• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • TopTechAgent

MDS Supporter
    Nov 30, 2012
    Mooresville, NC
    I too as caught off guard by these questions over 10 years ago. I did some digging and found plenty of articles at the time about the Anti movement of the AMA

Like this:

http://www.gunblast.com/AMA.htm

So I chose to answer NO for many years as I thought the questions were un-reasonable and intrusive.

Looking back though that approach caused another issue I hadn't thought of.

Since the parent is asked these questions most often in front of their children and by surprise a quick choice is required. Tell the truth and reveal you have guns to your children (when they may not be aware yet) or lie to get past the question and remain private. (Just Say No)

However: As my children got older we were asked this again. This time our children having the knowledge of our ownership. Of course you want your children to learn to be honest with their DR. "But Dad..you have been lying all along..."

Looking back I should have asked the DR to have the opportunity to answer that question privately with my children out of the room.

We love our DR and would continue to bring our children there even if she was Anti 2A. To the defense of her and their practice we ARE asked about Poisons, Pools, Proper Use of Helmets, Etc.

I just don't think our gun ownership should be in our children s health record.

Now, if you think Ammo Logs are bad...think of electronic records of all these interviews and national health care. Easy way to make you buy that liability insurance too.

R1Peacock

Jan 8, 2013
    Carroll County, MD
    My kid's doc has asked that question for nearly 10 years. I never gave it much thought -- hard to hide it when I was wearing a Baltimore County uniform at one of their annual check ups. More about safety than anything else - just doing their part to make sure the kids are safe.

RP

nedsurf

Ultimate Member
    Feb 8, 2013
    The EMR's are what concerns me as well. And quite honestly, Doc, if you have any patient files on computer then the government can access them if they want. We are only a howitzers' cough from NSA.

+1 on concern for the EMRs. Lots of EMR systems have many "pages" of clicking using charting by exception. I can totally envision a page set up in which a provider will click an affirmative on the gun question. I do not have faith that these records are absolutely secure since there is routine violation of HIPAA done intentionally without EMRs fully in place. I base what I say on what I have personally observed in my interactions with the medical field. I don't think this goes off into tinfoil headwear territory.

K31

"Part of that Ultra MAGA Crowd"
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 15, 2006
    AA county
    Tell the Doctor you dislike having bureaucrats, politicians, insurance companies, law enforcement agencies and ex-Kenyan comunity organizers playing Doctor. Ask him to treat you in kind by not playing social engineer.

RoadDawg

Nos nostraque Deo
    Dec 6, 2010
    My sons Doctor never had to ask about this subject... He knew that I was a LEO and it went without saying. In retrospect I should have asked more about the effects of Oxycodone.

Now I am of the opinion that doctors do what they are told to do. The same as many other professions. Also that these "Do you have a gun in the house?" questions are intrusive and ridiculously obvious in the way they are asked. If it was really for the children... They would have a form with all other items listed.

Do you have any of the following items in your house and are they safely stored?
    - toxic chemicals.
    - sharp knives.
    - glass bottles.
    - prescription meds.
    - venomous pets.
    - electric power tools.
    - gasoline powered tools.
    - stairs.
    - forks.
    - buttons or other small choking hazzards.
    - baseball bats.
    - fish hooks.
    - staple guns.
    - scissors.
    - sewing needles.
    - razor blades.
    - and how many other things can a child be hurt with ad nausium.

No... I am sorry but I do not believe that a gun in the house predisposes the child to injury. Not any more than having spoons in the house predisposes the adult to obesity. Or having whiskey in the house predisposes any one to alcoholism. There is a reason that this one single item has been selected for reporting. And it is NOT for the safety of any child. :cool:

teratos

My hair is amazing
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 22, 2009
    Bel Air
    The government dictates a certain minimum we have to document in order to bill at a certain level. As of now, that minimum only includes points relative to medicine. I also have to council 50% of the people who have a BMI above "normal" that they should lose weight. My counciling is usually "the government thinks you are too fat". I also am required to give 10% of people handouts regarding their condition. This is for a special certification which lets us make a little more money. It's getting silly. We are one of the most tightly regulated occupations. I can get in trouble for billing you less than you should have been billed for a visit.

rico903

Ultimate Member
    May 2, 2011
    :lol:
    Whenever a doctor asks me if I have any guns in my house, I ask them if they have anal sex with their spouse. Usually causes a shock, but after they get over it, I tell them "well now that we're getting personal...". Usually ends the conversation.

goofy810

Jan 14, 2013
    :thumbsup:

I can only pray that enough doctors think like you, Teratos!

My son-in-law is a newly minted doctor, interning in pediatrics. Unfortunately, he's also a lib/dem with strong statist views. I just hope he matures out of it.

And you let him become your son-in-law, should have cleaned the guns when he came to pick up your daughter on the first date hehe:innocent0

goofy810

Jan 14, 2013
    Nurse: Do you have a gun in your home?
    Me: Yes, a nail gun, a suction gun and newly acquired Pop-tart gun.

Me: NO, I keep it right here in my pocket at all times!

Add this one

Me: No its in my pants and as your my kids doc you know it doesn't shoot blanks :party29:

Moon

M-O-O-N, that spells...
    Jan 4, 2013
    In Orbit
    Not sure if this is the correct place for this thread but here goes. I am a new father and took my boy to the pediatrician for a routine checkup. The nurse asked some routine questions at first then it took a weird turn. Nurse asked if i had any guns in the house. Unsure how to respond, i hesitated. Then she aked again and i asked why she need to know. The answer was we have to make sure the child is safe. I didnt aswer with a yes or no, but i responded the child is very safe, thanks for asking. Then she took a different approach and asked if i had a gun safe andthen started prying into how many and what types of guns were in the house. Has anyone ever heard of this? I felt like i was being interogated. Is this part of the new obamacare system? I asked a few of my friends and they have never been asked these questions.

It's not a legitimate concern of the doctor to know. The fact that even on a pro 2a forum there are "It's just a question, no big deal" opinions on it is a big reason why we can hardly keep, and almost never, bear arms anymore.

branj70

New dude
    Jan 3, 2012
    I work in pediatric ER and ive never heard of that but its probably just a PMD sort of thing. Although i will say, i have seen some freakin WEIRD people that bring their kids in and probably should be grilled on it..

DimaK

May 15, 2012
    - Do you own a gun?
    - No I don't own A gun...

No harm or conspiracy here IMO. Many gun owning parents need a long course in gun safety and kids. Maybe not most of this website's readership, but many out there in the real world. If asking a patient that question has a 1% chance of getting them to lock up their firearm or store it more safely, it's a worthwhile intervention.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Sarca

Latest threads

Top Bottom