• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Infantry23

Ultimate Member
    Dec 9, 2012
    Hagerstown
    I'm new to reloading and trying to figure out of the primer pocket swager tool is a "must have." If it is, is there any place locally to get one? Thanks!

Patriot

Dec 31, 2011
    Harford co.
    If you are planning on using military brass the crimp must be removed from the primer pocket. Many people claim the swagger tools are the easy/only way to go but I have found that a chamfer tool or 60° countersink used to cut the crimp away works well for me. You have to be careful to only cut away the crimp and not to bore out the primer pocket or cut away at the base of the case compromising its strength.

Deep Creek Rock

.._. .._ _._. _._ .._
    You can buy a swaging die - I have the RCBS one, that has swaged many thousands of 5.56 cases, as well as other calibers that have crimped in primers. It comes with a swaging rod for both large, and small primer pockets. You just need read the instructions carefully, and understand them, or you may end up bending the swaging rod. RCBS will give you another one if you do. Knock on wood - I have not bent the swaging rod on mine.

You can also buy a bench mount model. RCBS, makes one similar to the Dillon Super Swager -for less cost, and will have a lifetime warranty on it as well.

319662.jpg

Last edited:

Infantry23

Ultimate Member
    Dec 9, 2012
    Hagerstown
    Great info as always, guys! However... am I understanding correctly that this is only needed for 5.56? Or is it any mil-spec round?

I have a bunch of .223 at my disposal. Will I need the die for that too?

Deep Creek Rock

.._. .._ _._. _._ .._
    Great info as always, guys! However... am I understanding correctly that this is only needed for 5.56? Or is it any mil-spec round?

Usally it is for 5.56 brass,although you may find some .223 that have crimps. There are a few style crimps you'll see. If you look at the primer pocket, with primer still intact, sometimes you'll see a ring around the primer, on the actual brass. Its a circular style crimp. Other times, it may be multiple detents around the primer.

The RCBS swaging die will swage all brass with the exception of 50BMG, since they take a completly different sized primer. It comes with 2 size swaging heads, & rods. It will do pistol brass as well, and you sometimes do run into 9mm, and 45ACP Mil brass that have crimped in primers- for use in full auto. You also run into 308's that will need swaged, and that die will swage those.

If you end up buying the RCBS swaging die -the swaging heads can be used as a "go" or "no go" tool.

If the primer pocket seats all the way on the swaging head with out actually swaging it with the press - then it does not need to be swaged.

If it only goes down the swaging head partially or not flush with the swaging head -then it needs swaged.

You can use that swaging head to check, on or off the press.

Also if you decide on the swaging die - make sure it will work on your brand & type press. If I am not mistaken, certain presses cannot use that swaging die due to clearence issues.

Deep Creek Rock

.._. .._ _._. _._ .._
    This is what that swaging die looks like:

235832.jpg

And the technical info on it:

Product Information

The RCBS Primer Pocket Swager-2 has been redesigned to quickly remove the primer pocket crimp from a larger variety of cases than the original. Unlike reaming, the Pocket Swager Kit forms a perfectly round pocket that is the correct dimensions for American boxer-type primers. Combo comes with swaging heads for both large and small primer pockets. This tool also features swaging rods that are made form stronger higher tensile strength steel that more than doubles the strength when comparing to the original tool. Not for use on progressive presses.

Technical Information

Fits: Single stage and turret presses
    Function: Removes primer pocket crimps from military cases
    Material: Steel
    Kit Contains:
    •2 Swager rods: (Smallest is for 223 only)

•1 Case stripper
    •1 Large and 1 Small swager head (for primer pockets)
    •1 Swager die body with locking ring that has standard 7/8"-14 threads for use with standard single stage presses.
    Notes:
    •This is a press mounted system for removing the military crimp from cases.
    •If you are using the RCBS Big Max press you will need the optional Case Stripper for the Big Max Press. (Available only through RCBS - part number 09489).
    •If you are using the RCBS Model A-2 Press, you will need the optional Case Stripper Washer for the A-2 Press. (Available only through RCBS - part number 09488).
    •Please note that this combo is not adaptable for use with progressive reloading tools.

Winterborn

Moved to Texas
    Aug 19, 2010
    Arlington, TX

I have had to use it for surplus .45 (large primer pocket) and 9mm that I have picked up at various ranges.

j8064

Garrett Co Hooligan #1
    Feb 23, 2008
    Deep Creek

DocAitch

Jun 22, 2011
    North of Baltimore
    Ramer/swager

Depending on the source of your brass and the calibers that you load, you may no have to ream many cases.
    I have had to swage the primer pockets of .223, 9mm Luger (FC), 9mm MAK, and the occasional .38Spec and .40S&W. I haven't loaded much .308 or 30.06 so I can't tell if there is a need.
    While I do have a Dillon Superswage which I use for large numbers of .223 and 9mm MAK, I mainly use a Lyman primer pocket reamer (http://www.midwayusa.com/product/394805/lyman-power-chamfer-and-deburring-tool-set the third on the left) on an electric screw driver for the occasional round that ties up on my Dillon 650.
    I have also used the Lee reamer which runs about $4 or less and which will do the job but requires fairly good hand strength.
    DocAitch

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    I have the RCBS swaging die and never was able to make to work well.

I have a Dillon Super Swager 600 now, and it works WONDERFULLY.

I REALLY like Dillon products. :)

vafish

Mar 13, 2012
    Commonwealth of Virginia

Pretty much any milsurp caliber can have swaged primer pockets.

I've had to remove the primer crimp on 5.56, 9mm, .45 ACP, .308, and .30-06.

I don't do a lot of them so I just use a primer pocket reamer.

For $18 it is well worth it.

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/804809/hornady-primer-pocket-reamer-package

804809.jpg

Winterborn

Moved to Texas
    Aug 19, 2010
    Arlington, TX
    Lately when I gets case (range pickup) with a tight pocket I have been using the chamfer/deburr tool and just enlarging the picket enough to fit a primer.

Goes quicker than it sounds.

Sent from my EVO using Tapatalk 2

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Claude

Latest threads

Top Bottom