• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Morgan321

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Jul 6, 2013
    SOMD
    I went to myrtle grove today. I picked up a a lot of 300 blackout brass. Picked up hundreds of 5.56 and too much 9mm also. I send the 556 off to one of those guys on ar15.com who turns it into 300 blackout and keeps 1/2 as payment. In the 2 hours I was there only 1 other guy picked up his brass.

Why does hardly anybody pick up brass here? I've been to myrtle grove maybe 6 times and leave with at least 10lb everytime, often much more. Where I'm from people pick up .22 brass and melt it into bullets and lots of people even reload steel cases. With the outrageous ammo prices around here it really surprises me.

-Z/28-

I wanna go fast
    Dec 6, 2011
    Harford Co
    Most of us don't have the time or space to reload. And if you don't shoot often, it's expensive to get into. Personally, I've been picking mine up and bringing it home most of the time even though I don't reload. I figure once I have a significant quantity, I can sell it.

BradMacc82

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Aug 17, 2011
    2 reasons:

1 - People are lazy, or just don't reload.

2 - The DNR guys (Dan and Ronnie) that are tasked with the day to day operation/upkeep of MG normally come thru before and after hours to collect brass.

What they do with it is none of my concern. The pay isn't likely going to make them millionaires, and the yearly budget probably isn't what it could be either. So if it helps them out, or helps pay for more stands/general upkeep - then more power to them.

Minuteman

BANNED!!!
    Most of us don't have the time or space to reload. And if you don't shoot often, it's expensive to get into. Personally, I've been picking mine up and bringing it home most of the time even though I don't reload. I figure once I have a significant quantity, I can sell it.

Pretty much this.

I don't reload, and like to let others who do just take my brass, friendly like.

If I'm shooting some really good stuff, I might collect it, I have a couple ziploc bags filling up; might sell it or just give it away. Most ranges I go to the range makes a little off the brass, so it's an extra donation to the club.

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    More brass for those of us who do reload. :)

And I do ask before picking up any brass (is someone is around) and thank the people who are willing to let me have their brass.

You can get started in reloading for under $200 for equipment. And start saving something from 10 cents to $1 per round (depend on caliber and what quality you are using).

Blackstar65

Ultimate Member
    Jun 27, 2010
    For the most part is get free ammo. So in have no need to collect brass and reload. If I sold the bass I think my department would have a big problem with it. Then no one would get ammo except for use at the department range. So I leave it.

FlatsFlite

Aug 6, 2012
    King George, VA
    Last year at MG, I was lucky to get my own brass back. During the 11 months of panic the buzzards were picking it clean. My cousin and I would take turns shooting, just so we could catch our own brass before it was snatched. Then it became a competition to see if we could catch them all before they hit the ground.

tony b

Ultimate Member
    Jan 20, 2012
    Joppa
    Most think it is a waste of their time. I do not agree. I pick up for those who don't wish to

El_flasko

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Nov 16, 2008
    Abingdon, MD
    I pick up my own as does my friend that reloads same calibers. This was I also know how many times the brass has been fired. Just my preference. Never had someone try to grab my brass. Lol, that sounds funny...

Morgan321

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Jul 6, 2013
    SOMD
    I can easily fill a flat rate box with all the brass I've picked up at myrtle grove in 3 trips. That's $100 off ammo at freedom munitions for only a few minutes of time and $15 shipping!

shaddydan

ADHD chicken fighter
    Oct 22, 2010
    Hydes
    I always pick up brass. It doesn't matter what caliber. The calibers I don't load for, someone else prolly does and I'm always happy to trade. For a while, brass was hard to find as everyone was picking it up but now it seems to have gone back to the reloaders.

HogCommander

Aug 10, 2013
    Texas Hill Country
    I used to pick up a lot of brass at Myrtle Grove a few years ago. Would generally wait till shooting hours were over and pick up whatever was left behind. Took my youngest boy there to shoot today and there's not much brass on the ground compared to 2-3 years ago.

rem87062597

Annapolis, MD
    Jul 13, 2012
    I always pick up my brass, whether it's reloadable or not. Not only because I'm going to be getting into reloading some day, but also because I think it's kind of a dick move to leave the range in worse condition than when you got there. The only exception in my opinion is if the brass is actually worth something to someone else, like if you have a bunch of .308 that you're just going to throw away, then pick it up and put it in a nice pile somewhere with a post-it note that says something like "free" on it.

Bertfish

Throw bread on me
    Mar 13, 2013
    White Marsh, MD
    I'm fanatic about policing my brass. I don't currently reload but one of the my two things I told myself I'd do after graduation was to learn reloading. I've got 4 five gallon buckets of 223 brass and a single bucket of 9mm. Smaller amounts of plenty of other calibers which I will save up for a while

Sharadeth

Oct 11, 2011
    Honestly I've been tempted to head to myrtle grove just to collect brass in 9mm so I can load up some rounds before I turn 21 :innocent0

rico903

Ultimate Member
    May 2, 2011
    One of these days I'm going to start reloading so I do pick up my brass. What gets my ire up is the employees at indoor ranges who are sweeping up your brass before you have a chance. I find myself stopping to pick up my brass every mag or 2 or it's gone. If you're paying by the hour this cuts into your shooting time quickly. I know they make money on it but they border on just plain greedy.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Spb5205

Latest threads

Top Bottom