Smith and Wesson M&P 9 is it a good gun??

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • mbz300sdl_GF

Nov 13, 2013
    Hagerstown
    Smith and Wesson m&p 9 thinking of getting one. Is it a good hand gun? I really like the way it fits in my hand

BradMacc82

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Aug 17, 2011
    Yes.

The trigger is rather ho-hum (to put it gently) when brand new, but those are easily rectified by some Apex Tactical goodies.

I've got 2 M&P's and love them.

All that really matters is that YOU like it. Try and run some rounds thru one at a range to see if you like the way it handles.

Johnthetoolguy

Ultimate Member
    Feb 4, 2009
    Pasadena
    I have an M&P 9 and liked it so much I went and bought an M&P in 22 when they came out. Since then I bought an M&P in 45. All great pistols. Not had one problem from any of them.

Mike H

Jan 9, 2013
    I have one and like it a lot. It just really fits my hand well. Some have complained about the trigger but I haven't had any issues with mine -- it doesn't feel any different than my FNS or XDM.

JCKnauer22

Feb 7, 2013
    Middle River
    i love em! i got a M&P40 that way i can drop in an aftermarket conversion barrel and shoot 9 out of it as well. i was going to just get the M&P9, but this way i have a bit of versatility. regardless of which way you go, it's a great choice.

ShoreShooter

Ultimate Member
    Feb 27, 2013
    Not to pour vinegar on your cornflakes, but the M&P 9mm was my first 9mm. I shot one in advance of buying one. The more I fired it the less I liked it. I sold it within 6 months.

My Sig P229 cost almost twice as much, but is 4 times better. Its a real keeper. Better grip, more accurate (for me), better trigger, better balance, and better built.

INMY01TA

Ultimate Member
    Dec 29, 2008
    My 4 year old M&P9c is a great pistol but the trigger on my new M&P9 fullsize is terrible. Very gritty with long pre-travel and a heavy break. Looks like I'll be getting an Apex trigger kit for it.

mtb

May 24, 2011
    I didn't like my M&P 9 until I added the Apex DAK trigger kit. I like it now. I own several other handguns (SIG, CZ, etc) but my go-to carry guns are both M&Ps.

Magnumite

Ultimate Member
    Dec 17, 2007
    Harford County, Maryland
    I ordered a 5" Pro 9 and couldn't wait to get it. I like S&W products, good guns. The Pro 9 was delivered. I shot it and really investigated it. Love the way it tracks from shot to shot, even for a Tupperware gun. But the engineers still have some homework to do. It is a good gun but not a great gun. It is an in close, large target, practical pistol as produced.

RobMoore

The Mad Scientist
    Feb 10, 2007
    QA
    Mine has a Dan Burwell trigger job. It has won me some trophies. It is also my daily carry gun until I get a shield.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Sarca

Latest threads

Top Bottom