• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Ganegrei

Comblock Convert
    Jun 23, 2011
    Somewhere in BoCo
    Hi,

I just bought a new house and am looking for help with a television installation. The best/only place in my living room for my new 30 inch flat screen is over the fireplace. The problem is that I have no idea how to properly secure the TV in the brick mantle/chimney. I want to hire someone to do this the right way so I do not end up with damaged brickwork and a broken TV.

Arbutus/Halethorpe area.

Thanks!

Chris0nllyn

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Mar 6, 2012
    Calvert County
    All thread + http://www.quikrete.com/productlines/HighStrengthAnchoringEpoxyPro.asp

Make a template of the moutning bracket. Drill a large enough hole for the all thread + epoxy, then squirt some epoxy in the hole, push in the all thread, and fill the rest of the hole with more epoxy. Make sure the all thread only sticks out of the hole enough to mount the bracket, and it won't interfere with the TV when it's hung.

Let it dry completely, then just bolt the TV bracket on.

Done it many times, and even done pull ups on the brackets.

Another option is to drill through the grout, and hopefully a sheet of plywood is behind the stone. Then all you'd have to do it bolt it on like you would a stud.

jr88

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 7, 2011
    Free?? State
    I would not bolt directly to a fireplace wall. How about a ceiling mount above the fireplace?
    In addition to possible damage to the brick, the increased heat from the brick can cause premature failure to electronics.

eddiek2000

Sweet Lemonade!!
    Feb 11, 2008
    Southern Maryland - Chuck Co.
    I would not bolt directly to a fireplace wall. How about a ceiling mount above the fireplace?
    In addition to possible damage to the brick, the increased heat from the brick can cause premature failure to electronics.

I seriously doubt the brick will get any hotter than the electronics get when powered up.

But I agree with not attaching to the brick. Plenty of ceiling mounts out there. I used one in the basement for my kids tv. My walls are steel studs and it was the best solution.

Here it is:
    http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001KPILLE/ref=oh_details_o04_s00_i00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I modified it for my purpose, but it should work for your purpose, if there is a joist to mount to in the ceiling.

NHaze

Mar 15, 2011
    Shepherdstown, WV
    Mounting to brick? Hammer Drill and red heads or epoxy in some all thread as previously suggested. Be careful mounting a TV above a fireplace - it has killed TVs before. Remember that heat rises straight up. My parents had a 9 month old Sony Bravia mounted above a (gas!) fireplace die because of it. Not saying don't, just don't fly in blind.

elitehome

Aug 5, 2011
    Ceciltucky
    You are more than safe mounting to brick have sold and installed over 200 sets on brick fireplaces. The only thing I do recommend is that you have some sort of mantle if the opening of the fireplace opening is closer than 18 inches.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Skarface

Latest threads

Top Bottom