Lightweight Rifle lenght handguards with FSP?

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Slimjim

Ultimate Member
    Mar 6, 2007
    I'm looking for a lightweight 12" handguard for an AR with rifle length gas, one that will not leave a gap at the end of the rail between it and the FSP, does anyone know what my options are? Currently I'm looking at one of the drop in rail sets from Midwest Ind. Because I won't have to worry about the gap with it using the standard handguard cap, and this rifle was plenty accurate with the KAC non free floated rail installed. But if i can get a little bit more accuracy out of it by going free float, I will.

Slimjim

Ultimate Member
    Mar 6, 2007
    Daniel defense Omega drop in .

I said light weight, thats still dangerously close to the KAC rails 16 OZ weight at 13oz. The midwest industries drop in is 9.7 before barrel nut, HG cap and delta ring weight of 2.8.

covertpanda

Penguin Hunter
    Sep 10, 2013
    Carroll
    I have an MI 12" on my new 3Gun rifle. It's light!!! The only downside is that it heats up somewhat faster than some of the other tubes I've handled. The carbon fiber tubes are crazy lightweight but they do cost a bit more than a SSGenII. If you do go with the MI, you might want to invest in their plastic panel kit.

Nemesis

Russian Grizzly Adams
    Oct 3, 2009
    Martinsburg, WV
    http://www.midwestindustriesinc.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=category.display&category_ID=450

just my .02, i looked at alot of systems for my next build...this midwest offering stands out for the following reasons (for this type of build anyway)

-light, super light...the 15" comes in at just under the weight of my 9" centurion c4.
    -no excess rail space all over the place, but with the option to easily add more where needed
    -free float, fully and truly free floated compared to other options
    -color options...not a deal breaker but it sure helps
    -easy to install
    -price...midwest makes some damn good products at very good prices

ObsceneJesster

Ultimate Member
    Jan 31, 2011
    http://www.midwestindustriesinc.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=category.display&category_ID=450

just my .02, i looked at alot of systems for my next build...this midwest offering stands out for the following reasons (for this type of build anyway)

-light, super light...the 15" comes in at just under the weight of my 9" centurion c4.
    -no excess rail space all over the place, but with the option to easily add more where needed
    -free float, fully and truly free floated compared to other options
    -color options...not a deal breaker but it sure helps
    -easy to install
    -price...midwest makes some damn good products at very good prices

Comparing that particular Midwest to the C4 is Apples and Oranges. Of course the C4 is going to be heavier. It's not a modular system like the MI you're referring to.

A better comparison would be the Centurion CMR rail which is also a modular rail. Yea you're going to pay more but rightly so.

Sent from my SGH-T999 using Tapatalk 4

rafael

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Sep 28, 2013
    The Lancer carbon fiber handguards are really light weight. I was amazed when I got mine on how light it really felt. For a rifle length its 11oz total.

http://www.lancer-systems.com/business-areas/small-arms/products/carbon-fiber-handguard/

I second this. I have one on my AR and it makes a very big difference in weight. Very happy with it, but it was around $300. I was told recently that by a dealer recently that a new line is just on the horizon (but isn't something always)... all round I believe. See pic.

Slimjim

Ultimate Member
    Mar 6, 2007
    After looking at some of the options, And making some phone calls, I believe I will be going with the rainier arms version of the samson evolution rail (I like the triangles more than the S's). I would have gone with the MI drop in, but was informed it wasnt stable enough for mounting a laser too without POI shift.

Apd09

May 30, 2013
    Westminster, MD
    After looking at some of the options, And making some phone calls, I believe I will be going with the rainier arms version of the samson evolution rail (I like the triangles more than the S's). I would have gone with the MI drop in, but was informed it wasnt stable enough for mounting a laser too without POI shift.

You make your decision yet? If not, I know you may not want the DD Omega but if you didn't see it Midway is selling off the DD M4 9.5" FSP and they just dropped the price again down to 145. It weighs 10oz so not sure if you think that too heavy. If you haven't bought yet and want to look here is the link.

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/39...aluminum-black?cm_cat=Cart&cm_pla=ProductDesc

Slimjim

Ultimate Member
    Mar 6, 2007
    You make your decision yet? If not, I know you may not want the DD Omega but if you didn't see it Midway is selling off the DD M4 9.5" FSP and they just dropped the price again down to 145. It weighs 10oz so not sure if you think that too heavy. If you haven't bought yet and want to look here is the link.

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/39...aluminum-black?cm_cat=Cart&cm_pla=ProductDesc

Yes, I made my decision, I went with a Fortis REV 14" handguard. 11oz in weight.

BeltBuckle

Ultimate Member
    Feb 14, 2008
    MoCo, MD
    Yes, I made my decision, I went with a Fortis REV 14" handguard. 11oz in weight.

any feedback on how well you like it now that you've had it for a while? I'm in the market for something like that and the Fortis does look pretty good...

thanks in advance!

DaemonAssassin

Why should we Free BSD?
    Jun 14, 2012
    Political refugee in WV
    any feedback on how well you like it now that you've had it for a while? I'm in the market for something like that and the Fortis does look pretty good...

thanks in advance!

I have a 14" Fortis REV rail from Engage and I love the thing. I put it on a precision build, instead of going with the DD Omega X Rail I really wanted, just to save a decent amount of weight. If you would like to check it out one day, send me a PM and we'll meet up.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Sarca

Latest threads

Top Bottom