• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • fivepointstar

Thank you MD-Goodbye
    Apr 28, 2008
    3rd Rock from the Sun
    I was at the range the other day and I saw a shooter had a silencer on a .22 pistol. I'm not asking this to be an asshat and I truely want to understand why people want a silencer for thier firearms?

To me.....the louder the bang on the firearm the bigger the "CDI Factor." So why does shushing the bang have its appeal? Please help me understand why pay the $200 investment?

Thanks

novus collectus

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    May 1, 2005
    Bowie
    They are fun and cool when using at the range. When not at the range there are a lot of uses for them.
    Imagine a rainy day and being able to plink indoors without scaring the neighbors.

mch28

Sep 20, 2007
    Middle of the night. 2 oppossums in the barn where the horses and chickens are. I took care of both of them without disturbing everything.

Plus no hearing protection required. I can shoot a lot without upsetting the neighbors.

mikec

Ultimate Member
    Dec 1, 2007
    Off I-83
    hearing protection.

BINGO. My lady has severe hearing issues and will not fire a gun fearing more damage. Yes, even with my being willing to buy any hearing protection I can find. I may end up getting a silencer for one of the .22's so she would shoot with me.

SCARCQB

Get Opp my rawn, Plick!
    Jun 25, 2008
    Undisclosed location
    Suppressors? A definite yes

Advantages:

Eliminates muzzle flash/ Blast
    Reduces Report
    Reduces Felt recoil
    Improves accuracy
    Awesome training tool/ minimizes flinching in new shooters
    Allows efficient communication in tactical operations
    Hides shooter's position
    Hearing protection
    Better cheekweld with rifles, no need for bulky ear protection
    Eliminates/ reduces muzzle blast ( A must for entry teams busting drug labs )
    Women love suppressed gun
    Because you are still allowed to own one or several
    Firing suppressed weapons results in instant gratification.
    Plus, It looks cool

AR-15s are extremely loud. I used to shoot ARs indoors and other shooters hated me for that. It was just annoying and inconsiderate. Mounting a suppressor on the same firearm actually reduces the report down to the level of a 22 short.Most people think you are firing a 22 conversion instead of full powered 5.56 rounds. On pistols, a Trident 9 / Multimount will quiet down a 147-158 grain 9mm to BB gun levels, 158's are down to mechanical noise. On short barreled rifles, suppressors also increase reliability as it produces extra backpressure to cycle the bolt.

For semi-auto rifles, it is still best to suppress a standard AR with its original gas impingement system.A PRI gasbuster charging handle will reduce gasses from blowing back into your face. The newer gas piston systems tend to leak gas and are noisier than standard ARs. This is also true for AKs, SIGs, FN 2000, SCARS, AUGs and similar piston systems. Bullpups are also horrible to suppress as gas is blown out of the ejection port and will always result in teary eyes. Suppressed weapons also get dirty because of the blowback and require more cleaning.

Attachments

• silent partners.jpg
      silent partners.jpg
      59.3 KB · Views: 571

rrrrrrkevin

Its comin right for me!
    Jul 18, 2008
    North Beach
    im with scar on this one but mainly on the point of how the gun feels shooting,I originally got it because I guess theyre so restricted that you naturally want to have it but it really changes the way the gun feels shooting and in my case it increased the accuracy. Ive always liked the pistols with the really long barrels also so i was sold pretty much the first time I felt it in my hands and looked down the sights and then when I took it in back to shoot it with no hearing protection it was all over for me.

JeepDriver

Self confessed gun snob
    Aug 28, 2006
    White Marsh
    Eliminates muzzle flash/ Blast
    Reduces Report
    Reduces Felt recoil
    Improves accuracy
    Awesome training tool/ minimizes flinching in new shooters
    Allows efficient communication in tactical operations
    Hides shooter's position
    Hearing protection
    Better cheekweld with rifles, no need for bulky ear protection
    Eliminates/ reduces muzzle blast ( A must for entry teams busting drug labs )
    Women love suppressed gun
    Because you are still allowed to own one or several
    Firing suppressed weapons results in instant gratification.
    Plus, It looks cool

10-4.

Shooting un-suppressed is rude.

After shooting next to 2 unsuppressed AR's I learned quickly to appriciate suppressors. I only have one screw on 5.56 can. But I just ordered a QD 5.56 can (SWR A2-RA), all my AR's will have A2 flash hiders on them (well aside from the 11.5" I have my screw on can attached to).

I already have 2 9mm cans as well as 2 22 cans. I will continue to buy suppressors as money allows. (Damn economy! If only I hadn't wasted all my money on beer and strippers. )

After this new 5.56 can arrives and is paid for, a YHM 7.62 Phantom will be inbound. I am really looking foward to shooting my M1A suppressed.

sje0123

Ultimate Member
    Feb 28, 2007
    Abingdon, MD
    Since we are on the silencer topic, say you had multiple .22 guns. Would you be able to attach the same silencer to each? I guess my question is, does the tax stamp go with the gun where I'd buy a tax stamp for each, or the silencer where I pay for the stamp once and that's it?

SCARCQB

Get Opp my rawn, Plick!
    Jun 25, 2008
    Undisclosed location
    Since we are on the silencer topic, say you had multiple .22 guns. Would you be able to attach the same silencer to each? I guess my question is, does the tax stamp go with the gun where I'd buy a tax stamp for each, or the silencer where I pay for the stamp once and that's it?

You may use the same can with multiple host guns. You only need one tax stamp for each can.

As an example, I use my AAC m4200 can on three ARs, an FNC, an AUG and an AC556. One can multiple guns

rrrrrrkevin

Its comin right for me!
    Jul 18, 2008
    North Beach
    I dont really shoot the rifle tho,the effects are alot less on a rifle. it pretty much just makes it quiet,would that be irony?

sje0123

Ultimate Member
    Feb 28, 2007
    Abingdon, MD
    You may use the same can with multiple host guns. You only need one tax stamp for each can.

As an example, I use my AAC m4200 can on three ARs, an FNC, an AUG and an AC556. One can multiple guns

Well then that definitely makes it worth it then. Hmmm... One may be in my safe in the future.

boatbiologist

Nov 6, 2008
    Glen Burnie
    1-worth mentioning is suppressors as a barrel extention for added muzzle awareness for novice handgun shooters. My son would have surely shot off the fingers of his left hand when he was a pre teen without one.

2-New shooters learn proper technique in a day rather than unlearning bad habits the rest of their lives. No flinch, no fear, just technique. It is amazing.

3-Also live on a few acres and shoot suppressed subsonics to my hearts content. Could not do that without neighbor conflict unsuppressed.

4- "phht...................CLANGG" makes me smile.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Spb5205

Latest threads

Top Bottom