Private Transfer at MSP - 8th day release?

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • 10xclean

MDS Supporter
    Dec 23, 2008
    Kingsville
    I do a private sale and go to barracks to do the paper work. I assume that paperwork is being held 70-90 days like all the other applications. Are the MSP telling the seller to hold until the paper work returns or are they telling private sales to release the firearm after the 8th day. Sale is a pistol or regulated firearm. What are they going to tell me?

Thank you.

Kbroc2

Jun 1, 2013
    Harford
    Try and see if they tell a private seller to release all the stingy old gunshops will do the same

10xclean

MDS Supporter
    Dec 23, 2008
    Kingsville
    last time I did this before the big backup, they told me release after 8th day. In private sales, they do not contact the seller. Wanted to know if anyone has done this recently and thier experience and what they were told.

TwinTurboDiesel

Hellbilly Punk
    May 21, 2012
    Bel Air, MD
    Bel Air barracks trooper said that the seller was good to release the firearm on the 8th day to the buyer. He stated that several times and we asked several times.

jr88

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 7, 2011
    Free?? State
    I did one in Essex 3 weeks ago, when I asked the question I was told"I can't tell you to release the gun after 8 days, but it is within the law". Still a CYA answer.

Nov 14, 2010
    Kingsville, MD
    I just got the paperwork back from a transfer done in feb. The trooper at the barracks said I had to wait to get the paperwork back before the transfer. However, when the paperwork came back, there was and additional paper in there that stated that the firearm can be transfered on the 8th day. I should have copied it but I didn't.

rsj1231

Ultimate Member
    Feb 24, 2013
    Harford County
    Just did a private transfer at the Golden Ring barracks and the officer said we could exchange firearm on the 8th day and that papers would be mailed to the seller.

Mar 31, 2011
    Frederick, MD
    If you come to the Westminster barrack, most of us tell you to release on 8th day. And by most of us, I mean that I haven't heard of anyone here say otherwise.

jac43k

Ultimate Member
    Mar 8, 2010
    Taneytown, MD
    I just recently sold a gun to a member here. Once the Trooper verified the serial# on the gun, he looked at the buyer and stated seller will hold the gun for seven days and can release the gun to the buyer on the 8th day. The transfer was done at the Jessup Barrack

Sean415

Unrepentant HKholic
    May 28, 2013
    I've done it at two different barracks and they all say okay to release on the 8th

MDGolom

Ultimate Member
    Sep 29, 2010
    Baltimore County
    They will tell you that you can transfer the weapon after the 7th day if you haven't heard back. Once you do receive the paperwork, you still need to have both parties sign the completed 77R and return to MSP to complete the transfer.

It's up to both parties to agree to whether they do the transfer on the 8th day or wait until the paperwork is back. Make sure both agree before making starting the paperwork.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Skarface

Latest threads

Top Bottom