• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • jdramsey

Troll hunter.
    Aug 5, 2009
    St. Mary's Co. MD
    Well I was about to start a thread on this very subject but the search tool did me right. Looks like it's been pretty well hashed over and still clear as mud.

Markp

Ultimate Member
    Dec 22, 2008
    Well I was about to start a thread on this very subject but the search tool did me right. Looks like it's been pretty well hashed over and still clear as mud.

It's unfortunate, but the bottom line is that each independent FFL will decide what they are comfortable with.. Many will not sell an AR-10 as not regulated, several FFL's won't sell any evil black rifle as not regulated, either to cover their asses or because they don't want to be involved with the intricacies of trying to sort out what is or is not regulated. I have even seen FFL's that have stated that a detachable box magazine makes a weapon regulated, completely wrong, but that's how they run their business.

Mark

Weber

USMC
    Oct 12, 2009
    Elkton, MD
    Do what I did, call the FFl and ask how they handle it.

If they handle it the way you approve, then use them, if not call a different one.

I only needed to send one pm to get my answer...

rseymorejr

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 28, 2011
    Harford County
    this just goes to illustrate how ridiculous MD gun laws are. We have people with no knowledge of guns at all making the laws.
    The result being that a good number of dealers, fearing the Gestapo kicking down the door and making their life miserable and sweating them on every little clerical error they can find, decide to err on the side of caution to cover their asses. I guess you can't blame them for that.
    You almost need to consult a lawyer anytime you decide to buy a new gun.
    ( if they can't ban guns, plan B is to make owning them as inconvenient and expensive as possible)

squirrels

Who cooks for you?
    Jan 25, 2008
    The law says the firearms listed "and their copies".

The AR10 cannot be a "copy" of the AR15 because it was made before the AR15.

QED

Omega21

Nov 27, 2010
    Traveling MD
    I do not possibly see how anyone could read the law and determine AR10's to be regulated in any variation.

I think there is another point to consider here that is not really mentioned although MarkP has alluded to - it's convoluted so stay with me:

1. If I was an FFL and I was selling AR10s, I would NOT care about the intiricacies of "is it a copy or is it not a copy" - I would just sell it as regulated.

2. Why: Because if I sell an AR10 in an unregulated fashion and then that buyer commits a crime with that AR10, any lawyer worth a damn would tell the victim's family to sue me for selling it as unregulated (among other evils I committed).

3. Now, many of us would argue, that it was perfectly legal for me to have sold it in an unregulated manner, right? I happen to agree but, in this case it's not about your or an FFL's interpretation of the law - it's about the jury's in that civil litigation case.

4. A jury (especially in a liberal state) will likely only see that you the FFL sold a AR-15 looking gun (only more powerful and deadly then a regular AR15) in an unregulated (read - quick, easy and irresponsible) way. AR-15 clone or not? Interchangeable parts or not? Who gives a crap?! That jury is going to see a big black evil BIG BROTHER of an AR-15 and wonder why you the dealer couldn't be bothered to do some extra paperwork that would have protected the public and this poor victim and maybe prevented this crime (doesn't matter if that's true, it sounds reasonable).

5. Remember - civil cases have different burdens then criminal ones.

6. Thinking about how a lawyer would present this case makes me reallize how completely logical it is for dealers to opt for handling any evil looking weapon in a regulated fashion. The way civil courts and liberal juries look at these weapons, it's not always about the technical aspect of the law, sometimes its about prudence and forethought (you can call it covering your ass if you like, I think these are better terms) on the part of the FFL.

Just my personal opinion - I'm not an FFL.

teratos

My hair is amazing
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 22, 2009
    Bel Air
    annihilation-time said:
    It's sad that we, law abiding citizens, fear our government.

Everyone should fear any form of government. It is a necessary evil. Power corrupts. It is human nature.....

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    DominicM

Latest threads

Top Bottom