• Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • DennisCA

I am finishing up a stock using one part tung oil and one part mineral spirits.
    Before I reassemble it, do I put anything on the stock as top coat or am I'm GTG?

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    I may be talking through my arse but, if the finish feels dry, give it a good buffing and you should be GTG. I'd give it over night.

Crab Bait

Ultimate Member
    Mar 2, 2011
    Pasadena
    I'd say GTG. But I'm no expert.

You are doing multiple coats and sanding with really really fine grit sandpaper between, right? I used 600 grit if memory serves.

Neutron

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Nov 20, 2014
    severna park
    Why are you cutting the tung oil with minerial spirits? Pure tung oil should be fine. Several coats with a light sanding in between coats should be fine.

Threeband

The M1 Does My Talking
    Dec 30, 2006
    Carroll County
    I would give it multiple coats of tung oil.

"Once a day for a week, once a week for a month, once a month for a year, once a year forever." After a few coats, you can use it straight, without the mineral spirits.

I confess, I've never actually put that many coats on. But do give it 6 or 8 anyway.

Just a little bit, rubbed in briskly.

Threeband

The M1 Does My Talking
    Dec 30, 2006
    Carroll County
    Why are you cutting the tung oil with minerial spirits? Pure tung oil should be fine. Several coats with a light sanding in between coats should be fine.

Thinning the oil helps the first few coats penetrate.

Many do apply the oil with fine steel wool. I just rub it in by hand, briskly, to generate heat. Other people warm the oil. Some do apply it with ultra-fine wet-dry sandpaper.

Please do not sand the stock of a C&R firearm. Just don't. Please.

DennisCA

Thinning the oil helps the first few coats penetrate.

Many do apply the oil with fine steel wool. I just rub it in by hand, briskly, to generate heat. Other people warm the oil. Some do apply it with ultra-fine wet-dry sandpaper.

Please do not sand the stock of a C&R firearm. Just don't. Please.

It's a replacement stock: unstained stock.
    03%20Stock_zpsxbxtj2fx.jpg

Machodoc

Old Guy
    Jun 27, 2012
    Just South of Chuck County

I agree that you don't need to cut the tung oil with mineral spirits--unless you are starting with bare wood and you want the first coat to penetrate a bit more.

As for the rest, it's not bad advice if you're building furniture, but usually not what you want for a military firearm stock. As a general rule, we stay away from sanding, unless you really know what you are doing, and the look that you are after. Next, "several coats" of tung oil will give you a very pretty finish, but it's going to be a bit too "deep" and shiny to look right on most military rifles. Most American and many European military rifles were finished pretty much just enough to seal up the wood and protect it from water. (This will vary, of course, by firearm type, period, and country of origin.)

For the unfinished stock, you'll just have to play it by ear and see how it looks as you go along. Once you get a little build-up of very dry tung oil, you can take the slight bumps (in the finish--not the wood) down with a light brushing using 0000 ultra-fine steel wool, being sure to then wipe off any steel wool residue before doing more.

Some people like to put a coat of hard wax over the finished stock, and that's a good way to knock down the shine if it gets to be too glossy, but I prefer not to use wax. It can make it difficult to later touch up the stock with another oil rub if you need to do that a year or two down the road.

fred333

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Dec 20, 2013
    "Once a day for a week, once a week for a month, once a month for a year, once a year forever." After a few coats, you can use it straight, without the mineral spirits.

That's the formula I followed when I replaced the stock, but used boiled linseed oil instead of tung oil. Came out just fine.

BeltBuckle

Ultimate Member
    Feb 14, 2008
    MoCo, MD
    I've used BLO and Tung oil, and prefer the latter. BLO tends to darken more with time, esp. if exposed to sunlight. Tung oil not so much.

Some folks say to avoid the use of steel wool, as that can lead to metal fragments getting impregnated in the stock that produce rust spots. I have used brass wool (000 or 0000) between coats to smooth the finish with excellent results, and never needed more than ~3 coats. YMMV depending on the starting condition/history of your stock.

Most important advice - don't try to rush anything. Put on a coat and let it sit for at least 24h, rub it out, see what you think. Rinse & repeat ad libitum.

Good luck.

Machodoc

Old Guy
    Jun 27, 2012
    Just South of Chuck County
    I've used BLO and Tung oil, and prefer the latter. BLO tends to darken more with time, esp. if exposed to sunlight. Tung oil not so much.

Some folks say to avoid the use of steel wool, as that can lead to metal fragments getting impregnated in the stock that produce rust spots. I have used brass wool (000 or 0000) between coats to smooth the finish with excellent results, and never needed more than ~3 coats. YMMV depending on the starting condition/history of your stock.

Most important advice - don't try to rush anything. Put on a coat and let it sit for at least 24h, rub it out, see what you think. Rinse & repeat ad libitum.

There's an argument for using BLO for just that reason. The darkening is desired by guys who want original-looking stocks, and BLO is what was used on 1903s and M1s.

As for using steel wool ... yep! That's why I said to only use it when it's very dry and to wipe it down carefully. A microfiber cloth does a great job. Steel wool is very unlikely to leave fragments in a hard-dried finish.

Good advice on not rushing anything!

noahhh

Jan 28, 2009
    Arnold,Md
    Another vote to not add mineral spirits to the oil. What'll happen is the solvent will penetrate deeply but not the oil- it doesn't "carry" the oil into the wood with it. Just use the (pure) tung oil or BLO as-is and be done with it. (The "tung oil finish" you find at the hardware store is nothing more than a thinned wiping varnish.)

I always give it a coat of paste wax when done, not for the bit of shine it produces but rather to actually give the wood a modicum of water protection. If oil touchup needs done at a later date, just wash the wax off with mineral spirits and re-wax again when done. Straight oil finishes are a notoriously poor water vapor barrier, but are necessary for authenticity. The reason the gov't arsenals used oil finishes was because they were quick and cheap, not because they were the very best finishes possible.

I once finished a repro Springfield stock with nothing but paste wax and "boned" it with a polished rib bone. It turned out looking like a stock that a pre-war GI sat and boned whiled sitting on his bunk.

smdub

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Nov 14, 2012
    MoCo
    Another vote to not add mineral spirits to the oil. What'll happen is the solvent will penetrate deeply but not the oil- it doesn't "carry" the oil into the wood with it.

You have data to back this up? Its in solution not suspension. The solvent will help carry it to anywhere the molecule will fit since it is lowering surface tension. As a long time woodworker I know that if you section a finished sample you can tell the finish went deeper.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Ababe1120

Latest threads

Top Bottom