• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Slimjim

Ultimate Member
    Mar 6, 2007
    So my local gun monger had a colt m16a1 barrel which dated from 1970-1973 laying on a shelf, 1/12 twist, flash removed front sight post. For 125.00, So i bought it. Now last night i ordered one of the starter kits from centerfire systems which is the upper, BCG, flash hider, and a bunch of small parts. So once that gets here all i need to do is source a stock set, buffer, spring, grip, and a set of triangular handguards as well as some small lower parts.

Going to build a m16a1 clone :) Than i get to wait for nodak to get more retro lowers in stock.

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    If you don't have a lower already, and live in MD, you have a problem,

Storm40

Ultimate Member
    Apr 13, 2009
    Harford County
    if you find a good source for handguards, lemme know. i'm doing a faux classic build myself. A2 stock, triangle handguards, forward assist. i'm going to get an upper with a rail and detachable handguard, though.

eruby

Confederate Jew
    MDS Supporter
    Sportsman's Guide has this Colt kit for $600.

http://www.sportsmansguide.com/net/cb/used-us-military-colt-m16a1-parts-kit.aspx?a=1115592

retro.jpg

rob-cubed

In need of moderation
    Sep 24, 2009
    Holding the line in Baltimore
    Engage had a bunch of retro kits. I poked through a couple of boxes and they looked pretty nice. A few had neat rack numbers painted on them. Don't forget the teardrop assist!

By far the best lowers for these are the retro ones that Nodak puts out. They are pretty close match in finish color to most of the A1 kits out there.

I got mine from Apex way back when... had a cracked handguard, pretty common. I forget where I sourced a replacement.

Slimjim

Ultimate Member
    Mar 6, 2007
    i already have a lower built. need a stock. i thought the engange kits were full auto?

Not an issue, you can use almost all the FA para, clip tail off disco, throw auto sear away.
    And get a semi selector.

Shazam

Dec 20, 2012
    Centerfire canceled my M16 kit a couple weeks ago. No explanation was given in the email so i called them up to ask why. Lady on the phone said no kits to MD and didn't seem to care in the least. Hope they ship yours.

lawrencewendall

Been There, Done That
    Oct 10, 2009
    I'm happy. Combined with an 80% lower I just finished, she's ready for a range day.

Attachments

• P1010598.jpg
      P1010598.jpg
      59.9 KB · Views: 250
    • P1010599.jpg
      P1010599.jpg
      58.3 KB · Views: 248

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members