• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • 71Chevelle427

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 19, 2015
    B'More County, Maryland
    Hire a pro. Not worth the risk of injury.

With that in mind, if you make the poor decision to do it yourself, please record it for our amusement.

Not sure why me picturing my own demise made ME chuckle, but it did...lol.

I also had the beginnings of a "nest" or whatever above the front door, under the eave. I waited until dark, and since it had just rained, hung out of the storm door for a ground based attack, lol

I tried the Spectracide 27 foot spray, and well, my aim was off a bit, and worse yet, on my 2nd "shot" somehow got a bit of the spray right on my lip...I aborted, so only got a little bit on the actual nest.

Did have some casualties anyway...one of which wasn't me, so that's good.

According to pics I found online, this could be a Yellow Jacket or a Paper Wasp...I can't tell.

Attachments

• yellow jacket.jpg
      yellow jacket.jpg
      26.1 KB · Views: 165

mpollan1

Foxtrot Juliet Bravo
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 26, 2012
    Мэриленд

I also had the beginnings of a "nest" or whatever above the front door, under the eave. I waited until dark, and since it had just rained, hung out of the storm door for a ground based attack, lol

I tried the Spectracide 27 foot spray, and well, my aim was off a bit, and worse yet, on my 2nd "shot" somehow got a bit of the spray right on my lip...I aborted, so only got a little bit on the actual nest.

According to pics I found online, this could be a Yellow Jacket or a Paper Wasp...I can't tell.

Really hard to tell from a picture but if it looked to you like a yellow jacket and the nest was exposed (cone shaped) that pic is of a paper wasp. Yellers almost invariably have nests in the ground or some kind of void, e.g. behind your siding.

71Chevelle427

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 19, 2015
    B'More County, Maryland
    Really hard to tell from a picture but if it looked to you like a yellow jacket and the nest was exposed (cone shaped) that pic is of a paper wasp. Yellers almost invariably have nests in the ground or some kind of void, e.g. behind your siding.

Yeah, I think you're right.

The bastard that stung me was a lot more yellow, and a bit smaller.
    That was around back, in a hole of some sort, in the siding, even with our deck flooring. We had an actual exterminator take care of that spot. Used some sort of powder. Then gave the wife a bill for $270.

This is a company that we've had a yearly contract with since 1999, but they've been bought out, and have no qualms about gouging their old, faithful customers. The wife didn't tell them about the ones located in the front or back of the house, under the eaves, and they want another $99 (inspection fee), plus treatment...again, to come back out.

I don't think it's right, and they've been subpar with their services and the yearly inspections cease to exist, hence this post, looking for their replacement.

I did order a pair of the wasp/bee traps ($10), that should be here Saturday. I figure I'll hang one near each spot I think they are entering at, while I try to find a new company to work with.

Like what is in the picture below, is what stung me, and has been taken care of.

The more black waspy things, like pictured above, are what is hanging around the eaves...

Attachments

• bee traps.jpg
      bee traps.jpg
      56.6 KB · Views: 154

omegared24

Ultimate Member
    Dec 23, 2011
    Ijamsville, MD

I've laughed at the thought of me doing something dumb and it not ending well...haha

You tried it the safe way so that's good. I would have given it a shot too.

Vodnik4

Between two waters
    Jan 8, 2021
    Slower, lower MD
    Yellers almost invariably have nests in the ground or some kind of void, e.g. behind your siding.

In a previous old house, we would get yellowjackets now and then in the basement. Could not figure out where they were coming from.
    Then I was remodeling a bathroom on the second floor, and tore out the tile and drywall in the shower, that was on the external wall. There was the nest, maybe three-four feet in diameter (flat though, it was between the drywall and the cinderblock).

Although it was in the middle of winter, when the buggers were hibernating, I came close to needing a change of underwear.
    Got my courage back, carefully scooped the nest into a big thick garbage bag, drove it straight to the dump.

10xclean

MDS Supporter
    Dec 23, 2008
    Kingsville
    at night or evening use a little bit of Sevin dust around the entrance to the hole. think about 1-2 oz of dust. as they fly in and out the dust gets on them they track it inside and kills the whole bunch. Works great done it a few times... takes only 2-3 days.

71Chevelle427

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 19, 2015
    B'More County, Maryland
    Did you find one, I can ask a couple people I know who.

No, not yet. A few of my neighbors use a local place, called Raven Termite & Pest Control, which I may be trying here soon.

American Pest is who we've been using, but I'm pretty much done with them. We originally were dealing with a smaller, local company, then these people bought them out, and service has pretty much sucked ever since...

chilipeppermaniac

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    I have used Atlas exterminating in the past
    They will take on any bees except paper hornets. Yellow jackets are bad but paper hornets tops the list.

When you say paper hornets, do you mean the black and white Bald Faced Hornets?

We get them, and in 2019 we got a basketball sized nest up under our front porch ceiling in the corner closest to our driveway of course.

I went through about 4-6 cans of Spectracide and would spray the nest at night. Sometimes I'd hit it from the driveway and run back into the house thru our side door. Other times I would slide the top sash down on our front window just wide enough to spray the can through and slam it back shut. Man are those hornets fast when they start evacuating. I could hear em hit the siding and window glass so fast but knew they'd be dead from the poison.

I did not risk getting close to that nest until a couple weeks passed, and I no longer saw any drones approaching or leaving the nest site.

chilipeppermaniac

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    No, not yet. A few of my neighbors use a local place, called Raven Termite & Pest Control, which I may be trying here soon.

American Pest is who we've been using, but I'm pretty much done with them. We originally were dealing with a smaller, local company, then these people bought them out, and service has pretty much sucked ever since...

No Need deal with Sucky service. Poop on that.
    I will also never forget the time I got multiple yellow jacket stings from either ground ones or ones that nested in the walls of an old construction trailer I used to have. I broke out in hives and took and ambulance ride to Carroll County Hospital. Got an IV of Benedryl, some oxygen, and an EKG, then went home with a script for Epi Pen.

Have had Wasp or Single Yellow jacket stings since then, and no effects. Although I did have 2 buddies who had the Anaph. Shock. One died, one lived.

remrug

Ultimate Member
    Mar 13, 2009
    manchester md
    Yellow jackets are no joke...Had a neighbor get stung by them,then a few days later got stung again. Not sure why,but the second time killed him.

BradyWarrior

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Dec 13, 2014
    Maryland
    Get rid of them, spare no expense.

When I was a kid I stepped on a yellow jacket nest, which was just a hole in the ground….before I knew what happened I was covered in them swarming and stinging me.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Curtis6789

Latest threads

Top Bottom