• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • antco

Ultimate Member
    Apr 28, 2010
    Calvert, MD
    Goulds had a bad run of pumps in the late 80s/early 90s. Some of the well guys switched to Red Jacket pumps. I think that Goulds now owns them.

I think my father installed a Grundfos on his new irrigation well.

Is there a difference in an irrigation well versus a standard household service well?

adit

ReMember
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 20, 2013
    DE
    Irrigation wells may or may not be deep. Here on the coast it isn't too hard to hit water, and a lot of it.

They may have variable speed submersible pumps and may have a "tank" in the well (pipe). http://www.inwelltech.com/products.html

Here they are using 4"-6" casing (for homes), and 45'-100' deep.

Regular private "drinking" wells are usually 8"-10", and are not any deeper, here at least. Back in MD growing up we had 1 well at 330', and the next house was 450'.

It's been well over 30 years, but I used to work for Bruce Gallup in Towson. He passed away 3 years ago; his company lives on. https://www.gallupwell.com/

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    Update 9/18/19 - Sort Of

Just after getting to work last night , recieved the dreaded phone call that the water stopped ! Mrs BF44 was displeased , I was in disbelief , followed by anger and panic .

Everything medium priced had already been done , as detailed in this thread . The only thing left to go wrong was actual pump . 1.5hp, at +/-$2 k , plus labor . Made stops on way home to rearrange funds if necessary .

Said to my self , it either has to be somthing stupid simple I could fix in 5min , or worst case ( well, plenty bad case, absolute worst is drill new well .

Broke out multi meter, started checking ........ And it was Stupid Simple !

In my previous endeavor , I had declared Victory 5 min prematurely I hadn't tightened down ( the two little screws on each side of pressure switch , which clamp down on the big insulated wire bundle ) . So when the big wires were bumped in laundry room , or the slight vibration of the pipes , one of the wires on pressure switch had compromised connection . So a little bending with needle nose , tightening down connections , and tightening ( those screws on outside stablizers ) , water is back ! wife is happy . I'm not out$2k plus I couldn't afford .

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    Update 9/19/19

And the dreaded phone call from home Again ! this morning , no water .

Initially, for all the wires , instead of straight wire under one side og the respective screw, it bent each wire into an eyelet, for even circular contact around each screw, plus contact grease on each . Annnd nothing .

Start tracing voltage path from circuit breaker, kill multi-meter #1 , after getting meter #2 , take 2hr nap before going to work . Cell phone got accidently muffled, missed phone call , lost income while getting unintended rest .

Finally before leaving for regular shift , quickly checked voltage with meter #2 . Input voltage @ pressure switch is good . Start tapping on switch , and get some sparks from a particular contact .

Power down , spray again with contact cleaner, move everything back & forth, and is moving freely. Don't have anything hand in 10sec to dress point surfaces. Power back up , and Water Flow !

But I can't declare Permanent Victory yet . Why is an essently brand new switch doing this, when it has been under dust cover ? At my first opportunity to get to old school hardware store will get an old school points file and dress the contacts.

The interim Good News is the issue is isolated to the pressure switch , and no mystery problems with house wiring or pump . I have a backup pressure switch still in blister pack if comes to that , and can now do the interim fix in 5 minutes .

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Eric_Hehl

Latest threads

Top Bottom