• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Flipz

Ultimate Member
    Mar 11, 2010
    When in doubt, attack the messenger, right?

When he's got nothing else going in his favor I guess that's his only option.

Maybe his next argument will be that the blue color of the Dillons let's one load at super duper hypersonic speeds compared to the red color of the Hornadys which only let's one load at standard velocity.

coopermania

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Aug 20, 2011
    Indiana
    I am not arguing with anyone, Much less attacking anyone person. I could care less what products you buy. Maybe you guys will get lucky one day and the rest of the reloading community will be as smart and well educated like you two on what equipment to buy.
    The same answer still applies, 7 out of 10 competitive shooters use Dillon Machines.

Flipz

Ultimate Member
    Mar 11, 2010
    I am not arguing with anyone, Much less attacking anyone person. I could care less what products you buy. Maybe you guys will get lucky one day and the rest of the reloading community will be as smart and well educated like you two on what equipment to buy.
    The same answer still applies, 7 out of 10 competitive shooters use Dillon Machines.
    It absolutely sounds like you're attacking anyone who disagrees with you. Your tone and phrasing makes that very apparent. Obviously I'm not the only one who sees that as others have already mentioned it.

Repeating something multiple times doesn't make it have increased importance. We know many competition shooters use Dillon. No one disputes that. The problem with your argument is that the statistic specifically refers to competition shooters, and they only represent an EXTREMELY small percentage of handloaders. We're talking about a fraction of a percent. Sorry but a fraction of a percent doesn't hold enough weight. It just doesn't.

Magnumite

Ultimate Member
    Dec 17, 2007
    Harford County, Maryland
    A fraction of a percent? I am not siding with coopermania, but I would like to the source of that statistic. See what other interesting info we can uncover.

The flip (no pun intended...lol) side of that is if the percentage of competitive shooters using Dillons is so high, and their ammunition output is higher than the other 99+ percent (as quoted) then wouldn't it stand to reason the machines are that good. If there is a piece of equipment, ammo or firearm that is not reliable, capable and maintains contemporary capability it will get dropped in the competitive arena fast. Not saying the other presses are not good but the Dillon is still the go piece if you must have good ammo ready.

Just sayin...

Flipz

Ultimate Member
    Mar 11, 2010
    A fraction of a percent? I am not siding with coopermania, but I would like to the source of that statistic. See what other interesting info we can uncover.

The flip (no pun intended...lol) side of that is if the percentage of competitive shooters using Dillons is so high, and their ammunition output is higher than the other 99+ percent (as quoted) then wouldn't it stand to reason the machines are that good. If there is a piece of equipment, ammo or firearm that is not reliable, capable and maintains contemporary capability it will get dropped in the competitive arena fast. Not saying the other presses are not good but the Dillon is still the go piece if you must have good ammo ready.

Just sayin...

You don't think the number of competition shooters is a fraction of a percent of all the people that reload? There are many more reloaders who don't take part in competitions than the ones that do. I'd bet the figures are less than 1 out of 100 actually compete. That would be a fraction of a percent. I have no statistical data. But it's a fair educated guess.

There is no doubt that Dillon's are great presses. I don't think anyone is saying they're not. What I'm saying is that Hornady LNL's are great presses too. That's all.

I think its also fair to reason that people do stick with what they know. And Dillon has been a top name for reloading presses and accessories for a long time. But, until the LNL AP came around there really wasn't much competition for the 550B or 650. But now, it would be hard to say that Hornady hasn't developed their own following for a good reason and is actually competition for Dillon. The LNL pumps out ammo of equal quality and quantity as the 550B or 650. Both presses offer their user the best that is available. It really comes down to which features you like better.

DocSavage

The Man of Bronze
    May 30, 2012
    Crofton
    Ok. Listening to all the various opinions, one can infer that they are indeed as common as one would expect. That said...

I'm one who researches EVERYTHING... During this research I gave myself several parameters, none of which was money when choosing my press. Everyone I asked at the FD who reloads stressed the learning of the process, and to that end a single stage press is ideal. One stroke, one function until all are done, then change dies for the next process. Many folks here maintain a single stage press for their super accurate loads... No one will argue that this is the way to learn the most. (Those were the LEE presses)

For many shooters this is just fine. You learn, work a load for your desired firearm and fine tune the hell out of it to the "nth" degree, making it perform exactly as you wish - the real goal of any reloader.

You will get to a point where this isn't enough, and you desire a bit more speed and volume, generating a couple hundred rounds in a given session. (I just came off of 250 rds of 45ACP - 230 gn RN over 7.0gn PP)

Everyone here has given different opinions on what to buy... With the real meat of the issue similar to a Chevy vs Ford vs Dodge vs Toyota debate. Truly that's all it is... Each press system has Pros and Cons important to each of us for our own reasons. Personally, I'll never buy Dillon - on the one hand it is my Ex's name, but on the other hand, getting the hang of the change outs was something I couldn't wrap my head around... I even went to X-Ring to try before I buy(ed)...

They all accomplish the same task, so getting down to the nitty gritty, we look to customer service. My Hornady LnL AP press has had a few issues - ALL of which I CAUSED by forcing something (broke a pawl, bent a primer drop tube, and stuck powder measure) and Hornady was amazing in their advice and sending FREE replacements, OVERNIGHT! I've called and spoken to their Tech Guys - who all reload and spent plenty of time hammering out issues (once a tough issue with 300BLK resizing from .223 cases, easy fix once I changed the shoulder length).

So at the end of all this rambling, I can say this, buy what YOU understand. You are creating these rounds and if the process is one that makes sense to YOU, then go for it! I have plenty of Dillon stuff (Super Swager for example) that Hornady doesn't make, (even an RCBS deburring and chamfer tool) but the ease of change over is really second to none in my Hornady LnL.

I'd be willing to have you come over and try it out and see for yourself, I load 9, 45, 5.56, 300BLK, Garand, and .308... All of which are swapped in minutes by changing primer assemblies, dies, and a shell plate...

In all cases, the ONLY place to go for accessories for any press is Inline Fabrication. Dan makes handles, stands, LED light kits and various stuffs to make reloading a real pleasure!

Also, don't forget about investing in a second powder measure. I'll be honest and say that my Hornady LnL doesn't really care for extruded powders. I have to take my time and crunch through them, weighing every 5th, so it's not impossible - just inconvenient.

I've attached a couple of links for you to check out, PM me if you would like to knock out a few rounds to see how it all works...

Hornady Series on the LnL AP press...
    http://youtu.be/-8rRDz6fXbo

Inline Fabrication
    http://inlinefabrication.com/

Some of mine...
    http://youtu.be/nmjkfaPNhrg
    http://youtu.be/yHdtWz0PZTs

Hope this all helps... Please reach out to any of us for any questions, none are stupid - remember that!!

Cheers,

Doc Savage

Flipz

Ultimate Member
    Mar 11, 2010
    Ok. Listening to all the various opinions, one can infer that they are indeed as common as one would expect. That said...

I'm one who researches EVERYTHING... During this research I gave myself several parameters, none of which was money when choosing my press. Everyone I asked at the FD who reloads stressed the learning of the process, and to that end a single stage press is ideal. One stroke, one function until all are done, then change dies for the next process. Many folks here maintain a single stage press for their super accurate loads... No one will argue that this is the way to learn the most. (Those were the LEE presses)

For many shooters this is just fine. You learn, work a load for your desired firearm and fine tune the hell out of it to the "nth" degree, making it perform exactly as you wish - the real goal of any reloader.

You will get to a point where this isn't enough, and you desire a bit more speed and volume, generating a couple hundred rounds in a given session. (I just came off of 250 rds of 45ACP - 230 gn RN over 7.0gn PP)

Everyone here has given different opinions on what to buy... With the real meat of the issue similar to a Chevy vs Ford vs Dodge vs Toyota debate. Truly that's all it is... Each press system has Pros and Cons important to each of us for our own reasons. Personally, I'll never buy Dillon - on the one hand it is my Ex's name, but on the other hand, getting the hang of the change outs was something I couldn't wrap my head around... I even went to X-Ring to try before I buy(ed)...

They all accomplish the same task, so getting down to the nitty gritty, we look to customer service. My Hornady LnL AP press has had a few issues - ALL of which I CAUSED by forcing something (broke a pawl, bent a primer drop tube, and stuck powder measure) and Hornady was amazing in their advice and sending FREE replacements, OVERNIGHT! I've called and spoken to their Tech Guys - who all reload and spent plenty of time hammering out issues (once a tough issue with 300BLK resizing from .223 cases, easy fix once I changed the shoulder length).

So at the end of all this rambling, I can say this, buy what YOU understand. You are creating these rounds and if the process is one that makes sense to YOU, then go for it! I have plenty of Dillon stuff (Super Swager for example) that Hornady doesn't make, (even an RCBS deburring and chamfer tool) but the ease of change over is really second to none in my Hornady LnL.

I'd be willing to have you come over and try it out and see for yourself, I load 9, 45, 5.56, 300BLK, Garand, and .308... All of which are swapped in minutes by changing primer assemblies, dies, and a shell plate...

In all cases, the ONLY place to go for accessories for any press is Inline Fabrication. Dan makes handles, stands, LED light kits and various stuffs to make reloading a real pleasure!

Also, don't forget about investing in a second powder measure. I'll be honest and say that my Hornady LnL doesn't really care for extruded powders. I have to take my time and crunch through them, weighing every 5th, so it's not impossible - just inconvenient.

I've attached a couple of links for you to check out, PM me if you would like to knock out a few rounds to see how it all works...

Hornady Series on the LnL AP press...
    http://youtu.be/-8rRDz6fXbo

Inline Fabrication
    http://inlinefabrication.com/

Some of mine...
    http://youtu.be/nmjkfaPNhrg
    http://youtu.be/yHdtWz0PZTs

Hope this all helps... Please reach out to any of us for any questions, none are stupid - remember that!!

Cheers,

Doc Savage

I definitely agree with the Hornady powder measure not liking extruded powders. Ball or flake type powders work extremely well and metering is very consistent. But extruded, forget about it. That said, no ones automatic powder dispenser works perfectly with extruded powders. Luckily nothing I load uses extruded powder. For .223 I use H335, 9mm Titegroup, 45acp W231, and 300blk 1680. All meter perfectly. For extruded, the best option is still a trickler.

Having an extra powder measure makes things super easy. But even just having extra powder meters helps too. You can leave them setup for a specific caliber's charge weight and just switch them out with the push of a button. Having extra powder measure dies serves the same purpose for having a preset for specific calibers. Makes caliber conversions fast and easy.

I have one of Inline's LED kits and love it. Lights up my shellplate and lets me get a perfect visual of powder charges. I wrote up a review on here when I got it a while back. Looks like Hornady caught on and now have their own LED kit, lol.

dreadpirate

Ultimate Member
    Mar 7, 2010
    Cuba on the Chesapeake
    Ok - you guys talk about statistics. The survey posted previously is interesting - but all it really says to me is that Dillon has the best reputation among those surveyed. How many of those surveyed actually tried several different presses? What would be telling to me is a survey of shooters who have tried different setups - the Dillon being one of them - and then prefer the Dillon ahead of the other other choices.

I am most interested in the posters in this thread that have used several different setups and have decided that they like "brand X".

coopermania

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Aug 20, 2011
    Indiana
    It absolutely sounds like you're attacking anyone who disagrees with you. Your tone and phrasing makes that very apparent. Obviously I'm not the only one who sees that as others have already mentioned it.

That's laughable that you can read my tone but what I write here, I did not call you anything ugly or use sentences full of caps nor use lots of exclamation points.... When reading email or on forums some advice is don't read anything into it just because that's what you think is there. Because most of the time there is nothing there more than that persons opinion.

Flipz

Ultimate Member
    Mar 11, 2010
    Ok - you guys talk about statistics. The survey posted previously is interesting - but all it really says to me is that Dillon has the best reputation among those surveyed. How many of those surveyed actually tried several different presses? What would be telling to me is a survey of shooters who have tried different setups - the Dillon being one of them - and then prefer the Dillon ahead of the other other choices.

I am most interested in the posters in this thread that have used several different setups and have decided that they like "brand X".

I first tried a Dillon SDB. It worked ok but was limited in the calibers that it could load (straight walled pistol only) and caliber conversions were a pain. Then I tried loading on a friend's 550B for a while and didn't like loading cases on the right side. That really bugged me. After every pull you have to take your right hand off the handle and feed a case. With your left hand you have to index the press manually and then load a bullet. It just felt way too busy.

That's when I started looking at the LNL, and I haven't looked back since. I much prefer loading cases on the left side. Your right arm can stay on the handle, the shellplate auto indexes, and your left hand loads a case and then a bullet. It was just way more fluid. At least to me. A case feeder is next on my list and should speed things up even more as the only thing I'll need to do is place the bullet. Caliber conversions are cheaper, easier, and faster. Case feeders and bullet feeders are available and work well. IMO it equals the capability of the 650 for less money, works just as well, and has an equal warranty.

coopermania

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Aug 20, 2011
    Indiana

I own several different presses. I still have my first press I bought in the middle 70s, A RCBS Rockchucker. My kid for fathers day last year gave me a RCBS partner Press to use just for forming cases on, I have a old Redding Turret that was my Grandfathers. For a short period of time I owned a RCBS Green Machine in 38 Special. I bought my first Dillon ( A 450.) Around 1981 or 82 and I still use it. Next I bought a 550 and later a 650. I still own and use all of the machines I have except the Redding Turret. My father has a Dillon 450 and all the other shooters that I know use Dillon Machines except 2 and they swear by Lee progressive machines.
    When I bought my Dillons there were no machines on the market that could compete with a Dillon. Is there now some machines on the market now that can compete ???
    I my opinion no. I am not brainwashed by the color blue,, I have used there machines for over 30 years and they still work like they are new. I would suggest that you looking how long parts are going to be available for whatever press you buy. See if RCBS , Lyman, Redding, Hornady or Lee still sells parts and does service on there progressive presses from 35 years ago.
    Dillon does...

Flipz

Ultimate Member
    Mar 11, 2010
    That's laughable that you can read my tone but what I write here, I did not call you anything ugly or use sentences full of caps nor use lots of exclamation points.... When reading email or on forums some advice is don't read anything into it just because that's what you think is there. Because most of the time there is nothing there more than that persons opinion.
    "I think its laughable that you think...."

For a second time you are saying that what I think is laughable. Sets a tone you might say.

Furthermore, you've already seen that others have mentioned the same thing. You come off as attacking those who disagree with you. If multiple people are saying the same thing...... well, you put 2+2 together. If it wasn't your intent that's fine. But if we're all seeing the same thing how can you blame us for having that opinion?

coopermania

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Aug 20, 2011
    Indiana
    I'm laughing,,, hahahahhaahahahhhaahahaahhhaahahahhaahhhaahahahahahahahahahahahhhahahhhahhahhhhhahahahahahahhhhaahhhhahhaahhhhhhahaaahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhaahahahahahahahahahahahahaahhahahahhha

Flipz

Ultimate Member
    Mar 11, 2010
    I'm laughing,,, hahahahhaahahahhhaahahaahhhaahahahhaahhhaahahahahahahahahahahahhhahahhhahhahhhhhahahahahahahhhhaahhhhahhaahhhhhhahaaahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhaahahahahahahahahahahahahaahhahahahhha

Gee, couldn't see that one coming :rolleyes:. Thanks for proving my point.

dreadpirate

Ultimate Member
    Mar 7, 2010
    Cuba on the Chesapeake
    I really appreciate all of the time and energy spent on providing info here. You guys are very passionate about your shooting! Still not 100% sure which setup I am going to get. But I am definitely going to spend the money to get a quality progressive press; you guys have talked me into that.

DocSavage

The Man of Bronze
    May 30, 2012
    Crofton
    I really appreciate all of the time and energy spent on providing info here. You guys are very passionate about your shooting! Still not 100% sure which setup I am going to get. But I am definitely going to spend the money to get a quality progressive press; you guys have talked me into that.

Like I said, let me know your availability and I will set some time and we can load a few. No matter your purchase, to know in reality and put your hands on a press, will make your decision easier!

Cheers,

Doc Savage

coopermania

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Aug 20, 2011
    Indiana
    LOL, relax son , Everything I write you assume that I am attacking you. Your taking everything that is my opinion and using it in a context that is wrong. I can be a prick but its just the internet.
    Its just a shooting sports forum on the internet. I don't agree with two of you on the tread. Don't take things so personal. Its just the internet......
    Now take a big breath and click you heels together three times, and pray,

Oh lord, Oh lord, If I pray with all my might and you are willing,
    I will wake up in the morning and my Red machine, will be a Dillon.

Flipz

Ultimate Member
    Mar 11, 2010
    LOL, relax son , Everything I write you assume that I am attacking you. Your taking everything that is my opinion and using it in a context that is wrong. I can be a prick but its just the internet.
    Its just a shooting sports forum on the internet. I don't agree with two of you on the tread. Don't take things so personal. Its just the internet......
    Now take a big breath and click you heels together three times, and pray,

Oh lord, Oh lord, If I pray with all my might and you are willing,
    I will wake up in the morning and my Red machine, will be a Dillon.
    Finally we agree on something. And don't call me son, it's insulting. That said, I'm done.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    bapple

Latest threads

Top Bottom