• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • boothdoc

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 23, 2008
    Frederick county
    My son wants a fishing KAYAK and or Canoe. Where to buy? Mainly fishing stuff no rapid running.

Ideas

Russ D

Ultimate Member
    Nov 10, 2008
    Sykesville
    BPS has a decent selection. I think I'm gonna get one this year myself. I just have to get under 200#'s befpre I'll let myself get in one.

boothdoc

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 23, 2008
    Frederick county
    I haven't been under 200 since I was 19yrold. Maybe I will get a three seater one for my butt one for my belly and one for my gear?

TOWcritter

Self Sufficent Sovereign
    If you ' re feeling handy, I'll sell you my CLC wooden kayak hand built by yours truly for cheap. It's a wooden boat that needs some fiberglass work and that's it. It's too heavy for me to lift since my back surgery and needs some TLC. Its a good stable kayak and I was 240 lb the last time in it. Ocean going, over built , and it only weighs around 54 pounds. PM me and I'll send a pic of my fat ass in it. LOL...

PS....I caught some nice fish up on the flats....15+ pounders...its fun.

Spot77

Ultimate Member
    May 8, 2005
    Anne Arundel County
    I'm not endorsing them or anything....in fact I really don't care for the store but Dick's usually has a great selection of kayaks and really good prices on them.

BeltBuckle

Ultimate Member
    Feb 14, 2008
    MoCo, MD
    REI is having a sale now, thorugh the 10th. 20% off of any single full price item for members. I bought my 10yo son a flatwater kayak there last year. Got another one very much like it by cruising Craigslist for a few weeks, but about a third the price.

How big is your son? You have a ton of options, many good ones already mentioned.

good luck and happy paddling!

JasonMD85

Aug 16, 2006
    My neighbor has a metal canoe that has been stored in his yard for at least 20 years. Never been used in that 20 years. Not sure if he would part with it though, I will ask when I see him tomorrow.

MDHunter

Ultimate Member
    Mar 12, 2007
    Free America
    Sit-on-Top?

I have an 11' sit-on-top that I use to fish on the Potomac (Harper's Ferry and Brunswick) as well as fish in reservoirs and lakes. It weighs about 43 pounds, has storage compartment inside as well as behind the seat. If your son has never been in a kayak much, you may want to consider a sit-on-top - no worries if you tip it over, easy to learn, and easy to carry from truck to water's edge.

boothdoc

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 23, 2008
    Frederick county
    Thanks for all the advice
    I ended up getting him an old towne dirigo 120 angler kayak. H is now welding up a small tube steel trailer so he can tow it behind his 4-wheeler to the local watering hole. We are al;so going out on the monocay Sat to try our luck with some small mouth bass.

MDHunter

Ultimate Member
    Mar 12, 2007
    Free America
    Be really careful on the river this weekend, all of the rivers are running really high and there's lots of submerged logs you can't see.

Darkness

May 29, 2008
    Mount Airy
    i picked up my kayak at dicks. it was reasonably priced and has served me well. its been all up and down the coast from here to south florida.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Sarca

Latest threads

Top Bottom