• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • mshilto89

Sep 6, 2012
    Aspen Hill, MoCo
    So the other day when I went to the range, I was asked by one of the clerks at the counter if I had cases for my Saiga 12 and my wife's M&P 15-22. He advised me that I needed to get one. Am I to understand that it is a requirement by MD law to have the weapon in a case while transporting them? Or is that something that is optional. Thanks in advance for the help guys.

MdGunFiend

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Jul 26, 2012
    It doesn't necessarily have to be a case does it? Don't brown bags work?

Thought it just had to be enclosed in something

I just keep my gun in a holster, and ammo in a brown bag

sgt23preston

USMC LLA. NRA Life Member
    May 19, 2011
    Perry Hall
    Sgt Preston here...

Forget about the law for a minute...

Common sense would say that "Evil Black Rifles" should be shielded from public view...

There are just too many anti-gunners out there...

They feed off of our "casualness" with our weapons...

Bag em...

j8064

Garrett Co Hooligan #1
    Feb 23, 2008
    Deep Creek
    I'm no lawyer either, but when transporting long guns B&F from anywhere it's good common sense to enclose them in rifle bags or cases and keep them out of view of any potential or inadvertant "prying eyes".

Think of the firearms...they need protection too. Duh...

mshilto89

Sep 6, 2012
    Aspen Hill, MoCo
    I'm no lawyer either, but when transporting long guns B&F from anywhere it's good common sense to enclose them in rifle bags or cases and keep them out of view of any potential or inadvertant "prying eyes".

Think of the firearms...they need protection too. Duh...

Yea, I was really excited to shoot the Saiga, I didn't want to wait to buy a case. I suppose that's kind of a slip up on my end.

Name Taken

Ultimate Member
    Feb 23, 2010
    Central
    In that section "handgun" means a short barrel shotgun/rifle as well as a handgun.

So if your shotgun and AR arent SB then you dont *have* to have it encased for transport.

It is however a VERY good idea. They make several cases that dont scream gun case.

Furthermore the Attorney General office indicated that Disturbing the Peace charges may be filed against someone for open carrying.

Food for thought.

mvee

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 13, 2007
    Crofton
    I think Baltimore city has a law that requires cases or racks for long guns.

anthem4arequiem

Jul 10, 2012
    Lexington Park
    IANAL but you only have to have regulated firearms in an enclosed case or enclosed holster. From what I was told by a state trooper, enclosed means it can't be removed with one motion, there has to be something holding it in.

Also on this note, it is legal, yes I said LEGAL, to open carry a LONG gun (as in non regulated long gun) in the state of MD. I am sure you will get stopped and put in handcuffs some time during the day for brandishing a weapon, reckless endangerment, etc. But that is useful knowledge when trying to remember the long gun laws.

Name Taken

Ultimate Member
    Feb 23, 2010
    Central
    IANAL but you only have to have regulated firearms in an enclosed case or enclosed holster. From what I was told by a state trooper, enclosed means it can't be removed with one motion, there has to be something holding it in.

The law doesnt mention regulated firearms...just handguns, SBS, and SBR.

Also there is nothing about retention. It needs to be an enclosed case or a holster. The box the gun came in, a slide in holster, an old school holster with a flap....all appear to be ok.

Anything else is added made up laws unless someone here can cite case law contary to what the law is.

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    Almost. There is no ( a ) between "or" and " holster" . Making the meaning an enclosed case , or enclosed holster. Kicking in the distinction of some sort of strap or retention device requiring seperate movement to release.

But back to the OP's situation : 4-203 pertains to "handguns" , case is not required for rifle by State Law ( consult usual refrences for pre-1985 local ordances) .

However it is wise and prudent to make use of a case for at least three seperate reasons : Not needlessly arouse the ire of lightwt yuppie neighbors , not needlessly advise the local burglars where to find cool stuff to steal , and to procect your firearms while in transit.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    angel45z

Latest threads

Top Bottom