• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • euler357

Industry Partner
    MDS Supporter
    Apr 6, 2011
    Odenton, Marylandistan
    I just finished purchasing 500# of recovered bullets (from a shooting range) for $250 delivered to my location in Baltimore City.

The guy who recovered it (Brian) cleaned it pretty good and I'm very happy with it. A lot of the bullets are jacketed but the copper should float to the top when melted and it is much easier to deal with that sorting wheel weights to exclude zinc.

I found him on Craigslist and he can be reached at: hood.b(at)verizon.net

Attachments

• 500lbs_lead.jpg
      500lbs_lead.jpg
      75.7 KB · Views: 295

Deep Creek Rock

.._. .._ _._. _._ .._
    I just finished purchasing 500# of recovered bullets (from a shooting range) for $250 delivered to my location in Baltimore City.

The guy who recovered it (Brian) cleaned it pretty good and I'm very happy with it. A lot of the bullets are jacketed but the copper should float to the top when melted and it is much easier to deal with that sorting wheel weights to exclude zinc.

I found him on Craigslist and he can be reached at: hood.b(at)verizon.net

Hope you plan on adding some form of an alloy to that - lead core in jacketed bullets are too soft to use alone.

Wheel weights may be a pain to sort- but they have anitimony (a chief hardner, and tin which improves castability, and hardens to a degree.

euler357

Industry Partner
    MDS Supporter
    Apr 6, 2011
    Odenton, Marylandistan
    I have superhard, monotype, 50/50 solder, 63/37 solder, ww, 96tin/4silver (makes shiny bullets and they kill werewolves), etc. that I add to make approximately a Lyman #2 alloy. I created a spreadsheet of what I have and solve the system of linear equations to find the correct alloy mixture. I've been casting .308 and .454 Casull so far but may expand to others when I get some more molds.

The guy says that they have a huge supply available if anyone else is interested in purchasing. They are only limited to the rate that they can recover them (about 300# at a time is what they told me).

euler357

Industry Partner
    MDS Supporter
    Apr 6, 2011
    Odenton, Marylandistan
    Also, I've been heat treating and get about 30 Brinell by heating for 1 hour at 350f then quenching. If I don't heat treat, they are about 15 Brinell.

bulletmen

Alpha Bravo Mfg
    Jun 6, 2011
    Hanover Pa
    Sounds like a good find.
    You have the right mix of metal to add to get what you want.
    Wheelweights are a mixed lots these days. Lots of zinc,iron,even plastic !
    The only ones worth the trouble are the big weights for truck tires.
    Very little if any tin in WW.
    One source of tin is pewter. Sometimes a trace of copper,but that can be fluxed out.

The copper jackets in the mix can sometimes be sold for scrap,depends on the scrap yard. Some take it,some do not.

www.bulletmen.com

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Spb5205

Latest threads

Top Bottom