• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    ^^^This. A professional thief will get into almost any safe given enough time. Most burgulars wont want to waste time breaking into a decent safe. My big dogs and alarm system ensure that the thieves won’t want to hang around my house for long. Good luck.

I am protecting against kids, fire and snatch and grabs. I am not attempting to protect from professional thieves. If I ever do expand my safe space and I have some guns that are really irreplaceable/really expensive I likely will look at getting a small safe that can store a few firearms that has a high fire rating, is much thicker steel and also can be more easily hidden away somewhere.

As pointed out, short of tens of thousands of dollars budget, nothing is really break in proof. But I’d like one resistant enough I does take significant fractions of an hour by someone who knows what they are doing and has the tools to get in, plus higher fire resistance and preferably water resistance as well.

Some day.

Boom Boom

Hold my beer. Watch this.
    Jul 16, 2010
    Carroll
    Anybody have any experience with the Sentry Fire Gun Safes?

They are visual deterrents, not safes. They can be cracked opened by a knowledgeable thief with the right tools in a few minutes. A crowbar is usually good enough. If you have a smaller model, one or two guys can roll it out the door on a hand truck.

If you can, invest in a quality safe. Starting points are Liberty and Champion. If you can swing it, go for better options like Superior (owned by Champion) or AmSec. If you can't afford any of those, Winchester safes (imported Chinese) are a decent choice but still fall well short of the others I just mentioned.

As a point of reference, my "small" AmSec (roughly 30"x30"x36") weighs 1,300 pounds empty. A thief could likely never crack the dial combination, cut through the sides, or wheel it up the stairs and out the door. Most people call it overkill, but it depends on the value of what you're protecting. Don't cheap out on a safe if what you're putting in it is worth way more money than the safe.

JamesCanby

Apr 5, 2011
    Alexandria, VA
    First, they have to get into my building. Then they have to get into my apartment through an alarmed steel firedoor. If they somehow do that, they will have to somehow not set off the motion detector. If they get that far, any attempt to open the alarmed safe will take them far longer than it takes the police to arrive.

All that assuming I'm not at home. If I *am* home, they will have to get past a trained, armed defender whose loaded firearm is NOT in the safe, and in Virginia one's dwelling is considered "highly defensible property" where deadly force to repel intruders is justified. This is not bravado, just preparation.

The only advice I could give (which the safe salesman originally offered and I foolishly ignored) is to buy a bigger safe than you think you'll ever need. As others have posted, the number of firearms you own will always expand to fill the space provided for storage.

j.smooth4

Feb 24, 2017
    Laurel, MD
    the the stack on 24 gun safe or their 24 gun cabinet. I got the cabinet because its only 100 or lbs holds a good amount of firearms and I plan on living in apartments a few more years before I buy a house.

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    Whatever you end up getting buy these. My Liberty was suppose to hold 23 or 24 I think..But with optics it held more like 15. I bought these and I can now get 14 on each side. https://www.storemoreguns.com/

Rifle Rods

Yup. I am going to be there soon. I am at 11 and an upper for long guns in my 25 gun safe. I can maybe fit 5 on the one side and then it’ll be full up. I figure rifle rods are only a few years away. If not more like 2. I am not going to like it being harder to get to stuff, but frankly it isn’t like I pull stuff out daily and whatever is “needed” is going to be at the very front and/or in an underbed storage cabinet.

boothdoc

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 23, 2008
    Frederick county
    Stop playing around, form up some walls and install one of these.

Attachments

• F5117637-3597-42EA-8671-DEEE67163CB7.png
      F5117637-3597-42EA-8671-DEEE67163CB7.png
      16 KB · Views: 120

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    SrAIC

Latest threads