• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • TheWhiteBuffalo

Not Impressed
    Dec 26, 2012
    Hughesville, MD
    I'm bored to tears with all of this cold weather, so I'm occupying my time with thoughts of building a really cool outdoor range on some property I own in King George County, VA. Nothing fancy, just a simple range for myself and friends to enjoy. I am not into visiting the firearms ranges, with the numerous personalities, and not to mention cost. I just enjoy shooting in the woods with friends and enjoying the day. We shoot targets and clay pigeons that are strung out on ropes.

With that being said, I have a large gully on my property where I go to shoot. There are no neighbors for miles and the gully is completely surrounded and is the perfect backdrop. The only draw back is that it is a short walk, to get down there, and the area is not perfectly flat, so you are shooting on a little bit of a downslope. There is a good 100 yards of space.

My idea is to clear out some small trees and make a nice path down to it, because I don't believe that I can drive a truck down there. The walk is only about 30 yards, not too bad. I would also like to build a small platform so that we wouldn't have to stand on the ground. Maybe a nice rail or two to rest the weapon on when shooting, and possibly integrate a simple tabletop for setting your gear on.

Anyone have any suggestions or recommendations on building something like this? I will be buying all of the materials that are needed. I am not a handy person, so this will be a real challenge. If anyone wants to lend a helping hand with the construction, you will be blessed with a free place to go anytime you want :party29:

Any suggestions are greatly appreciated. I'm thinking about laying down some weed type material (black rolls of fabric) for the path and maybe putting down some gravel? Would mulch or sawdust work for keeping down the growth?

Bootknife

Ultimate Member
    Man I wish I was still in Upper Marlboro shack,I would Help You Do Just That.I am currently at the Shack in Jacks( Jacksonville,Fl.) But could get into that project.I would personally pay for and build a Telephone Pole/Roofed two position, benched shooting Station! I am still looking for suitable property somewhere( Are You Listening Justin?) before I get too OLD to remember which end the Bullet Comes From!

sbbieshelt

Jun 26, 2009
    Simple Pleasures Farm
    Sounds like a great place to shoot. one thing that me and the kids love is shooting steel or reactive targets. poppers, dueling trees and the hard self sealing targets that bounce around are always fun. We mainly shoot .22 or 9mm because of the cost. the boys got tired of punching paper very quickly.

An easy idea would be a couple picnic tables. nice place for range bags and you can modify them to rest rifles on.

If timing works out I may be able to bring the tractor with some impliments to help you out.

Chris0nllyn

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Mar 6, 2012
    Calvert County
    I wouldn't worry about spending time putting down weed fabric.

I used to do landscaping, and it was such a pain working on people's homes who had that stuff. Once any layer of dirt gets on top of it, plants and weeds would grow on top of the barrier.

I'd get a weed whacker to keep it down. Less work, so you spend mroe time shooting, than cleaning up the range.

As far as your shooting platform, that's where I'd use the fabric. Get some 2x6's and make the base, spray round-up or till up the grass in the center of the "frame", then fill it with stone.

That way you can either build, or bring a bench, and use a pop-up tent as a roof. (if you don't want anything permanent)

Like others have said, I'm willing to help if you need it. I have a few chain saws and weed whackers. :lol2:

Franklin

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Sep 12, 2012
    close to budds creek
    mulch would do you fine. knock down the weeds with round up in the spring. ill come give you a hand with the chainsaw if you need one.. i dont need a place to shoot but i work better with a long neck budweiser on a stump and somone to talk to other than my dog.

TheWhiteBuffalo

Not Impressed
    Dec 26, 2012
    Hughesville, MD
    Thanks for all of the positive responses. I look forward to meeting some new friends and shooting all summer long.

We will certainly have a good time. Let's drag the grill down there and enjoy some shooting and cookin' some good BBQ.

I really appreciate the offers of help and support. I really hate the fact that I'm not a handy person, I would love to build it and just offer you all a great place to shoot. Unfortunately, if I build it, chances are it would be pretty darn pathetic.....lol

n&n'sdad

Take'em!!
    Dec 20, 2010
    In the goose pit
    Thanks for all of the positive responses. I look forward to meeting some new friends and shooting all summer long.

We will certainly have a good time. Let's drag the grill down there and enjoy some shooting and cookin' some good BBQ.

I really appreciate the offers of help and support. I really hate the fact that I'm not a handy person, I would love to build it and just offer you all a great place to shoot. Unfortunately, if I build it, chances are it would be pretty darn pathetic.....lol

Now you're talkin',guns and grillin' two of my favorite things!

SOMDSHOOT

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Nov 18, 2009
    Indian Head
    I don't know how much my shooting range looks like a shooting range, but, I shoot at the gravel pit on the farm. I just throw up a cardboard box with a target and start unloading. Any option for a private shooting range is a plus. I like to shoot 5-10 shot and walk to the target without waiting for 20-30 minutes for others to stop shooting peas at 25 feet. Here's my high-tech setup.

Attachments

• GRAVEL PIT.jpg
      GRAVEL PIT.jpg
      68 KB · Views: 167

nutz

Closer to 5's than 10's
    Jun 29, 2011
    Near Indian Head, Md.
    I wouldn't worry about spending time putting down weed fabric.

I used to do landscaping, and it was such a pain working on people's homes who had that stuff. Once any layer of dirt gets on top of it, plants and weeds would grow on top of the barrier.

I'd get a weed whacker to keep it down. Less work, so you spend mroe time shooting, than cleaning up the range.

As far as your shooting platform, that's where I'd use the fabric. Get some 2x6's and make the base, spray round-up or till up the grass in the center of the "frame", then fill it with stone.

That way you can either build, or bring a bench, and use a pop-up tent as a roof. (if you don't want anything permanent)

Like others have said, I'm willing to help if you need it. I have a few chain saws and weed whackers. :lol2:

Pramitol 25E mixed with diesel fuel = fast and long lasting nothing will grow there :rolleyes: Of course, you want to apply when it's dry and not spray near anything you want to keep.

285ferrari

Dec 7, 2012
    Waldorf
    I don't know how much my shooting range looks like a shooting range, but, I shoot at the gravel pit on the farm. I just throw up a cardboard box with a target and start unloading. Any option for a private shooting range is a plus. I like to shoot 5-10 shot and walk to the target without waiting for 20-30 minutes for others to stop shooting peas at 25 feet. Here's my high-tech setup.

Nothing wrong with that--Works great!!!

JoshN

Jan 23, 2013
    Maryland until I escape
    Id be happy to led an hand and a hammer when build time comes. I have an odd work schedule that gets me 6 days off for every 5-7 I work and I'm just up the road in Waldorf near the stadium. I wont try to brag but I build furniture as a hobby beside waging war against the tyranny of paper. I am sure I could help come up with a simple deck idea for a range.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    navyfirefighter1981

Latest threads

Top Bottom