• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Infosec Guy

Sep 20, 2009
    Columbia MD
    Ok, so our hot water tank went out this weekend. After waiting well over 24 hours for Michael and Sons (we stupidly signed a home maintenance contract with them right after we bought the house) to show up, we've been quoted an ABSOLUTELY INSANE price to replace a 50 gallon gas hot water tank.

If you are a licensed plumber, and have experience with tankless water heaters, please please PLEASE message me as soon as you see this. I don't want to go more than a week without hot water.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

MaxVO2

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Ok, so our hot water tank went out this weekend. After waiting well over 24 hours for Michael and Sons (we stupidly signed a home maintenance contract with them right after we bought the house) to show up, we've been quoted an ABSOLUTELY INSANE price to replace a 50 gallon gas hot water tank.

If you are a licensed plumber, and have experience with tankless water heaters, please please PLEASE message me as soon as you see this. I don't want to go more than a week without hot water.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

****Just out of curiosity, about how much was your quote as I have to replace the water heater in my home (gas unit..) and the sticker on the current heater says "Michael and Sons" ...:shocking:

Zibner

Aug 15, 2013
    Lexington Park Md
    Just by there nature tankless water heaters are more repairable than standard heaters. If yours went out and it's not leaking water it should be repairable.

When I bought this house the heater would not work, was quoted a price of $500 to fix it, that did not go over we'll with the wife. Looking at you tube I isolated the problem found a supplier and got the part under warranty. Did not cost me a dime. Look up your tank less on you tube and you will find a video to walk you through it.

Infosec Guy

Sep 20, 2009
    Columbia MD
    This is the quote in question:

$ 144.14 - Alum Water Heater Pan w/Install of Water Heater
    $ 234.00 - Water Heater Expansion Tank W/Install of New Heater
    $ 337.52 - 3/4" Ball Valve
    $1,349.65 - 50 Gal Gas Water Heater
    $ 175.00 - Plumbing Appliance Gas Permit
    =======
    $2,240.31

Now, to compare:
    $ 21.00 - Water Tank Drip Pan, Lowes
    $ 50.00 - Utilitech 5-gal expansion tank, Lowes
    $ 20.00 - 3/4" Ball Valve, Lowes (Most expensive option)
    $698.00 - Whirlpool 50 Gallon tank, Lowes
    ======
    $789.00 - Realistic pricing.

Now, obviously there's going to be a bit of difference for labor, additional copper, etc. But $1,400 worth? I think not.

Here's the worst part: Thanks to my sticker shock, I immediately said "I'll think about it." As we've sought out other plumbers today, I've also Googled the potential issue, and it may cost as little as $12 in parts to repair.

SO! If anyone has an honest plumber they'd like to recommend, now's your chance!

Punch84

Mar 29, 2009
    Carroll County
    BGE Home did mine in 2011. 40 gallon gas Rheem with 12 year warranty, expansion tank, and drip pan. $949.00 installed included taking old unit away. Called and ordered over the phone. Had to give them dimensions of existing unit along with pipe sizes. Was offered several options on size and pricing. They were out the following day. They will charge additional $40-$50 if ball valve is not on the incoming line. BGE Home has no affiliation with BGE gas/ electric.

Infosec Guy

Sep 20, 2009
    Columbia MD
    BGE Home quoted me $4300 and 2-4 weeks to complete a tankless installation. However, if I wanted to stay with the current design, I could upgrade from a 40 to a 75 gallon tank for just under $2K.

tindraz

Oct 25, 2012
    Forest Hill
    go tankless

Just like anything else in life, you get what you pay for. Spend some extra coin and get a Rinnai tankless.

For the guy posting prices from Lowes for the material. Any good plumber will tell you that most times the materials you get at depot or lowes is junk compared to a plumbing supply house.

Tman68

Jul 25, 2012
    Harford Co
    The water heater at lowes can't be compared to a Bradford white, rheem, or any other contractor grade water heater.

Punch84

Mar 29, 2009
    Carroll County
    Just letting him know he does not have to be a BGE customer. Some people would/ may not know this and blow it off as not an option. Simple as that.

hvymax

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Apr 19, 2010
    Dentsville District 28
    Damn. I swapped mine out in an evening. Came home and the damp insulation shorted out the switch. I went to lowes and picked up the biggest newest model they had and two couplings. I shut off the water and drained the tank. cut the lines and disconnected the wires.slid the new one into place, screwed in and trimmed the lines, reconnected the wires and was done. Mine is electric but yours should have a convenient gas cutoff. You may or may not have to swap a piece of pipe or two bet just slather them in teflon paste and tighten.

vin

Ultimate Member
    Mar 19, 2009
    Bowie, MD
    There isn't much that can go wrong with a gas water heater other than rusting through and leaking.

I've had issues with gas furnaces that have been very easy to fix, and a water heater is very similar, only without complicated electronics.

It's worth checking the thermocouple. It's the sensor that is online or adjacent to the pilot light, if they become fouled with carbon, they become insulated, don't heat to the proper temperature (that tells the unit the pilot is lit and is ok to supply gas- prevents dumping has into your house) and shuts off the gas.

If you can go through the pilot light process (not if it's electric start) and get fire until you let go of the thermocouple bypass button, clean and recheck, or replace the thermocouple if needed.

If its electric ignition and you are getting no spark, you'll need to investigate the electronics. Shouldn't be costly to get parts for- for reference, I replaced the circuit board on my furnace for $75.

Appliances are not as complicated as most people think, I've worked on my own washing machines, dishwashers, furnaces, water heaters, and dryers. Ain't no big deal.

MEGALUG

Aug 13, 2009
    Harford County
    Pm'd.

Thanks elite

I just completed a tankless install today.
    $3000.00 for an eternal tankless with a fifteen year warranty. Removed existing, upsized gas line, mounted on wall, piped water, gas and condensate, new intake and exhaust through the roof. Done in a day.

Average price to replace op's heater with code upgrades in no way should exceed $1000.00

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Skarface

Latest threads

Top Bottom