• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Storm40

Ultimate Member
    Apr 13, 2009
    Harford County
    Though some of the replies here are indicative, I have yet to hear a cogent, reasonable explanation as to why I should spend a lot on a name brand charging handle or why one might be better than another. Please understand that I dont yet have a complete ar, though I will early next week. Point being that this is a legitimate question and not some sort of trolling.

slybarman

low speed high drag 9-5er
    Feb 10, 2013
    The after market handles are larger and shaped to make them much more easily manipulated. They can be operated with the palm of the hand or between finger and thumb. Some are ambidextrous. They also have stronger roll pins than a standard handle and are less prone to break.

kfrede86

Ultimate Member
    Feb 22, 2010
    St. Marys
    Though some of the replies here are indicative, I have yet to hear a cogent, reasonable explanation as to why I should spend a lot on a name brand charging handle or why one might be better than another. Please understand that I dont yet have a complete ar, though I will early next week. Point being that this is a legitimate question and not some sort of trolling.

If you're building an AR for a range gun and want to go with a basic CH I feel you'd not have to worry about any major malfunction or have any problem with what your using. If you're building an AR to train with, take courses with, perform multiple reloading drills with, and just all around use the crap out of; that's where a quality CH comes into play. It really depends on what you plan to use your rifle for? Personally I started with a basic CH and after taking one class I switched to a different CH. I have a BCM GF and like it but I prefer the PRI Gas Buster. It's all personal preference.

ThawMyTongue

Ultimate Member
    Sep 26, 2009
    Dublin, OH

My thoughts on the matter: http://www.mdshooters.com/showthread.php?t=126706

Storm40

Ultimate Member
    Apr 13, 2009
    Harford County
    mine will see range use almost exclusively. i'm also going for a faux retro homage semi-hemi-demi a1 build, so I got a milspec charging handle to go along ;)

wrc

unexpected T_STRING in
    May 31, 2012
    AACO

The charging handle the OP linked to is likely cheap airsoft junk. That's why it is $11.85 instead of $18-$21. The reviews tell the story. There's no reason to try and save ten bucks on the charging handle. It is a part you don't want to have break at an inconvenient time.

The "brand names" offer features, like sealing against gas blowback or providing a better user experience.

mopar92

Official MDS Court Jester
    May 5, 2011
    Taneytown
    I have a PSA standard mil spec charging handle laying around. Used twice. To check to make sure the chamber was clear and then to remove it.

Also a note on charging handles. The higher priced ones (BCM and Rainer come to mind) are machined to more exacting tolerances and provide a better gas seal on your upper. Only an issue if you plan on shooting a lot supressed and don't want a powder mustache.

Ski169

May 28, 2012
    It's been stated multiple times. For a CH and a BCG, BCM is your best bet. I started with a regular charging handle and have since changed them all to the BCM Gunfighter. Easily manipulated with one hand and much sturdier. I also use BCM BCG in all of my ARs now as well. After I purchased my second one for a build, I noticed that it was dirty from testing just like the first one I bought. I now have a total of five and all of them were dirty from being tested. I feel better knowing that they test them all as opposed to batch testing as was also stated earlier. Plus the fact that they are US made to mil spec is a plus. And they are still on sale for $169. Personally, I feel they were worth every penny as I have more confidence in them.

Last edited:

ObsceneJesster

Ultimate Member
    Jan 31, 2011
    A stock Mil-Spec Charging handle will be completely fine for range use but the one you linked isn't a mil-spec charging handle. I'd imagine it will break with any type of hard use. I switched to the BCM Charging handles after breaking a stock charging handle during a carbine class. We were doing malfunction drills and I ended up bending the nose of one. Luckily it wasn't bent bad enough to where I couldn't remove it but it took some force and felt very gritty on it's way out.

I think I already gave you the reasons why I choose certain BCG's but I can definitely go a lot deeper in explanation if you need me to.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Ababe1120

Latest threads

Top Bottom