WWII Victory Pistol -- has this been re-parked?

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • BeltBuckle

Ultimate Member
    Feb 14, 2008
    MoCo, MD
    Calling all C&R junkies -- I've been looking for a WWII S&W Victory pistol in .38 and stumbled across this

http://karlsattic.com/Smith_and_Wesson_Victory_Pistol/Smith_and_Wesson_Victory_Pistol_For_Sale.html

It appears to be in sufficiently good shape that I am suspicious. I am not as familiar as I'd like to be with parkerized finishes, but I wonder if the finish on that is original, or if it has been reparked. Any and all comments/instruction would be most appreciated, & thanks in advance.

Jul 1, 2012
    It has an FTR marking - Factory Thorough Repair.
    That indicates (to me anyway) that the British did a complete overhaul on it in 1955.
    It also has an import mark.
    You can find far nicer all original ones for that price or less...
    I'd steer clear personally.

oh yeah, if you look closely you can see the sandblasted surface underneath the park'd finish, that's classic overhaul indication (reference to Hi Powers that have been FTR'd).
    Also old pitting around the S&W logo on left rear frame and the lanyard ring.

Superb pictures though!

Jul 1, 2012
    Here's a good (albeit a little worn) example for comparison....

http://www.gunauction.com/buy/13225515/

Note the machining marks on the frame and barrel.
    And... wait for it... the "V" prefix to the serial number.
    This is a rarer variant so pricing will be a bit more...

BTW - the gun referenced in OP isn't a "true" victory model I don't believe since it doesn't have the "V" prefix :)

http://www.dillonprecision.com/docs/Dec-07p36.pdf
    In April 1942, serial numbers of these revolvers were prefixed with a “V” for
    Victory, and the revolvers for both countries were henceforth known as Victory Models.

It's possible it was a pre-1942 British Contract gun but this is beyond my knowledge.
    Doesn't really matter, as a collector it doesn't have much value due to the refurb and import mark IMHO

BeltBuckle

Ultimate Member
    Feb 14, 2008
    MoCo, MD
    THANKS!! I picked up on the pitting, esp in pic 3, but did not know what FTR meant. And I concur -- way overpriced in view of those facts.

As for the unit on Gunauction, that looks much more like it.

Thanks again!

BeltBuckle

Ultimate Member
    Feb 14, 2008
    MoCo, MD
    well, I was planning to go after the one you pointed out, but as you can see http://www.gunauction.com/buy/13225515 it's gotten a little spendy. More than I feel comfortable shelling out at the moment, but if we were a month or two down the road...

Thanks again for the tips. I will renew my hunt with a better sense of the variables. Feel free to ping me if you see anything similar, and I'll be happy to find a way to return the favor.

Jul 1, 2012
    Will do.

JTD auctions tend to attract a lot of interest and and big bucks.
    Not surprised this one is high, probably will go a few more hundred.

He's always got good stuff, he does the research; the pics are always 1st class and show everything.
    One of the few dealers out there that I would have no hesitation buying from - and very C&R friendly.

Jul 1, 2012
    Will do.

JTD auctions tend to attract a lot of interest and and big bucks.
    Not surprised this one is high, probably will go a few more hundred.

He's always got good stuff, he does the research; the pics are always 1st class and show everything.
    One of the few dealers out there that I would have no hesitation buying from - and very C&R friendly.

BeltBuckle

Ultimate Member
    Feb 14, 2008
    MoCo, MD
    You were right: it went for $1,531. Nice lookin' piece. man, that's the whole package right there - nice piece, rare edition, complete with leather... sigh...

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Sarca

Latest threads

Top Bottom