• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • jvegas

Ultimate Member
    Aug 15, 2009
    Not sure if this has been mentioned anywhere, but what do you all think of coming up with a few form letters of our own? I think we may have a better chance of flooding emails, fax machines, and snail mail if we have a few standard forms. Many people will not contact their reps because they either don't have time to write or can't think of what to say. If we offer some pre-written letters to members, maybe we will have more success. Just a thought.

ridethemessiah

Ultimate Member
    Aug 27, 2012
    Cecil County
    Not sure if this has been mentioned anywhere, but what do you all think of coming up with a few form letters of our own? I think we may have a better chance of flooding emails, fax machines, and snail mail if we have a few standard forms. Many people will not contact their reps because they either don't have time to write or can't think of what to say. If we offer some pre-written letters to members, maybe we will have more success. Just a thought.

not a bad idea at all. In fact someone already took my letter to delegate mike and used it as a template. we definitely have to overwhelm them with our letters to get anywhere.

Mr H

Banana'd

Anyone is welcomed to borrow from the letters I post (and I know some have already), but "templates", can backfire if the resulting letters are too similar.

jvegas

Ultimate Member
    Aug 15, 2009
    Anyone is welcomed to borrow from the letters I post (and I know some have already), but "templates", can backfire if the resulting letters are too similar.

I don't see them "back firing". Letters are not official, they just point out to the reps how their voters feel. Getting a bunch of the same letter is no different than getting a form letter as a reply. Also, getting 100 letters, no matter how similar, is better than getting 10 letters.

Whiskey

Sep 28, 2012
    Crownsville, MD
    Nice one.

Cathy Vitale is one I've swapped several mails with so far, and she has taken the additional step of reaching out to other 'pro' delegates, and asked them to keep us up to date.

I got a similar very supportive reply from delegate Vitale, and I nearly fell out of my chair when I got a phone call from sen. Ed Riley. He requested that we testify in support of the 2A bills.

I think I may not be doing something right. I wrote to Congressman Ruppersberger and got the following as a response:
    Dear lonevoiceofreason:

I am writing in response to your communication regarding the recent school shooting in Newtown, Connecticut. As a father and grandfather with many educators in my family, this tragedy touched me deeply. We are all keeping the Newtown families in our thoughts and prayers.

I believe strongly in the right to bear arms. But, like all constitutional rights, this isn't absolute. I do not believe that private citizens should be able to purchase weapons of war that can out-shoot our police officers and kill dozens of people within seconds, as recent tragedies have proven. The Newtown shooter, the Columbine killers and the gunman in Aurora all used assault weapons designed for our troops on the frontlines. The gunmen in Tucson, Fort Hood, Virginia Tech and Newtown were all armed with high-capacity magazines. In fact, the Newtown shooter was armed with enough ammunition to kill every student in the school.

As Congress renews its examination of our country's gun laws in the days ahead, I will continue to strive for legislation that strikes a fair and reasonable balance between the right to bear arms and making ultra-powerful weapons readily available to citizens intent on harming others. I will also fight for a more comprehensive solution that includes efforts to better identify and treat the mentally ill.

Please do not hesitate to contact me again in the future if you have any questions or comments. To receive additional information about issues that are facing Congress, Maryland, and the Nation that may affect you and your community, please visit my Web site at www.dutch.house.gov and sign up for my periodic e-mail newsletter.

Sincerely,

C.A. Dutch Ruppersberger
    Member of Congress

I guess the problem is, that I wrote this letter:

To the Rt. Honorable Ruppersberger:

I am a Democrat, one who voted for you in the past election and who has written to you before on many issues. We've had our differences, but I felt that you had the best interests of the district in mind. Now that all of this ridiculous assault weapons ban talk is going on, I want to know where you stand so I know whether or not to vote for you in 2014. I am a proud NRA member, and I do not want my rights hindered because some idiots who have no qualms about using the blood of innocents, want to push a law that would not have saved anyone! Tell the parents of the Columbine victims that the Assault weapon ban worked! Tell the victims of the DC sniper! What we need to do to end gun violence is help the poor get out of poverty, improve education for the children of the impoverished, and to end the stupid war on drugs! Do not take anymore of our rights or so help me, if I have anything to say about it you will be unemployed in 2014! Thank you for your time and I look forward to your response.

Maybe I was wrong in my approach or something as I was quite heated when I wrote this, but does his letter even address any of my concerns? It seems he just sent some chain letter with the same foolishness I get when I talk to any anti-gun person. Either way, I know who I am voting for in 2014, and his/her name will nt be Dutch Ruppersberger!

I think I may not be doing something right. I wrote to Congressman Ruppersberger and got the following as a response:
    Dear lonevoiceofreason:

I am writing in response to your communication regarding the recent school shooting in Newtown, Connecticut. As a father and grandfather with many educators in my family, this tragedy touched me deeply. We are all keeping the Newtown families in our thoughts and prayers.

I believe strongly in the right to bear arms. But, like all constitutional rights, this isn't absolute. I do not believe that private citizens should be able to purchase weapons of war that can out-shoot our police officers and kill dozens of people within seconds, as recent tragedies have proven. The Newtown shooter, the Columbine killers and the gunman in Aurora all used assault weapons designed for our troops on the frontlines. The gunmen in Tucson, Fort Hood, Virginia Tech and Newtown were all armed with high-capacity magazines. In fact, the Newtown shooter was armed with enough ammunition to kill every student in the school.

As Congress renews its examination of our country's gun laws in the days ahead, I will continue to strive for legislation that strikes a fair and reasonable balance between the right to bear arms and making ultra-powerful weapons readily available to citizens intent on harming others. I will also fight for a more comprehensive solution that includes efforts to better identify and treat the mentally ill.

Please do not hesitate to contact me again in the future if you have any questions or comments. To receive additional information about issues that are facing Congress, Maryland, and the Nation that may affect you and your community, please visit my Web site at www.dutch.house.gov and sign up for my periodic e-mail newsletter.

Sincerely,

C.A. Dutch Ruppersberger
    Member of Congress

I guess the problem is, that I wrote this letter:

"To the Rt. Honorable Ruppersberger:

I am a Democrat, one who voted for you in the past election and who has written to you before on many issues. We've had our differences, but I felt that you had the best interests of the district in mind. Now that all of this ridiculous assault weapons ban talk is going on, I want to know where you stand so I know whether or not to vote for you in 2014. I am a proud NRA member, and I do not want my rights hindered because some idiots who have no qualms about using the blood of innocents, want to push a law that would not have saved anyone! Tell the parents of the Columbine victims that the Assault weapon ban worked! Tell the victims of the DC sniper! What we need to do to end gun violence is help the poor get out of poverty, improve education for the children of the impoverished, and to end the stupid war on drugs! Do not take anymore of our rights or so help me, if I have anything to say about it you will be unemployed in 2014! Thank you for your time and I look forward to your response."

Maybe I was wrong in my approach or something as I was quite heated when I wrote this, but does his letter even address any of my concerns? It seems he just sent some chain letter with the same foolishness I get when I talk to any anti-gun person. Either way, I know who I am voting for in 2014, and his/her name will not be Dutch Ruppersberger!

Last edited:

Mr H

Banana'd
    Well, well... Looky what I got...

Dear Mr. "H":

Thank you for writing to express your concerns about gun control.

After the tragic shootings in Newtown, Connecticut, the message is clear: we must act now to protect our children, our families, and our communities from gun violence. That is why I plan to support a package of legislation that will reduce the prevalence of dangerous and illegal weapons in Maryland.

Marylanders need not fear that the legislature will take away their Second Amendment rights. I do not intend to prevent law-abiding individuals from keeping weapons that have a legitimate hunting or sporting use. However, I do feel that our current gun laws need to be strengthened.

I am sorry that we disagree on this issue, but I appreciate having the benefit of your views. Please feel free to contact me if I can be of assistance in the future.

Sincerely,
    Brian Frosh

I'll be sending off a well-considerd reply shortly, and will post it here.

Redneck

Ultimate Member
    Jan 29, 2007
    Sparrows Point
    Ive sent 3 emails to Dutch already requesting that he actually read my emails and not just send me an auto response that everyone gets.

hishaun84

Designated MD Collector
    Oct 18, 2011
    Annapolis, MD
    Thank you for contacting my office. I appreciate hearing from you, and I want you to know I received your email. If you have a scheduling request or need immediate assistance, please call my office at 410-841-3800.

As Speaker of the House, I often receive email from around the State encouraging me to support or oppose various proposals. I appreciate everyone who takes time to share their opinion. But I may not have the time to respond to every email since my priority is to my constituents in District 30.

If your email pertains to the status of a particular piece of legislation, I hope you will visit the General Assembly’s website at http://mlis.state.md.us. The site provides a wealth of useful information about the legislature, hearing schedules, briefings from the Department of Legislative Services, and bill information.

Again, thank you for contacting me. I appreciate your input.

Michael E. Busch, Speaker
    Maryland House of Delegates

Mr. Busch lives down the road from me and I met him the other night at the dog park. I was going to strike up a 2a conversation but I had just met him and didn't want to ruin his night haha :lol2: Next time I see him though, I'll try to pick his brain and I'll let you guys know what he says.

Mr H

Banana'd
    I think this is ready... thoughts???

Sen. Frosh,

I appreciate your response to my prior email regarding the events of the past few weeks in Clackamas, Newtown, and now Rochester.

As you are no doubt aware, all of these events--while tragic in every sense--were committed by individuals who already had shown disdain (if not outright contempt) for the law, and stole weapons for their heinous acts.

You state you are looking to "reduce the prevalence of dangerous and illegal weapons in Maryland," and I find that laudable. In fact, the overwhelming majority of gun crimes in the state are indeed committed with illegally obtained firerarms. To that end, I firmly believe that the focus of the General Assembly's efforts should be precisely focused there... To reduce the instances of violent crimes committed with ILLEGAL guns.

With all due respect, I must say that (based on your past positions) you have proven yourself either unaware, or willfully dismissive, of the role firearms play in the lives of Marylanders. You say you "do not intend to prevent law-abiding individuals from keeping weapons that have a legitimate hunting or sporting use," but there is more than that. There is an inherent--and CONSTITUTIONALLY PROTECTED--right of all people to self-protection, protection of our homes, and of our families.

I grew up in this great state, hunting and shooting with my Grandfather. He taught me to be respectful of nature, rules, safety, and the inherent power (and the resulting responsibility) of using a gun. I knew (as did many others I know who grew up similarly) that should I ever disregard any of those tenets, I would never again be permitted that opportunity.

Now that I am older (and a Grandfather myself), I do everything in my ability to see that my family, my home, and my rights are protected. There are several hundreds of thousands of people in Maryland who feel as I do, and are insistent on protecting everything they hold dear. They simply can (or do) not make their voices heard. I make a point to spread the word that our rights under the Second Amendment of the Constitution of the United States are under assault.

I don't expect my comments to change your mind. The history is what it is.

I do, however, want you to know that the interest in defeating what you have laid out over the years is building. Marylanders are, in increasing numbers, realizing that our state is part of a decreasing minority, as it is holding fast to a mindset which denies its citizens their most fundamental rights.

hooligan82

Ultimate Member
    Nov 2, 2011
    Baltimore county
    I think this is ready... thoughts???

Adding 3 gun, and any other similar competitions that are based around these rifles are "a legitimate sporting use" could help. You could add the turnout of these competitions as well. Maybe also mention a lot of people use them for hunting deer, boar, varmints etc. The rest is well written.

Redneck

Ultimate Member
    Jan 29, 2007
    Sparrows Point
    Adding 3 gun, and any other similar competitions that are based around these rifles are "a legitimate sporting use" could help. You could add the turnout of these competitions as well. Maybe also mention a lot of people use them for hunting deer, boar, varmints etc. The rest is well written.

My angle has been hunting in my emails. I use both my DPMS .308 AR10 and S&W .300blk AR15 to legally hunt whitetail and sika deer in the state of Maryland. Those are the only 2 rifles I use come gun season.

Hyp81

Ultimate Member
    Nov 25, 2012
    Dundalk, MD
    I really liked your reply Mr H. Well reasoned. I think momentum is building against unnecessary intrusions of the .gov into our lives in ALL ways... not just 2A related. People are getting fed up.

Re: CA Dutch Ruppersberger.... what do you expect? And good luck getting him out of office. Too many people in our district are mindless sheeple instead of thoughtful voters.

hooligan82

Ultimate Member
    Nov 2, 2011
    Baltimore county
    My angle has been hunting in my emails. I use both my DPMS .308 AR10 and S&W .300blk AR15 to legally hunt whitetail and sika deer in the state of Maryland. Those are the only 2 rifles I use come gun season.

I think you could be onto something here. The 2a isn't read the same way by us and anti-gun people. They look at these rifles and see them as an evil tool with one purpose. If we point out that these rifles are used by a large number of law abiding citizens for the exact reason they think 2a exists, it could help.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    J_Gunslinger

Latest threads

Top Bottom