• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • kfrede86

Ultimate Member
    Feb 22, 2010
    St. Marys
    The company I work for owns 16 acres in an industrial park in Calvert County. We have more than enough land to shoot on and I used to frog/squirrel hunt here when I was kid. But this was probably 20 years ago and I was only using a 22. Well my boss recently purchased a M&P 9 and would like a place to shoot. I told him that in order to shoot on private property you need to be at least 150yds away from any dwelling and have an adequate back stop. He was wondering if he would be able to clear some of the overgrown brush and build a small 50yd range. He is going to look into the rules of where we are and make sure it would be OK. Does anyone have any information that could tell us whether this would be legal or not?

I've searched and have found the codes/laws for Calvert.

http://gcp.esub.net/cgi-bin/om_isapi.dll?clientID=88440&advquery=firearm&infobase=ca1802.nfo&record={5F83}&softpage=Browse_Frame_Pg42

Would the land in question still fall under this or would it be up to the industrial park?

Thanks

Screwtop.243

Ouch...that thing kicks
    Jul 7, 2011
    People's republic of MD
    I could not access your link but I would guess that even if it is technically legal to discharge a firearm on the property, your company ain't gonna touch this one with a 10-foot pole. I hope your situation is different and if so, more power to ya!

One time, several years ago, I worked for a company in an industrial zoned area that had dozens of wooded acres adjacent to the shop. We all wanted to Bow hunt on the property (it was polluted with Deer). We approached HR on several occasions, and even agreed to sign some kind of "hold harmless" agreement. The company would simply not budge on their decision, claiming there was just too many ways they could get into hot water.

kfrede86

Ultimate Member
    Feb 22, 2010
    St. Marys
    It's not a large company. My uncle owns the company, owns the land the company is on and the VP wants to shoot on it. I'm sure he wouldn't mind letting us shoot on the property. When I did my frog/squirrel hunting everything was the same it was now. I'm just not sure if there would be restrictions since its within an industrial park. We have more than enough land.

Sorry about the link. Here's the thread i found it in.

http://www.mdshooters.com/showthread.php?t=59964

kfrede86

Ultimate Member
    Feb 22, 2010
    St. Marys
    he should just do it, its his property

I just wanna be sure we cover the companies ass before we do any shooting here. I don't think there is anything wrong with just going out back a shooting during lunch, that would be great, but I wouldn't want to be unknowingly breaking any local laws or rules of the location we're at. The companies been at it's current location for well over 20 years.

lx1x

Peanut Gallery
    Apr 19, 2009
    Maryland
    i can see being easy on private land (non-industrial area).. but to be safe.. i would call the county zoning and ask them if its ok.

kfrede86

Ultimate Member
    Feb 22, 2010
    St. Marys
    It's not your typical industrial park. Where we are its a lot of brush surrounded by woods with a few small ponds. We're a heavy construction company tucked way in the back and have loads of stone and dirt coming and going all the time. Setting up a makeshift berm wouldn't be hard. My boss is looking into rules and regulations for this area. This all started with him wanting a new handgun. He had asked me to bring in a few from my collection and fell in love with the M&P. Now he is wanting to shoot with not a lot of options in our area.

BradMacc82

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Aug 17, 2011
    If it's kosher, you'd better let us SoMd guys know, don't start holding out on us!!! :D

kfrede86

Ultimate Member
    Feb 22, 2010
    St. Marys
    We'll see what comes of it. I'm sure it wouldn't be a problem if a few friends went for a weekend range trip. I'm sure once my uncle gets back from his cruise we'll discuss this more. :thumbsup:

sailskidrive

Legalize the Constitution
    Oct 16, 2011
    Route 27
    I am. I'm working on getting a place to shoot! :)

You sound like the guys who work for me.... always surfing NewEgg and Tiger Direct. :rolleyes:

Calvert County has really changed alot; 15 years ago it was full of Tobacco farmers, pickup trucks, and small churches. Now it's full of 4500 sq/ft homes and accountant types who commute to DC.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Eric_Hehl

Latest threads

Top Bottom