• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • brianong18

Nobody
    Jul 11, 2011
    Pasadena, MD
    I have had my AGC range badge for half a year now but haven't had a chance to go shoot yet because of various schedule restraints and general laziness. :D I'm going to shoot at AGC tom. since I have to sight in my AK (if you can call it that with an AK :lol2:) for a tactical pistol and carbine class I have this weekend. I have been procrastinating to build my target stand for a long time. Finally built one today.

One of my issues with building a target stand is that the vehicles I drive have tiny trunk room and no folding rear seat. Here is what I came up with. It's the best I could do within reasonable size and cost with no woodworking or design experience. The wood frame pieces fold in half into 2 40" sections with hinges. They are held in place with a locking hook and eyelet. I got the idea for the PVC stand from jac43k. The PVC pipe stand is modular in width. Just change the center pipe for varying stand widths. I decided to go with 12" and 18". Remove the center pipe to take up less space when transporting. Finishing everything off with some spiral stakes and some rope to secure everything down in case of strong winds. I took trunk measurements of my Evo X and Mustang 5.0 before starting the project. Everything should fit in either trunk nicely and still have room for my gear.

Attachments

• DSCN0816.jpg
      DSCN0816.jpg
      123.3 KB · Views: 390
    • DSCN0813.jpg
      DSCN0813.jpg
      84.7 KB · Views: 381
    • DSCN0814.jpg
      DSCN0814.jpg
      55.6 KB · Views: 383

Alan3413

Ultimate Member
    Mar 4, 2013
    Nicely done! Looks like some neat handiwork.

My only comment would be that the metal hardware might get a thumbs down from the RSOs because of ricochet concerns, even though they're mounted sideways.

DanJo

Mar 4, 2010
    Western Howard County
    I can see your point on the ricochet issue, but the exposed hardware shouldn't be a problem as the collapsible target frames that the AGC sells at the range house have wing nuts sticking out the side, and they are certainly allowed.

brianong18

Nobody
    Jul 11, 2011
    Pasadena, MD
    Also, if I was hitting low enough to hit the metal hardware I am probably also hitting below the berm which is frowned upon in this establishment anyways. I can also position it so the metal is on the sides and harder to hit just in case.

HoCoShooter

Ultimate Member
    Feb 25, 2009
    Howard County
    looks good and good call on the spikes. I just bought a few of the 10" spikes at home depot for like 75 cents each or something. I doubt you'll need rope.

brianong18

Nobody
    Jul 11, 2011
    Pasadena, MD
    looks good and good call on the spikes. I just bought a few of the 10" spikes at home depot for like 75 cents each or something. I doubt you'll need rope.

So the straight spikes worked fine? I got the spiral spikes that screw in to the ground. Might be a little overkill. Lol.

HoCoShooter

Ultimate Member
    Feb 25, 2009
    Howard County
    Yeah - as long as you have something to hammer them in with if the ground is tough. My stapler works fine or a rock.

Also before you push the spikes in, remember that there are electric lines running under a couple of the middle lanes on the pistol range. There's a big sign telling you where.

JBinDC

Ultimate Member
    Aug 29, 2012
    MoCo - Silver Spring
    Old post but just wanted to say thanks to brianong18 for the modular breakdown stand idea! Just got my AGC Badge and will be implementing this hinge & springer eyelet idea into my stand fer sure!

Also want to say that you suck for having both a Stang and an Evo! J/K

I used to have a 94 GT (GT40 top end converted), and a Galant VR4 (Big 16G & supporting mods), and I exchanged those for 2 kids!

brianong18

Nobody
    Jul 11, 2011
    Pasadena, MD
    Glad I could help someone out. Oh, don't worry about the spikes. Last time I went, they lent me sandbags when it was windy out.

I'm trying to get my toys out of the way before I get married and have kids. Sucks you had to get rid of your GT and VR4.

JBinDC

Ultimate Member
    Aug 29, 2012
    MoCo - Silver Spring
    Glad I could help someone out. Oh, don't worry about the spikes. Last time I went, they lent me sandbags when it was windy out.

I'm trying to get my toys out of the way before I get married and have kids. Sucks you had to get rid of your GT and VR4.

DUDE - BUY ALL YOUR TOYS BEFORE BUYING ANY GIRL HER RING! :) Seriously though, once you have kids, you'll end up spending more on them than you ever would on yerself, so yes, do please buy all your toys beforehand! You'll get a lot less flack fo sho!

On the sandbagging, I actually was thinking about maybe epoxying some kinda ballast inside some of the lengths of pipe. Saw some target stands blow down when a storm rolled in during my orientation.

Thanks again!

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    christian04

Latest threads

Top Bottom