• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • kmittleman

Nov 22, 2010
    Howard County
    Hi all,

I know all SKS’s are considered to be reliable, but is there any hierarchy - are they any worse than any of the others? I know the Yugo’s don’t have a chrome lined bore, but beyond that are they worth having?

Thanks!

K

zoostation

, ,
    Jan 28, 2007
    Abingdon
    I used to collect them. Yes, the Yugos are nice weapons as long as they were not left to rust from corrosive ammo. While the Yugoslavian Army was very disciplined about weapons maintenance, after the breakup, not so much. And corrosive 7.62x39 ammo was made and issued well into the modern age. The Eastern Bloc armies loved it for reliability after long term depot storage.

A couple to mention. Albanians are rare and certain years are very rare driving up the value. Russians from my experience still have the best quality. Chinese quality can vary but the older military-built guns tend to be of excellent quality from my experience. So much to write, so little time lol. SKS forums is usually a great resource.

Jimbob2.0

Ultimate Member
    Feb 20, 2008
    All good examples and will shoot well. I would say the bottom end is the 59/66 with the grenade launcher, its heavy and largely useless in civy form. I have one but got it cheap "unissued".

Its arbitrary but I prefer Russian or spiker Chinese guns.

Combloc

Stop Negassing me!!!!!
    Nov 10, 2010
    In a House
    They are about the most heavy duty SKS built. So long as it's been cared for, it's as good as any out there.

Sirex