• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • kfrede86

Ultimate Member
    Feb 22, 2010
    St. Marys
    So I purchased a home about 3 years ago and have been wanting to get a filter or softener or combo? for the house. We've been having problems with clothes developing rust stains. I know nothing about this type of equipment and don't know if it's something I can install myself or if I should have a pro come out and take a look at it. We are on well water and the pressure/bladder tank and hot water heater are located in the garage; it get's cold out there in the winter so if this is where it need to be installed it would have to withstand cold temps.

If anyone could provide information or recommend a professional it would be greatly appreciated. As mentioned, I don't know too much about this kind of stuff and wouldn't know where to start. Thanks

Bertfish

Throw bread on me
    Mar 13, 2013
    White Marsh, MD
    The rust is either mud from your well (rust colored) or actual rust from iron pipes (if you have any).

A regular home water filter available from the Home Depot should filter out most mud and rust with ease. Very simple to install yourself. At my place it is placed just after the bladder tank so as to protect the hot water heater as well as all of the other hardware in your house.

If you have a mineral problem (hard water; if you have white tubs/sinks it will slowly turn them blue/green) you would probably need to look at a softener system. I know little about those.

Any plumber could be hired to do either job but IMO a plain jane water filter is so easy to install you'd be throwing money away hiring someone to do it.

Dec 31, 2012
    With staining iron you need the softener filter combo. Softener will reduce the level of soluble iron and the filter will clean up iron that has become non-soluble(basically rust). If you have iron bacteria or colloidal iron you may need additional water cleanup. I'm dealing with upgrading an existing system now. The learning curve is not too steep and there's a great deal of info available on the web if you are mechanically inclined and wish to install it yourself. Systems can be bought from Amazon for under $1k. Otherwise you could call Culligan or another local provider to set you up. We have a few water gurus on the forum who will hopefully chime in.

Get the water tested to verify the source of iron or mud before you spend anything on a system.

If you've been there for 3 years and this is the first you've seen clothes being stained then maybe check the water heater before anything else.

kfrede86

Ultimate Member
    Feb 22, 2010
    St. Marys
    The rust is either mud from your well (rust colored) or actual rust from iron pipes (if you have any).

A regular home water filter available from the Home Depot should filter out most mud and rust with ease. Very simple to install yourself. At my place it is placed just after the bladder tank so as to protect the hot water heater as well as all of the other hardware in your house.

If you have a mineral problem (hard water; if you have white tubs/sinks it will slowly turn them blue/green) you would probably need to look at a softener system. I know little about those.

Any plumber could be hired to do either job but IMO a plain jane water filter is so easy to install you'd be throwing money away hiring someone to do it.

I haven't noticed any discoloration within the sinks or tubs. Only iron pipes are directly after the bladder tank and switch to copper shortly after. I've been looking at lowes, home depot, and amazon for different filters. Any particular brands I should check out or stay away from?

Thank you

With staining iron you need the softener filter combo. Softener will reduce the level of soluble iron and the filter will clean up iron that has become non-soluble(basically rust). If you have iron bacteria or colloidal iron you may need additional water cleanup. I'm dealing with upgrading an existing system now. The learning curve is not too steep and there's a great deal of info available on the web if you are mechanically inclined and wish to install it yourself. Systems can be bought from Amazon for under $1k. Otherwise you could call Culligan or another local provider to set you up. We have a few water gurus on the forum who will hopefully chime in.

Get the water tested to verify the source of iron or mud before you spend anything on a system.

If you've been there for 3 years and this is the first you've seen clothes being stained then maybe check the water heater before anything else.

Thanks, I'll look into testing before any purchasing. I thought the water heater as well and began washing clothes with cold water with the same results. I'm hoping this is something I can do on my own. My only concern is the cold temps felt in the garage where the filter/softener will most likely be installed. Thank you for the information.

Bertfish

Throw bread on me
    Mar 13, 2013
    White Marsh, MD
    I haven't noticed any discoloration within the sinks or tubs. Only iron pipes are directly after the bladder tank and switch to copper shortly after. I've been looking at lowes, home depot, and amazon for different filters. Any particular brands I should check out or stay away from?

Thank you

Not that I am aware of. They are all the same basic thing; a plastic housing that holds a filter that water must pass through.

K31

"Part of that Ultra MAGA Crowd"
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 15, 2006
    AA county
    So I purchased a home about 3 years ago and have been wanting to get a filter or softener or combo? for the house. We've been having problems with clothes developing rust stains. I know nothing about this type of equipment and don't know if it's something I can install myself or if I should have a pro come out and take a look at it. We are on well water and the pressure/bladder tank and hot water heater are located in the garage; it get's cold out there in the winter so if this is where it need to be installed it would have to withstand cold temps.

If anyone could provide information or recommend a professional it would be greatly appreciated. As mentioned, I don't know too much about this kind of stuff and wouldn't know where to start. Thanks

I don't know if they work as far as St. Marys but I've been very happy with Phelps in Edgewater.

http://www.phelpswater.com/

Stay away from Water Check.

MRA

Dec 10, 2010
    Damascus
    Not that I am aware of. They are all the same basic thing; a plastic housing that holds a filter that water must pass through.

This is true for a filter but not softeners. Each softener manufacturer can give the pros for their design and cons for their competitors. In general, better softeners use less salt for regeneration and have better quality valves and valve control units. Our unit is made by Hague Quality Water. It has been running 16 years w/o a glitch. The one in our previous house is going on 20 years w/o any problems. I'm sure there are other companies with good track records. My SIL's system is made by Culligan. She has had their system serviced many times in 12 years. She has also by-passed it several times for months because of the estimated repair cost. Maybe she got a lemon.

Bertfish

Throw bread on me
    Mar 13, 2013
    White Marsh, MD
    This is true for a filter but not softeners. Each softener manufacturer can give the pros for their design and cons for their competitors. In general, better softeners use less salt for regeneration and have better quality valves and valve control units. Our unit is made by Hague Quality Water. It has been running 16 years w/o a glitch. The one in our previous house is going on 20 years w/o any problems. I'm sure there are other companies with good track records. My SIL's system is made by Culligan. She has had their system serviced many times in 12 years. She has also by-passed it several times for months because of the estimated repair cost. Maybe she got a lemon.

Yes I was referring to the filter. I don't know squat about water softeners. My bad for the lack of clarity.

traveller

The one with two L
    Nov 26, 2010
    variable
    My SIL's system is made by Culligan. She has had their system serviced many times in 12 years. She has also by-passed it several times for months because of the estimated repair cost. Maybe she got a lemon.

Culligan makes their money on the service end of the deal. Someone has to pay for the 'hey culligan man' commercials.

Anyone here have experience with 'greensand filters'? I have some soluble iron and a slight hydrogen sulfide smell in my water. I understand that a greensand filter would take care of that.

Anyone have a good water lab they can recommend?

kfrede86

Ultimate Member
    Feb 22, 2010
    St. Marys
    Culligan makes their money on the service end of the deal. Someone has to pay for the 'hey culligan man' commercials.

Anyone here have experience with 'greensand filters'? I have some soluble iron and a slight hydrogen sulfide smell in my water. I understand that a greensand filter would take care of that.

We had a test done when we purchased the house. Trying to find the place we used. If I can track that down I'll pass the info along.

K31

"Part of that Ultra MAGA Crowd"
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 15, 2006
    AA county

Before you spend money on a green sand you may want to look at your water heater.

http://www.waterheaterrescue.com/Troubleshooting/stinky-water-in-hot-water-heaters.html

goose4

Jan 6, 2013
    Also be sure to check the washer/dryer closely....Had a similar problem and found the stains were coming from the dryer. It was some sort of grease in a crevice where the drum met the side or around the lint trap. Good luck!

Overboost44

6th gear
    MDS Supporter
    Jun 10, 2013
    Kent Island
    Hague has a location in Churchton, MD. I have had my Hague water softener for 15 years or more and have only had them out here to fix/tune it twice. It is true they make their money on service, but they aren't making much on me. I don't know if they make them like they used to, but I would at least suggest you look into them.

rseymorejr

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 28, 2011
    Harford County
    I think you can have your water tested at Home Depot. Rainsoft does the testing and puts together a proposal for your needs. I don't think they are cheap though.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    DominicM

Latest threads

Top Bottom