• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Status
    Not open for further replies.

vector03

Frustrated Incorporated
    Jan 7, 2009
    Columbia
    OP mentioned past interaction with law enforcement. That might be why they showed up first this time.

zoostation

, ,
    Jan 28, 2007
    Abingdon
    Outside of medic safety, I'm curious as to why. As I recall, PD just has very basic BLS training. What would they do if there's an active MI infront of them? Nitro, aspirin? AED? If it's just to have a body on the scene? Not sure about this. Regardless, I hope the OP has a successful outcome and is well.

I think it depends on the department. In the county I worked for, we never ran with fire on calls unless there was a police-related reason. The only exception being in the rural areas where police cars carried automatic defibrillators because they could often be at cardiac arrest scenes before fire.

In contrast, where I grew up in Bel Air, they used to dispatch the PD on every single ambulance call in town. Not sure if they still do or not.

marylandmark

Ultimate Member
    Mar 4, 2013
    Just to get the correct information out there and truly sorry you are going through what sounds like a crock of BS.

AR15's chambered in .223/5.56 were included in the Maryland Assault Weapons Ban in 2013. Because of that you can no longer purchase AR15's or AR15 clones within the state, with the one exception being AR15's which have a bull barrel.

Bull barrel (HBAR) means it is a rifle, not a pistol. Pistols don't have barrel profiles pe se.

My understanding is that this basically means AR15's that use either .223 or 5.56 (either in rifle or pistol configuration) are no longer legal to manufacture, sell, or transfer within the state of MD.
    So only the ones which were purchased and registered before October 1, 2013 are in private hands any more.

As far as AR15 pistols go, since MD uses an "approved handgun list", only those handguns specifically named on the list can be purchased within the state... And as far as I know only a handful of AR15 pistols are on the list.

Most FFL's can get a pistol on the approved handgun list. I found out the hard way it takes about 3 months to do but is fairly easy process none the less. Doesn't make it any less ignorant to have the list to start with but we all know that.

You can still purchase a Sig556 as a pistol or rifle as the Sig556 was not included in the Assault Weapons Ban, and since it does not have parts commonality with an AR15 it is not considered an AR15 clone of any sort.
    I believe this also means that AR15's which use other calibers such as 9mm are still legal for sale within the state because they do not use standard AR15 parts.

It's complicated (overly so).
    Long story short: You can no longer purchase an AR15 chambered in 5.56 with a govt. profile bbl in the state of MD. Not legally.

Correct as a .gov profile is a rifle, pistols are good to go. 9mm, etc are good to go as you stated as well.

AR Pistols and HBAR's are perfectly legal. Heck, you can even purchase an AK pistol if you wanted to.

Correct, I've bought both after FSA2013 but I'm sure they will be along shortly to "correct" that.

5.56blaster

Ultimate Member
    Police are typically not 1st responders for a medical emergency (unless threat to self). A 911 call for chest pain does not summon the police. If medics are not available then the fire department responds. This is very unusual. Why were the police summoned by the dispatcher? I don't even think they carry AED as standard.

Police respond to medical calls all the time, many have lots of EMS training. Ive been both (LEO and Fire/EMS) and in the thousands of calls I ran many times an LEO is on scene before EMS and if the call sounds like it may be something an LEO will show up if they aren't involved with something else if for nothing more than traffic control depending on the location.

lonzo

Dec 8, 2015
    Moco
    There are many reasons for police to be dispatched. Non of which have to do with firearms. However they were out of line once they got there. BCoPD is good for this, they confiscated a shotgun from me in 2003 with no charges. I eventually got it back and there was no reason for them to take it, or be in my house anyway.

did they shoot with it or something? anyways, did you file a complaint?

Schipperke

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 19, 2013
    Yes they did. The police took the AR15 pistol.
    I was told by my mother that the police WANTED to search the entire house and take EVERYTHING registered to me (while I was in the hospital), but she prevented that from happening.
    She did however GIVE THEM my handguns, shotgun, and ruger 10/22. While I did find that rather annoying to hear, it's nothing that can't be replaced. Only the AR15 the police actually took that night is irreplaceable, and that's only due to state law being what it is.

My main issue is the fact that police came into my home and decided to seize a firearm simply because it was there. That is unacceptable in my opinion, and something which should not be happening.

What the heck is going on with that?

CrazyIvan

Crazy Ivan
    Aug 2, 2013
    Scaggsville (Howard County)
    Police respond to medical calls all the time, many have lots of EMS training. Ive been both (LEO and Fire/EMS) and in the thousands of calls I ran many times an LEO is on scene before EMS and if the call sounds like it may be something an LEO will show up if they aren't involved with something else if for nothing more than traffic control depending on the location.

When I rode ambulance back in the early 90's, I always appreciated when the State Police or Sheriff's Deputies would arrive at the scene to help with crowd or traffic control, or even to help calm down family members, allowing us to work on the patients more readily.

SS396

Forum LEO whipping post
    Aug 19, 2013
    Frederick County
    Police are typically not 1st responders for a medical emergency (unless threat to self). A 911 call for chest pain does not summon the police. If medics are not available then the fire department responds. This is very unusual. Why were the police summoned by the dispatcher? I don't even think they carry AED as standard.

Officers are often sent on fire rescue calls if there is a "hazard" flag on the address. Past threats against officers, etc could generate a hazard entry. That's just one example. Not saying that is the case here. But as usual only one side of the story is being told.

weeman

Oct 2, 2009
    did they shoot with it or something? anyways, did you file a complaint?

I'm not sure what they did. It was just a plain old 870 express. I was young and naive, wasn't really sure what to do for recourse. Eventually I got a letter saying to come pick it up.

iCoder80

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Dec 31, 2015
    Officers are often sent on fire rescue calls if there is a "hazard" flag on the address. Past threats against officers, etc could generate a hazard entry. That's just one example. Not saying that is the case here. But as usual only one side of the story is being told.

I was thinking along the same lines. I suspect there is an additional back story on this situation.

Don H

Ultimate Member
    Jan 17, 2013
    Hazzard County
    Outside of medic safety, I'm curious as to why. As I recall, PD just has very basic BLS training. What would they do if there's an active MI infront of them?

CPR. PD would occasionally arrive before EMS, I've even seen cops doing CPR upon arrival of Fire or EMS.

Basically you call 911 for help you get any emergency service available. You can't tell 911 to only send EMS but not Fire or PD. And when you make that call you in effect give permission to which ever service arrives to enter your home.

That being said making an issue over a legal weapon while your in the middle of having an MI is a dick move. The troops take their orders from Little Jimmy J.

Blackstar65

Jun 27, 2010
    If their are minors under 16 in the home and were present during the call for service you have opened your self up to an allowing access charge. That's the only thing I can think of.

PJDiesel

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Dec 18, 2011
    What the heck is going on with that?

That's' what I was wondering, got all the way to page 3 and no one had asked......

Seems odd to want/need to "confiscate" anything at all from a person complaining of chest pains.....

Status
    Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    ESM07

Latest threads

Top Bottom