• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • DutchV

Ultimate Member
    Jul 8, 2012
    I got a call today from an officer with the Annapolis PD, wanting to return a stolen pistol. There's one little problem: I haven't had any guns stolen. And I've never owned a "Jimenez JA9".

So it looks like one of two things has happened:

1) A state data entry clerk fat-fingered somebody's paperwork and accidentally registered a Jiminez JA9 to me.

2) An employee at one of the gun shops I've used forged an application using my name to get a pistol out of the shop. This would have to have been prior to the HQL "app and pin numbers" of course. And there's been quite a few gun shops over the years, so who knows?

Not a big deal to me. And I doubt I'll hear any more about it. Just interesting. Makes me wonder how many errors that database has.

teratos

My hair is amazing
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 22, 2009
    Bel Air
    I had a friend who got a call about them returning a handgun. Problem was, he sold it years ago. Did the paperwork and all. The cop didn't want to hear it and ended the conversation with "do you want it or not"?

Kman

Blah, blah, blah
    Dec 23, 2010
    Eastern shore
    I had a friend who got a call about them returning a handgun. Problem was, he sold it years ago. Did the paperwork and all. The cop didn't want to hear it and ended the conversation with "do you want it or not"?

Yep... don't screw up the system with details and correctness, just let me checkbox/pencil whip my way through my job.

dblas

Past President, MSI
    MDS Supporter
    Apr 6, 2011
    I got a call today from an officer with the Annapolis PD, wanting to return a stolen pistol. There's one little problem: I haven't had any guns stolen. And I've never owned a "Jimenez JA9".

So it looks like one of two things has happened:

1) A state data entry clerk fat-fingered somebody's paperwork and accidentally registered a Jiminez JA9 to me.

2) An employee at one of the gun shops I've used forged an application using my name to get a pistol out of the shop. This would have to have been prior to the HQL "app and pin numbers" of course. And there's been quite a few gun shops over the years, so who knows?

Not a big deal to me. And I doubt I'll hear any more about it. Just interesting. Makes me wonder how many errors that database has.

The number of errors in the transfer database are too numerous to track.

trickg

Guns 'n Drums
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 22, 2008
    Glen Burnie
    The number of errors in the transfer database are too numerous to track.
    There's an old saying when it comes to data:

Garbage in=garbage out

If the data was bad to begin with, it won't get any better when it's reported on or reviewed.

TheOriginalMexicanBob

Ultimate Member
    Jul 2, 2017
    Sun City West, AZ
    Prior to the requirement all handguns had to go through the MD seven-day wait and background check (1990s) I contacted the firearms section at MSP and said I wanted to notify them I had sold several handguns and wanted them out of my name (silly me...how naive I was). I was told very plainly by a non-LEO employee I had no business selling any guns to someone who wasn't willing to register them. Shortly after I complained to an MSP officer about the attitude of the person I talked to and he was quite bent out of shape the civilian employee would behave like that and apologized.

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    Look at it this way ....... You are the last chance for that firearm. If you don't take it in , it will proceed directly to being melted down .

This might seem like humor , but it's not .

DutchV

Ultimate Member
    Jul 8, 2012
    Look at it this way ....... You are the last chance for that firearm. If you don't take it in , it will proceed directly to being melted down .

This might seem like humor , but it's not .

This pistol is not a Python. The Jimenez sold for $200 new and was a zinc-framed second place competitor to the HiPoint. Used, it's worth nearly nothing. And I'd be lying to a cop. Let them melt it.

teratos

My hair is amazing
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 22, 2009
    Bel Air
    This pistol is not a Python. The Jimenez sold for $200 new and was a zinc-framed second place competitor to the HiPoint. Used, it's worth nearly nothing. And I'd be lying to a cop. Let them melt it.

This.

CharlieFoxtrot

Industry Partner
    Sep 30, 2007
    Foothills of Appalachia
    Same thing happened to me. Got a letter from PG PD saying I could come and pick up my recovered stolen pistol. Only problem was never had a gun stolen at that time. No idea how a serial number on a charter arms revolver was linked to me.

Bob A

όυ φροντισ
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Nov 11, 2009
    A few years ago, went to MSP to transfer an old Webley revolver. Got hung up for a while, MSP saying it was stolen. Eventually figured out they were looking at the wrong model.

I'm surprised they managed to sort it out in only 15-20 minutes, and no one went to jail.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    christian04

Latest threads

Top Bottom