
    Feb 22, 2010
    St. Marys
    BCM may possibly have used some sort of thread-locker, but I wouldn't bet money on it.

If it's a 16" (or greater) barrel, it should just be whatever specified torque they set it to.

FWIW - A few years ago I had a hell of a time getting the birdcage off a Stag upper, that sumbitch was REALLY on there. Was sure I'd damage the upper before it let loose, but it did finally give in, no damage to the upper or threads.

A proper vice, receiver block/action rod and an armorer's wrench go a long ways sometimes. :)

I was pricing them online earlier today, then I ran across the "make your own wood block vise barrel thing that works great"....NOT! I'll break down and probably buy one eventually so I don't have this problem again. I don't know the tolerances on these uppers or barrels and I don't wanna go cranking on this thing and screw it up.

This whole ordeal has made me crack open a beer or few. :toothless

BradMacc82

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Aug 17, 2011
    The wood blocks seem to work better for bolt guns for some reason.

My receiver blocks came from Brownell's, and for the price they've done me right for the past few years. I'll probably pick up an action rod later on down the road, I like how it interfaces with the barrel extension.

556ready

Mar 5, 2012
    AAco
    I had my dad hold the rifle while I stuck a flat head screwdriver through the cage. After a little persuasion it came off.

BradMacc82

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Aug 17, 2011
    Thanks again, Brad. Really goes to show that having the right tools for the job makes all the difference.

It was no problem at all. Was glad to help.

It was nice that the suppressor mount timed nicely without the shim kit.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    tse3gbs

Latest threads

Top Bottom