• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • kalister1

R.I.P.
    May 16, 2008
    Pasadena Maryland
    Please keep an eye on the website for York.

http://www.yorkpistol.blogspot.com/

What are called the "Back Pitts" are under construction. From what I read on the Blog the back pits are a mud hole right now. Weather permitting they will have some type of shoot going on in January, but I would not call it practice for 3 gun.

Broncolou

Jan 22, 2013
    Parkton MD
    Please keep an eye on the website for York.

http://www.yorkpistol.blogspot.com/

What are called the "Back Pitts" are under construction. From what I read on the Blog the back pits are a mud hole right now. Weather permitting they will have some type of shoot going on in January, but I would not call it practice for 3 gun.

The back pits are only a "mud hole" when they're not frozen..... :-) I'm not sure there will be a Jan fun shoot on the 24th unless the back pits get final grade/stone. The weather has not cooperated. If there is a fun shoot I'll prob go unless it's crazy cold.....

vinjet700

No one of significance
    Mar 1, 2013
    State of absolute disgust
    The back pits are only a "mud hole" when they're not frozen..... :-) I'm not sure there will be a Jan fun shoot on the 24th unless the back pits get final grade/stone. The weather has not cooperated. If there is a fun shoot I'll prob go unless it's crazy cold.....

They were grading today but it was STILL a mess....

photoracer

Competition Shooter
    Oct 22, 2010
    West Virginia
    I am interested but this would be the first time giving this a try.
    Unless I can get my new HBar built in the next month or so I would have to run a
    VZ-58
    Either MK1919 or Winchester '97
    MK1919 will put you in the Open division. Win 97 might be a little tough since it is a SASS firearm. Tac Optics can be shot with a shotgun that has a capacity of under 9 rounds but it means you might be reloading a lot more. Might be as manny as 13-15 shotgun rounds on a longer stage. Rifle has to be able to hit targets at a couple hundred yards at least on the field stage. Some of the team rifles get shared on that stage if it is like before.

brianong18

Nobody
    Jul 11, 2011
    Pasadena, MD
    anyone going on 1/24?, I've never been to York, but have been shooting steel at Delta for the last 3 seasons

I'm going to try to make it on the 24th. If anyone is interested, the people that I took some carbine/pistol and shotgun courses from said they could do a class more oriented to 3 gun. It's tentatively going to be on Feb. 21.

brianong18

Nobody
    Jul 11, 2011
    Pasadena, MD
    That's not what he said. New to shooting and new to three gun are two different things. The Match Director will need to make sure you can do what's required SAFELY. Brianong18 has taken a pistol/carbine course. Odd's are he is easily qualified to shoot the match. You might have similar skills and not be as newbie as you think.

If you have never drawn, fired, switched guns, shot some more and reloaded while moving under a time limit you might want to practice first.

That's why I recomended a fun shoot first. You can demonstrate your skills and see what's required from you.

Thank you for clarifying. Seems like new to shooting was being used the same as new to competition/running and gunning.

kalister1

R.I.P.
    May 16, 2008
    Pasadena Maryland
    Look at this website

http://yorkpistol.blogspot.com/

On the right side you will see LINKS

One of them is New Shooters to USPSA. In there Howard says he wants to see new shooters before he lets them in a match. This is an old link.

I do not know if this applies to the 3 gun or not?

Please Contact Howard to be sure.

Just a Guy at the Range

Dec 13, 2011
    Ok, lots of confusion here, lets see if I can help.

We at York need some kind of "proof" that you have some kind of experience in a timed competitive environment, before we will cut you loose at one of our action matches.
    Provable experience in IDPA, USPSA, etc is great.
    I say provable, as we have been lied to before, and the result was not pretty.
    Proof can be from looking up your USPSA class to a conversation, to one on one range time, or our favorite, participation in a (few) monthly FunShoots.
    I will personally assess your skill in a timed run n gun environment, and if you need help we will give it to you.

New to 3 gun? New to shooting in a group setting? That is what the FunShoot is all about. We have created a unique environment where we can cater to the brand new shooter to, well, Greg..... This is the venue to get started, and we mentor anyone willing to be mentored. All we ask of the new shooter is that you know what will happen when the gun goes bang. Please put a box thru it before coming out, the rest we will handle.

So, you wanna get into our 3M3G? Drop me a line at ghswope@gmail.com, drop Howard a line at hkbrt@verizon.net, watch (or better yet subscribe to) our blog at www.yorkpistol.blogspot.com. Its that easy.
    FYI, our next FunSHoot is this Saturday the 17th, where we can begin the assimilation....Brahaha!

g

brianong18

Nobody
    Jul 11, 2011
    Pasadena, MD
    Ok, lots of confusion here, lets see if I can help.

We at York need some kind of "proof" that you have some kind of experience in a timed competitive environment, before we will cut you loose at one of our action matches.
    Provable experience in IDPA, USPSA, etc is great.
    I say provable, as we have been lied to before, and the result was not pretty.
    Proof can be from looking up your USPSA class to a conversation, to one on one range time, or our favorite, participation in a (few) monthly FunShoots.
    I will personally assess your skill in a timed run n gun environment, and if you need help we will give it to you.

New to 3 gun? New to shooting in a group setting? That is what the FunShoot is all about. We have created a unique environment where we can cater to the brand new shooter to, well, Greg..... This is the venue to get started, and we mentor anyone willing to be mentored. All we ask of the new shooter is that you know what will happen when the gun goes bang. Please put a box thru it before coming out, the rest we will handle.

So, you wanna get into our 3M3G? Drop me a line at ghswope@gmail.com, drop Howard a line at hkbrt@verizon.net, watch (or better yet subscribe to) our blog at www.yorkpistol.blogspot.com. Its that easy.
    FYI, our next FunSHoot is this Saturday the 17th, where we can begin the assimilation....Brahaha!

g

Thanks for clarifying. Hope to make it out to a fun shoot. Do I have to be an Izaak Walton member? What do I need to bring to the fun shoot? Other than the normal firearms, ammo, eyes and ears.

Just a Guy at the Range

Dec 13, 2011
    Any event at York IWLA you see here is open to the public. We change up the format for most of our shoots on a monthly basis, so watch the blog for details about any specific one. Keeps things from getting dull.....

For Saturday, bring the usual, guns, eyes, ears and lots of ammo.

g

embermage

Sep 20, 2013
    Rising Sun
    He wants to see you and see you handle a gun.

Would you let somebody you never heard of run around with a loaded gun without first finding out if they understand the basics of firearm safety?

Now that makes more sense lol. I would say being former infantry should be a good indicator, but then again I have seen some dumb weapon safety violations by some of us that wear the blue cord. Guess I need to make a trip up there and get vetted so I can try these matches out. Been wanting to try these matches.

brianong18

Nobody
    Jul 11, 2011
    Pasadena, MD
    Mainly pistols only for this Saturday's Fun Shoot right? Was hoping to get some practice with my AR too for the 3M3G.

Sorry to the OP. This thread went a bit off topic. Did you ever find a third person for March?

Just a Guy at the Range

Dec 13, 2011
    Thanks Kalister1, You are spot on. You may also bring along your shotgun, with slugs.

OP-If you need a third member, email Howard, there are always stragglers lurking about that can round your team out.

g

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Spb5205

Latest threads

Top Bottom