• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • snavematt

say what?
    May 19, 2009
    Stafford, VA as of 5/7/13
    Gus at Accurate pawn has a sick Remmy 308 heavy barrel with expensive glass on it for under $2k, you should give him a call, it's one of the heaviest 308s I've ever picked up

BenL

John Galt Speaking.
    Savage they shoot great out of the box. 308 is a good all around choice

+1

I have a Savage 10FLCP-K in .308 from their "tactical" line, and couldn't be happier with it, right out of the box. Keep in mind, you'll want to spend some $$$$ on good glass.

2011-10-15170013.jpg

JamesBailey

Form Factor'ed!
    Jan 28, 2010
    Arlington VA
    Does your $800 to $2000 budget include a optic or is it just the budget for the rifle?

If its just for the rifle, I would get a Remington 700 short action, a barrel blank from a good shop (Hart, Kreiger, Rock Creek, Brux, etc), a stock that you can some day upgrade, and a Jewell trigger (trust me, you will be happy you went with one. you can thank me later:)) All this stuff for around $1300.

Then find a gunsmith who can put it together for you, including truing the action. I can recommend several. Probably run you $600, so you are under your $2000 by a hair.

As far as cartridge: I would go 308 if you don't reload. If you reload, I would go something in 6.5mm medium capacity (probably 260Rem).

Then, in future, you can can the cheap stock and get a McMillan/McRee/Manners/AICS and you will be all set :party29:

Af_catfish

Abandon All Hope
    Sep 6, 2011
    Bremen, Ohio
    I was faced with the same question myself earlier this year. I ended up getting a Remington 700P in .308. I got the .308 because it's a very accurate cartridge out to 800 yds and beyond. Plus I could buy match ammo from Federal for a reasonable price. Since I don't reload, this was a big plus. .300 Winmag & .338 Lapua are definitely fine calibers but at least for me they're a tad cost prohibitive. I was looking at Savage model 10s and Remington 700s. Growing up I shot my stepdad's Remington 700 PSS. So I'm a 700 guy. The Savages are fine rifles. I got my 700P for around a grand from Gun Connection in White Marsh.(I recommend them quite highly) That would leave you plenty of money for Glass. Whatever manufacturer you go with be sure to look for a heavy barrel, full floated barrel, and a good trigger. Years ago, in my ignorance, I bought a hunting rifle when I was meaning to buy a target rifle.
    Trying to decide what rifle to get is the worst part of the process. But it's all worth it when you finally get to the range and squeeze off that first shot.

Billman

Whiskey Tango Foxtrot?
    May 18, 2010
    Sykesville, MD
    You might want to take a look at the Remington 700 5R chambered in .308. In my opinion, it's a great factory rifle that can be had within your budget.

DarthZed

Ultimate Member
    Sep 25, 2010
    Howard County
    You might want to consider an AK in 7.62x39. The practice you'd gain from the extreme holdover will benefit you in your other shooting activities.:innocent0

Deep Creek Rock

.._. .._ _._. _._ .._
    Are your recoil shy? That plays a factor. If your sensitive to recoil -then go with a lighter recoil round like .308. If not -30-06, or even 300 Win Mag.

If you handload - the 06 will give you more bullet choices. If you dont handload, the .308 will be more cost effective. But if you want maximum accuracy -then you need to look into handloading.

At the ranges you stated (up to 400 yards)- vast majority of high power caliber would work, even a 270, hell even a 22-250.

As far as rifles - Im a big Remington 700 fan, and so are alot of other shooters.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    angel45z

Latest threads

Top Bottom