• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Overboost44

6th gear
    MDS Supporter
    Jun 10, 2013
    Kent Island
    I did a search and couldn't find anything newer than 2008. I want to check my new builds and existing rifles for proper reloading of .223 and other calibers. I guess the Hornady OAL Gauge and bullet comparator set is the best way to go.

Should I spend the $60, or does someone have one sitting around? I imagine this is the kind of thing you only use once per gun and then it collects dust. Am I right with that line of thinking?

I like having all of my own tools, but sometimes it just doesn't make sense.
    http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000PD5VLA/ref=ox_sc_sfl_title_2?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER
    http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000PD6SD0/ref=ox_sc_sfl_title_3?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER

Last edited:

Klunatic

Ultimate Member
    Feb 28, 2011
    Montgomery Cty
    I have one and would let you use it but I don't think you in my area. It is a tool you don't use often (OAL length gauge) just when you get a new barrel. The comparator is something I use all the time when reloading. This is the only way to correctly measure the Ogive as OAL can vary on the boolits. The Ogive is what counts. I reload my rounds .020 off the lands if I can (and still get them to feed in the magazine).

Overboost44

6th gear
    MDS Supporter
    Jun 10, 2013
    Kent Island
    Thanks for the offer. That is a good start for me. I am buying stuff from amazon and wanted to add these to my order. I may as well just get them both and then I will have one to lend out.

BigDaddy

Ultimate Member
    Feb 7, 2014
    The overall length gauge is used in conjunction with a modified case to determine where the the bullet contacts the lands. People who have machining skills and a lathe have made their own gauges. The threads for the case are an uncommon type. If you make your own, you can choose a more common thread and die. I have not seen the curved gauge needed for an AR, so I don't know how difficult that would be to make.

Sinclair International used to sell a lead flat topped slug to determine where the threads start. I cannot find it in their online catalog.

Anyone inclined to make their own gauge should google "what threads does a Hornady OAL gauge use?" If a fired case grips the bullet too tight, a dremel cutoff disk and a slice parallel to the case through the neck should solve the problem.

You still need a gauge to measure the OAL of your loaded round. Sinclair sells a "nut" with different sized holes to measure off the ogive of various calibers. I found it had too much wobble to be useful.

fa18hooker

99-9X
    Sep 2, 2008
    Annapolis
    Make your own from some scrap aluminum and a drill index...they're not the most technically advanced tool out there, and it'll cost you nothing...

Beware of Dog
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 16, 2013
    AA Co
    You can get away without the oal gage, just neck size a case a tad loose, partially seat your boolit of choice, chamber it, seat it with the bolt (be sure it is 'loosely' neck sized, so it doesn't drive into the rifling). CAREFULLY remove the now chambered round (I don't prime or charge this round, take it apart when I am done) and measure it.

You really need an accurate way to measure off the ogive of the bullet. That is critical. With this measurement, you now have a 'to the lands' value to work from. Simple, effective.. ;)

Overboost44

6th gear
    MDS Supporter
    Jun 10, 2013
    Kent Island
    I went ahead and bought it. Next time I will give a little more notice for all of the great responses. Oh well, it won't be the first time I spent $30 unnecessarily. The next time someone needs one, just let me know.

The overall length gauge is used in conjunction with a modified case to determine where the the bullet contacts the lands. People who have machining skills and a lathe have made their own gauges. The threads for the case are an uncommon type. If you make your own, you can choose a more common thread and die. I have not seen the curved gauge needed for an AR, so I don't know how difficult that would be to make.
    It's a 5/16-36 tap. You use a 9/32 drill. You don't need a lathe, a drill press works fine for the hole. The tricky part is to keep the case from turning. With trial and error, you can drill out the case with a hand drill -- I've done it.

Make your modified cases from once fired brass, from that gun, not resized.

The tap is available from MSC Supply online.

You use a straight gauge for an AR. You remove the charging handle and bolt. You only need the curved gauge when you can't easily remove the bolt, like on a lever gun.

I use mine whenever I try a new bullet style. It's not a one time check on a gun's chamber.

K31

"Part of that Ultra MAGA Crowd"
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 15, 2006
    AA county
    If you're going to use it, you are going to use the bullet comparator on your calipers each time you set up your seating die. You're also going to use the OAL guage when you change bullets even of the same general shape and weight because as already stated, it's the ogive that counts.

I also would characterize making your own case as "machining". If you find the post by the guy who did it, it takes a drill press, vice, and tap.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    lsmitty67

Latest threads

Top Bottom