• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • gregaarms

Machinist Junkie
    Feb 18, 2013
    Calvert County
    Has anyone used any A5744 powder in their .300 Blackout loads? I have everything to start loading 300 except the powder. The only thing I have been able to find is Accurate A5744 lately. :sad20:

I will be using converted LC brass, CCI 400 or 41 Primers, and Sierra SPT Pro-Hunter 150gr & Nosler Ballistic Tip 150gr pills.

I'm primarily using these for punching holes in paper @ 100yds. The Sierra load manual has a load for 16.2-17.4gr of A5744 for 150-155gr projectiles.

Should I try it ... or should I wait to find some of the more popular powders like H110, Lil' Gun, Win296, or IMR4227? :shrug:

navyis2

im a grown ass man
    Oct 10, 2013
    Lexington, KY
    sorry just realized you mentioned the sierra manual. THeir test were done in actual guns instead of just test barrels, so i would say give it a try. The velocity was pretty limited but if you are just punching holes at 100 yards i doubt you will mind, plus it'll keep that brass in good shape.

Beware of Dog
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 16, 2013
    AA Co
    A1680 is magic for subs unsuppressed, but many are using 5744 for subs with a suppressor. If you are loading supersonic loads, there are a bunch of options and 5744 should work fine. What gun are you running it in? (barrel/gas length?)

gregaarms

Machinist Junkie
    Feb 18, 2013
    Calvert County
    sorry just realized you mentioned the sierra manual. THeir test were done in actual guns instead of just test barrels, so i would say give it a try. The velocity was pretty limited but if you are just punching holes at 100 yards i doubt you will mind, plus it'll keep that brass in good shape.

The sierra manual stated that the firearm used was a CMMG AR so that made me feel better.

I think DocSavage on this forum is using 5744 powder for 300 Blackout. See if he picks up.
    DocAitch

Will do! :thumbsup:

A1680 is magic for subs unsuppressed, but many are using 5744 for subs with a suppressor. If you are loading supersonic loads, there are a bunch of options and 5744 should work fine. What gun are you running it in? (barrel/gas length?)

I'm not really looking for subsonic or suppressed loads (in the future yes but not right now.) I just want something to accomplish good groups at 100yds and just have some fun with it on the range without spending a crap ton of money on ammo.

Its an AR-15 with a 16" barrel, 1:7 twist, and carbine length.

Winterborn

Moved to Texas
    Aug 19, 2010
    Arlington, TX
    Has anyone used any A5744 powder in their .300 Blackout loads? I have everything to start loading 300 except the powder. The only thing I have been able to find is Accurate A5744 lately. :sad20:

I will be using converted LC brass, CCI 400 or 41 Primers, and Sierra SPT Pro-Hunter 150gr & Nosler Ballistic Tip 150gr pills.

I'm primarily using these for punching holes in paper @ 100yds. The Sierra load manual has a load for 16.2-17.4gr of A5744 for 150-155gr projectiles.

Should I try it ... or should I wait to find some of the more popular powders like H110, Lil' Gun, Win296, or IMR4227? :shrug:

As long as you have published reputable data, no reason not to try it. Good luck!

gregaarms

Machinist Junkie
    Feb 18, 2013
    Calvert County
    As long as you have published reputable data, no reason not to try it. Good luck!

Thanks! My luck hasn't been to good lately so hopefully I wont blow myself up in the process :lol2:

The powder should be showing up from UPS the middle of next week. After I get a series of loads made up and tested I will post my results.:D

DocSavage

The Man of Bronze
    May 30, 2012
    Crofton
    Greg,

Got your PM, DocAitch is right, 5744 is my favorite powder for my 300BLK sub rounds. Pfft-pfft-pfft-pfft... Meters well and runs clean in my Noveske SBR, both canned and not.

That said, my set up is a 10.2" w/ a pistol length tube to maximize gas use. Not sure how my shorty would run at carbine length, if even possible. Hornady's 9th starts the use of 5744 at 125gn bullets but skips 150s. Lyman, Nosler, and Sierra don't list a recipe for it at all.

My best subs run 208gn A-MAXs on top of 10.2gn of 5744. Sweet shooting, cycles every time and locks back no sweat! Clean up is a breeze with FIREClean...

There are many other options for powders, WIN296, LilGun, H110, A#9, A1680, to name a few. If you want to try some WIN296, I'll swap a pound for pound. Let me know! Don't get discouraged, look online using manufacturer's data for your given caliber and bullet weight, there's bound to be something out there... I'm experimenting with 4198 under my 208s next, only three recipes I found were on Hogdon's new data site (weird layout indeed) so I printed and started working one... We'll see!

Keep an ear to the ground for powders by calling local purveyors. There's always BP (super busy on weekends), MarylandReloadR, Hafer's, and Shyda's. X-Ring is cool too, if you don't mind driving to DE.

Welcome to reloading 300BLK, where you'll rarely find what you're looking for, and when you do - it's like the POWERBALL JACKPOT!!! Develop a network here and always lend a hand, you'll need one too from time to time!

Best of luck and let me know what I can do for you!

Doc

gregaarms

Machinist Junkie
    Feb 18, 2013
    Calvert County
    Thanks for all the info DocSavage!! :party29: I will take you up on that offer for swapping some A5447 for WIN296! I'll PM you when the powder comes in and we can figure out where and when to meet up .

It felt like I hit the Powerball Jackpot this morning when I found some H110 and IMR4227.:D

BTW: I'm Interested in your 4198 experiment...let me know how that goes. I use that powder for some of my .223 loads.

Thanks Again Doc!!

woodieguthrie

Nov 11, 2014
    5744 and 300 Blackout

I've had good luck with the CMMG upper using 18.5 grains 5744, Sierra 2121 125g HP flat base, and CCI small pistol primers. I load to 2.225 in LOA. I worked up to this load carefully and never went beyond 18.5 grains when I got 1.5 MOA.

I bought quanity 5744 during the panic. There seemed to be a lot of it around.

Alternate bullet is Barnes TSX 130g Boattail loaded with 18.5 grains of Accurate 5744 and CCI small pistol primers. LOA 2.110. Similar results at 1.5 to 2.0 MOA. I plan to hunt with this round although some have reported problems with expansion at the velocities produced with this powder charge.

I'm considering Barnes 110g M/LE TAC/TX Flat Base because it is reported to have better expansion characteristics. I can't seem to find a load for 5744 so I may have to switch to H110.

Klunatic

Ultimate Member
    Feb 28, 2011
    Montgomery Cty
    I've had good luck with the CMMG upper using 18.5 grains 5744, Sierra 2121 125g HP flat base, and CCI small pistol primers. I load to 2.225 in LOA. I worked up to this load carefully and never went beyond 18.5 grains when I got 1.5 MOA.

I bought quanity 5744 during the panic. There seemed to be a lot of it around.

Alternate bullet is Barnes TSX 130g Boattail loaded with 18.5 grains of Accurate 5744 and CCI small pistol primers. LOA 2.110. Similar results at 1.5 to 2.0 MOA. I plan to hunt with this round although some have reported problems with expansion at the velocities produced with this powder charge.

I'm considering Barnes 110g M/LE TAC/TX Flat Base because it is reported to have better expansion characteristics. I can't seem to find a load for 5744 so I may have to switch to H110.

I shoot the Barnes 130g TTSX with 17.4gr Lil'Gun and get about 2000fps out of a 12.2 barrel. Haven't had any issues with expansion, quiet a devastating combo on deer and hogs.

Marauder

Revolver Addict
    Dec 14, 2010
    I've done some reloading and am concidering getting into 300blk. I've used Vihtavuori N120, N130, N133 and N140 for other rounds. Would any of them be potentials for 300blk?

Hornady manual has N120 loads listed for 150gr bullets and heavier.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Rotorboater

Latest threads

Top Bottom